Bluetooth Car Kit

I believe there are three levels of Pandora. Free, mid grade and premium. I pay $5/month for the mid grade...zero ads and you can skip almost any song as many skips as you want. It's so worth $5/month to me.
I run a, T-mobile family plan... unlimited everything so data is a non issue

I believe there are three levels of Pandora. Free, mid grade and premium. I pay $5/month for the mid grade...zero ads and you can skip almost any song as many skips as you want. It's so worth $5/month to me.
I run a, T-mobile family plan... unlimited everything so data is a non issue
It's hard to imagine not having an unlimited cell phone plan if you do any streaming at all, including Spotify/Pandora/etc., maps, Waze, podcasts and whatever else. There are four phones on our plan and each use anywhere between 15 and 40 Gb per month of data. Who uses voice minutes anymore?

Well this is going to be interesting to see how much data is used to stream through my phone since I don't have unlimited data. I've already went from having 2.96 to 2.86 and I have hardly used it, maybe half and hour or so, it may be cheaper to keep Sirius.
Tracfone doesn't have any plans with unlimited data, right now I have unlimited text/talk with 1GB for $20 a month. Next is 2GB for $25 and 3GB for $30. I've been getting Sirius for $5 a month.

Has anyone kept track of how much data just for streaming?
If you're on a limited data plan, and even paying for Sirius on top of that, why not just amass a collection of audio on your phone instead of streaming, on a mSD card if internal memory isn't sufficient? You can hold weeks worth of audio on a sub-$20 mSD card, even more if MP3 instead of flac. You can have a lifetime supply (literally more music than you can listen to for the rest of your life) on a stack of mSD cards smaller than a matchbox. There are tons of jukebox type audio playback apps where you can categorize by genre if you like.

It's also less battery drain on your phone to not have both the bluetooth and cell radio in use. I don't plug my phone in to charge at all for driving use except longer trips or my phone was needing charged anyway.

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine not having an unlimited cell phone plan if you do any streaming at all, including Spotify/Pandora/etc., maps, Waze, podcasts and whatever else. There are four phones on our plan and each use anywhere between 15 and 40 Gb per month of data. Who uses voice minutes anymore?
I do. A phone just isn't my primary data device when there's laptops, desktops, tablets, smart TVs. I'm near wifi anywhere but driving, don't have long commutes to burn up minutes talking (hands free) while driving, and don't stream while I drive, so am well under 1GB data per month on my phone.

I don't send 300 texts a day, nor talk on the phone for hours at a time or when I do, I'd be at home using google voice calling on a google home device with decent speakerphone range. Once set up it is as easy as saying "hey goople, call Bob" (lol). Can't say that I go through any extra hassles or burdens, just made cost effective choices for my needs. Ends up around $4/mo. when you buy a year at a time on Trafone's site or on ebay, though obviously that doesn't subsidize the cost of a phone, but unlike years ago, Tracfone now allows you to bring your own phone instead of the bottom bin locked phones they bundled years ago.

I kind of wonder the opposite, why people want to use a phone for anything that takes that much data? Watching a tiny movie while stuck waiting somewhere? Producing youtube content without an ISP to upload? I'd have to put forth a substantial effort to burn through 2GB a month on my phone. Computers and TVs on the other hand, some months i get 1/2TB or more.

I could see it for maps if I was a pizza delivery driver, salesman or something of the sort, but I am pretty good at just glacing at a map before I go anywhere... maybe it's because I WAS a pizza driver decades ago before this convenience so learned to mentally imprint important navigation points? I just know what works for me, not judging.

Last edited:
If you're on a limited data plan, and even paying for Sirius on top of that, why not just amass a collection of audio on your phone instead of streaming, on a mSD card if internal memory isn't sufficient? You can hold weeks worth of audio on a sub-$20 mSD card, even more if MP3 instead of flac. You can have a lifetime supply (literally more music than you can listen to for the rest of your life) on a stack of mSD cards smaller than a matchbox. There are tons of jukebox type audio playback apps where you can categorize by genre if you like.

It's also less battery drain on your phone to not have both the bluetooth and cell radio in use. I don't plug my phone in to charge at all for driving use except longer trips or my phone was needing charged anyway.
Pandora is actually working out pretty good for me. I live in a small town and don't spend a bunch of time behind the wheel so as it turns out the 1GB a month is more than I need even with Pandora set to the highest bit rate. At this point I doubt I'll be subscribing to Sirius again.

Thanks!

I ended up picking up this one:

Voice quality seems fine, but the range leaves something to be desired - can't get more than 10-15 feet away because audio starts breaking up. Not a problem in a car, but I am using mine in my office, which means walking over to the next room is not possible, but at least I can get up and stretch.

I wish there was a DECT alternative to BT since DECT has a much better range.

Agreed. I have 5 numbers on our plan . 2 associated with very busy professionals, I pay about $ 235/month and that includes monthly payments for 3 phones.

That's fine if you have the time and want to go through, sort and load songs from music you've collected....or you could just fire up Pandora. I like the randomness of it.

That's fine if you have the time and want to go through, sort and load songs from music you've collected....or you could just fire up Pandora. I like the randomness of it.
Just about every music player app has a random mode, so you still just fire it up... seems like marketing has made you forget this has been true even before most people had cell phones, even the portable MP3 players of 15+ years ago could do this, just didn't have enough memory capacity for several thousand songs at the time like a mSD card (or more expensive phone with more built-in memory) can today.

Further, unless it has changed recently, pandora is only 64Kb rate for mobile and no higher than 192Kb otherwise, a low bitrate for audio that IMO ruins treble. You can fit roughly 20,000, 256Kb MP3 songs on a $13, 128GB mSD card today. As it pertains to driving, you don't even need to use a phone, can pop that 128GB mSD card into a sub $15 standalone, cigarette lighter outlet powered player. If you're a "very busy professional" who needs to use the phone a lot for other things, it seems like a great idea to save phone battery life... tho' I don't think it has much to do with being busy or a pro, just whatever use habit you get into.

Last edited:
Further, unless it has changed recently, pandora is only 64Kb rate for mobile and no higher than 192Kb otherwise, a low bitrate for audio that IMO ruins treble.
Depends on one's age, I suppose. By the time most of us hit early 40s, we can't hear much past 15 kHz. Modern audio codecs such as AAC do a pretty good job representing such frequency range using VBR of 192 kbps. Most codecs are considered transparent at bit rate of 192 kbps and higher, meaning vast majority will not be able to tell them apart from uncompressed source.

And then there is the aspect of the environment. We are talking about listening to music in a car, which is inherently a rather noisy environment where any sort of great detail offered by high bit rates is masked by the noise around you.

You can fit roughly 20,000, 256Kb MP3 songs on a $13, 128GB mSD card today. As it pertains to driving, you don't even need to use a phone, can pop that 128GB mSD card into a sub $15 standalone, cigarette lighter outlet powered player. If you're a "very busy professional" who needs to use the phone a lot for other things, it seems like a great idea to save phone battery life... tho' I don't think it has much to do with being busy or a pro, just whatever use habit you get into.
While I am a big proponent of using a dedicated tool for the job (ie. dedicated audio player instead of your phone) for the reasons you mentioned, my guess is that a "very busy professional" will not have time to or remember to keep adding new songs to his SD card, so it won't be long before his portable library is outdated. Streaming services don't have that problem.

Just about every music player app has a random mode, so you still just fire it up... seems like marketing has made you forget this has been true even before most people had cell phones, even the portable MP3 players of 15+ years ago could do this, just didn't have enough memory capacity for several thousand songs at the time like a mSD card (or more expensive phone with more built-in memory) can today.

Further, unless it has changed recently, pandora is only 64Kb rate for mobile and no higher than 192Kb otherwise, a low bitrate for audio that IMO ruins treble. You can fit roughly 20,000, 256Kb MP3 songs on a $13, 128GB mSD card today. As it pertains to driving, you don't even need to use a phone, can pop that 128GB mSD card into a sub $15 standalone, cigarette lighter outlet powered player. If you're a "very busy professional" who needs to use the phone a lot for other things, it seems like a great idea to save phone battery life... tho' I don't think it has much to do with being busy or a pro, just whatever use habit you get into.
I recall clearly, sorting files and downloading songs to an MP3 player and more recently, just putting them on a thumb drive and plugging it straight into the USB port in the console... definitely better sound quality but why do all of that sorting and downloading, file transfers etc... unless you like that sort of thing. In fact, I still pop in a CD or two of some music I really like.
My hearing is not that refined after years of winter surfing in NJ and a career in Law Enforcement... so Pandora bluetooth streamed from my phone to the Lexus Enform system in my car sounds just fine to me.
BTW, that " very busy professional(s) is my kid and her husband... Not me. She's a doctor and he's an investment guy. They consume data on a plan... but so do I.

Last edited:
Depends on one's age, I suppose. By the time most of us hit early 40s, we can't hear much past 15 kHz. Modern audio codecs such as AAC do a pretty good job representing such frequency range using VBR of 192 kbps. Most codecs are considered transparent at bit rate of 192 kbps and higher, meaning vast majority will not be able to tell them apart from uncompressed source.

I don't claim to have Golden Ears, but can easily hear 192Kb VBR, compression artifacts. I can't hear past 15KHz either but easily hear them, they are not only above 15KHz, WELL below that. I can consistently do a blind test and pick out 192Kb VRB from FLAC for example on anything with detailed treble passages. I did this a few times in the past, before memory became so cheap, trying to justify the extra storage space for FLAC.

They are not considered transparent at 192Kb or higher. Nobody would encode at higher, let alone use any lossless codec if it were the case.

Then again, if your car audio does not even have tweeters like many midrange or lower factory systems, or they are mounted in the doors at knee level, I could see that in itself being a treble limitation.

Last edited:
I don't claim to have Golden Ears, but can easily hear 192Kb VBR, compression artifacts. I can't hear past 15KHz either but easily hear them, they are not only above 15KHz, WELL below that. I can consistently do a blind test and pick out 192Kb VRB from FLAC for example on anything with detailed treble passages. I did this a few times in the past, before memory became so cheap, trying to justify the extra storage space for FLAC.
You are in vast minority.
But like you said, storage is cheap, so for archival purposes, I don't see a problem using a lossless codec.

They are not considered transparent at 192Kb or higher. Nobody would encode at higher, let alone use any lossless codec if it were the case.
A lot of people encode at much higher bit rates without ever doing an ABX test to see if they can really tell the difference instead of just 'thinking' they can. Or maybe they're just feeling superior by doing so. I don't dispute that there are some people, like you, who can tell the difference, so you should definitely adjust the rate based on what your ears are telling you.

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Transparent

For archival purposes, encoding with a lossless codec does make sense. This way, when needed, you can transcode to a lossy format using whatever the most efficient codec is available at the time and not have to worry about transcoding from one lossy format to another as that's obviously a bad idea.

Back