Bought budget gas: turbo-lag effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won a $40 gift card from a store and they use budget gasoline(I will not say the name because I know the manager and he is my friend).

$40 gave me near-full tank of gas. Within 100 miles, I've noticed my Elantra had a feeling equivalent to bad turbo lag at low RPMs. After 2,800 RPM, the engine ran fine. When I accelerate up to 2,800 RPM, the lag and power was pretty bad but the engine, otherwise, ran smooth.

The next week and a half, I bought some Chevron Techron gas treatment and filled the tank up with Shell gasoline. After 30 miles, the turbo-lag effect went away and the engine ran normal.

Was I a victim of a bad tank of gasoline? What could cause this turbo-lag effect? What are some symptoms of bad gasoline? To those who think it's a maintenance issue, all maintenance was done, spark plugs and wires being most recent.

I guess the budget gas could have had a lower octane and the car starting pulling timing to avoid knocking. You would probably notice this most at lower rpms as well.
On my scangauge you can watch the timing advance change in real time so it would've been interesting to see what your car was doing before and after you put in the good gas.

Knock sensors with a feedback loop to the ECU are a good thing, but since you don't hear "ping" with them you have to rely on the seat of the pants "G" meter, or a scan tool to get a feel for what's up with the gas quality.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
I won a $40 gift card from a store and they use budget gasoline(I will not say the name because I know the manager and he is my friend).

$40 gave me near-full tank of gas. Within 100 miles, I've noticed my Elantra had a feeling equivalent to bad turbo lag at low RPMs. After 2,800 RPM, the engine ran fine. When I accelerate up to 2,800 RPM, the lag and power was pretty bad but the engine, otherwise, ran smooth.

The next week and a half, I bought some Chevron Techron gas treatment and filled the tank up with Shell gasoline. After 30 miles, the turbo-lag effect went away and the engine ran normal.

Was I a victim of a bad tank of gasoline? What could cause this turbo-lag effect? What are some symptoms of bad gasoline? To those who think it's a maintenance issue, all maintenance was done, spark plugs and wires being most recent.

Popinski,
If you use a no name brand of gas what I usually do is add a large bottle of Chevron "Techron" or Gumouts "Regaine" in the gas tank every other month. Try that regiment and see what happens.

Durango

Does his car have a turbo or was that just an expression to explain the engine's behavior? I was not aware Elantra came with a turbo engine.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Does his car have a turbo or was that just an expression to explain the engine's behavior? I was not aware Elantra came with a turbo engine.

Pretty sure it was the latter.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
OP doesn't have to name the station location but just what brand of gas was this?

Don't know. Manager says "budget gasoline". Usually family stores in my area use cheaper fuel and they're 1-2 cents lower than other gas stations.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Naturally Aspirated and it behaved like a poorly designed turbo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back