Boss is being a royal pain in the...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you an essential employee or not? It sound like you have contempt for your boss if you think he can do your job but is otherwise too lazy to do so.

What level of interest do you have in this job if you won't move near or show up when it's not sunny? Not his problem. If you're already thinking of retirement your mind isn't on the peoples' business. Shape up or move aside for a replacement who'll pull his weight.

There is also the unspoken thesis that a 5 hour commute is okay *IF* you have a reliable car, which you don't, because it's in the shop. And you can't plan ahead and find an alternate way in despite ample time to do your "adulting".

Rent a car, get a room, report for duty.

Did you decide to live 5 hours away or your boss?

Frankly, it isn't your bosses problem you chose to live so far away.

If I'm in your shoes you should've left today and dealt with it.

Grampi, when you get down to it, what will happen when you don't show up Tuesday? Don't disrespect the guy. Just do what you feel is right for you. Being a Fed employee, there are procedures for both sides of this, I'm sure.

my previous boss was quite a stroke: denied berievement leave for my step-mom; demanded to know why I was out of work one day for a hospital stay; etc. all stuff that is illegal for him to ask or deny.

there are, unforunately, many managers who should not be managing people but got their positions for the wrong reasons.
I am VERY flexible with my team - right up until the point that I need them to be there when I need them - which is usually with plenty of notice.

It does seem that he is holding it against you that you live far away. although that is not his problem or concern. when I worked out of state I always got grief over it. whatever.

I don't have any magic advice other than - tough it out for the two remaining years.

1. It's not his effing business where you live or why you live there.

2. The size of your boss's body is inversely proportional to the size of a certain part of his body that also happens to be his namesake.

3. Snow is kinda dangerous, no matter how he feels.

I hear you on your situation. My mother used to work for NY Department of Health. Run by a bunch of nut cases, ironically enough. When the bad storms would come through, they'd give her a 2WD Jeep XJ with summer tires to drive back and forth to work.

One day, she ended up putting that Jeep into 3 feet of water in a culvert after hitting black ice, and they opened an investigation on her. Apparently nobody could understand how a Jeep God Cherokee could leave the road in the middle of a snowstorm, and accused her of negligence.

In responding to the situation, she asked for verification of her supervisor's identification over concerns an inmate had stolen their stationery and written a bogus complaint......on the record. They were none too amused but dropped the complaint and investigation.

But I'm not surprised your boss can't appreciate your situation. His car probably sticks to the road like tarred up Velcro with fat [censored] sitting in it.

If I were you, I'd start leaving pamphlets for helper springs, air-lift springs, farm veterinarians, pig feed, or farm animal books with Maxim covers pasted to the front on his desk.

If you think that's too mean, get empty bottles of high ticket booze from your local bar, fill with tap water, gift wrap, and leave it on his desk. That way, even if you're caught, you can't get in trouble. I did that one so many times I can't even remember.

Wow, that's maturity for you...that behaviour would get YOU on the carpet for workplace bullying.

Originally Posted By: faltic
I've been that boss. Reading your post I wondered what is the nature of the job? Is your area one deep or do others have to step in when you aren't around? Is the boss uniformly disliked or only you with your self engineered special needs. In other words are you the only one he draws a hard line with or does he treat everyone the same. If it's the former you have a grievance.

80:20 rule appears to apply in leadership as well.

80% of the team takes 20% of the leading, 20% of the team requires 80% of the effort...it's not picking on the one whose late for everything except going home, or imposing additional interim reports leading up to deadline.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Wow, that's maturity for you...that behaviour would get YOU on the carpet for workplace bullying.

1. I was not serious in recommending any of the above activities. Mostly given to the fact that I neither have accountability for the result, nor would I expect him to actually follow such recommendation from a stranger.

2. Everything is relative.

I gave certain people pranks. They destroyed lives. My actions were response to far more serious situations. The company destroyed lives. The company used them to find better ways to destroy lives, and regularly found ways to destroy the destroyers. Mind you, we're talking about a Fortune 500 company.

I doubt I would have been given any disciplinary action, or even reprimanded. The head of our department felt that openly insulting a co-worker, plotting against him, or even conspiring to cause him harm was a sure sign that he had a real effective go-getter in his midst.

Maturity was the day I resigned from that company.

I am ashamed for having worked there, but the fake liquor bottles? Not so much.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The head of our department felt that openly insulting a co-worker, plotting against him, or even conspiring to cause him harm was a sure sign that he had a real effective go-getter in his midst.

The Oz utility industry had exactly that for 50+ years...point taken.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Your boss has a very valid request asking you to drive today. You chose to live far away.

He does. What he doesn't have is a valid reason to disapprove my leave...I have a valid reason to request it...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Your boss has a very valid request asking you to drive today. You chose to live far away.

He does. What he doesn't have is a valid reason to disapprove my leave...I have a valid reason to request it...

Ask to speak to him in private and have a face to face talk.....

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: grampi

Ask to speak to him in private and have a face to face talk.....

We've talked before, it doesn't do any good. I may just tell him from now on, I'm going to call his boss if/when this issue comes up again...I may also go to our union rep and see what she says...

So you are a bargaining unit employee?
Just put your leave in and if fat boy denies it, then go to your union rep and file a grievance.
This will escalate things to a level where a labor relations officer has to get involved and might be your best route to a permanent resolution.
As things are now, I cannot deny leave to my reports unless it would cause an "undo hardship" for the operation. Since I can easily perform any of their essential functions, this is a high bar to meet and the same is probably true for you and your boss.
In any event, I don't know what the weather is like in the northern part of the state or what the Turnpike is like, but conditions here are pretty good with only a small fall of fresh snow.

we're done here ...

rude comments, veiled references to body parts, crude language, etc.

And people wonder why threads get locked ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back