Bluetooth Car Kit

Looking for some first had users here. My Lucerne does not have Bluetooth but it does have an AUX port so been looking at some of the products available but wanted some first hand experience. I mainly want it for music from my Moto G7, thinking about dropping SiriusXM.

Is there a reason you don't want to just use an aux cable instead?
I think the jack on my phone is touchy, if I move the phone with the earbuds it will stop coming out one side until I spin the jack on the phone.

Wouldn't Bluetooth be less wires as far as not having to plug the phone in. Here is the one I was looking at.

If you happen to charge while on Aux you get noise - with BT not a problem.

I have had very good success with MPow from Amazon well built, reasonable human interface.

Just put all of your toons on a USB thumb drive and use the thumb drive in your vehicle.

I ordered a TaoTronics from Amazon. Got it yesterday and got it all setup and started playing Pandora, I think it sounds a lot better than Sirius. I like Pandora, I have been using it on my Directv receiver for a few years and have some good playlists I've built.

I ordered a TaoTronics from Amazon. Got it yesterday and got it all setup and started playing Pandora, I think it sounds a lot better than Sirius.

AFAIK, the free version of Pandora streams at 64 kbps AAC+ on mobile devices, which is likely higher quality than SiriusXM. The paid version of Pandora uses 192 kbps AAC stream, which is pretty much transparent unless you're a bat.

Of course, it is then transcoded once again to be sent via BT, so there is some additional quality loss, but probably not too much.

Well this is going to be interesting to see how much data is used to stream through my phone since I don't have unlimited data. I've already went from having 2.96 to 2.86 and I have hardly used it, maybe half and hour or so, it may be cheaper to keep Sirius.
Tracfone doesn't have any plans with unlimited data, right now I have unlimited text/talk with 1GB for $20 a month. Next is 2GB for $25 and 3GB for $30. I've been getting Sirius for $5 a month.

Has anyone kept track of how much data just for streaming?

Has anyone kept track of how much data just for streaming?
If your streaming bitrate is 64 kbps, then you are using about 30 MB per hour, or 0.03 GB per hour, assuming some overhead.

If you've truly used 0.1 GB in half hour of just audio streaming and no other internet traffic, this would indicate a streaming rate of about 400-500 kbps, which doesn't make sense because Pandora certainly doesn't stream at such high bitrate. So, either you streamed for a lot longer than half hour or you were doing other activity on your phone at the same time that consumed data (navigation/maps, downloading apps, browsing websites, watching video, etc.).

Generally, audio streaming doesn't use a ton of data, unless you listen many many hours every day. With that said, a 1GB data plan is not suitable for frequent media streaming, IMO. 1GB of data equates to about 33 hours of streaming at 64 kbps.

Last edited:
We have a 20 dollar one in my wife's scion. It looks like a button the size of a half dollar, it sticks on the dash with double side tape.

It hasn't fallen off in two years, and it works great.

She can answer calls by tapping it or trigger siri by holiding it.

It actually works much better than I thought it would. I just had to route one power cable to the cigarette lighter to power it. It uses bluetooth, and ties into the stereo with AUX cable.

If your streaming bitrate is 64 kbps, then you are using about 30 MB per hour, or 0.03 GB per hour, assuming some overhead.

If you've truly used 0.1 GB in half hour of just audio streaming and no other internet traffic, this would indicate a streaming rate of about 400-500 kbps, which doesn't make sense because Pandora certainly doesn't stream at such high bitrate. So, either you streamed for a lot longer than half hour or you were doing other activity on your phone at the same time that consumed data (navigation/maps, downloading apps, browsing websites, watching video, etc.).

Generally, audio streaming doesn't use a ton of data, unless you listen many many hours every day. With that said, a 1GB data plan is not suitable for frequent media streaming, IMO. 1GB of data equates to about 33 hours of streaming at 64 kbps.
One thing I think that may be bumping the data usage up is I just noticed today the advertisements contain video since I'm using the free version.

According to the App data usage Pandora has used 93.99 MB since July 18 which according to your calculations is over 3 hours. While I have been estimating/guessing time usage I'm certain I haven't been driving for 3 hours since yesterday and it's the only time I have used Pandora on my phone since I purchased it a few months ago. I will sign up for the free trial and see what happens.

My whole plan for this was to have something to listen to while I wait for Sirius to send me a better deal after I cancel, since my car it older it's possible they'll send me the 3 years for $99.

Thanks for your time Quattro Pete.

One thing I think that may be bumping the data usage up is I just noticed today the advertisements contain video since I'm using the free version.
That could certainly contribute to extra data usage.

I will sign up for the free trial and see what happens.
From what I understand, the paid version of Pandora streams at higher bitrate though (192 kbps), so you may actually see your data usage go up, unless there is a setting in the app that allows you to select a lower bitrate stream.

EDIT: According to the below link, Pandora Premium has three bitrate options available: 32, 64, and 192 kbps. You just have to figure out how to choose the one you want:

Had some time to look into this closer yesterday. Went for a drive yesterday that took 40 minutes, Pandora was playing the whole time so I checked the data app and it used 19.01 MB which is spot on for 40 minutes at 64 kbps, so using the paid version turns of the video advertisements and saves data and sounds alright to me. This is with the trial version of Pandora Plus the cheapest version. There is a setting that allows you to use the higher audio quality but warns it could skip more so my next test will be with the higher quality.

With the paid version there is a feature that allows you to use Pandora offline that uses no data, it downloads three of you most played playlist or they call it Radio to your phone, for instance I listen to Classic Rock Radio the most then Joe Walsh Radio and Aerosmith Radio so those are available to play using no data. Should mention those playlist don't play all Joe Walsh or what ever name you select but plays similar songs. I have spent a lot of time on these lists thru Directv giving a thumbs up or thumbs down to certain songs so they play only what I like.

Last edited:
Eighty percent of my recently cancelled SiriusXM was talk so I use the Google Podcasts. I have 4 gigs monthly through Boost. Downloading hour long podcasts over WiFi takes me about fifteen seconds and I usually go out with about three hours on my phone, if I was doing a full vacation I'd probably load up a thumb drive. Miss satellite radio about as much as I do cable, not at all. Realize music might consume more data.

Last edited:
My gripe with these bluetooth kits is that they all plug into the lighter outlet, which is not a reliable electrical connection. I'd be interested in one that can be hard wires and displays voltage.

My gripe with these bluetooth kits is that they all plug into the lighter outlet, which is not a reliable electrical connection. I'd be interested in one that can be hard wires and displays voltage.
Not fully true with aforementioned MPOW.

Using a USB powered from cig lighter the MPOW gets charge to Bluetooth receiver however it runs quite bit of time(likely 10 hrs) before needing to be recharged into USB to charge again.

I use Airvoice, unlimited T&T, 3GB full steam LTE for $18 credit card.
They say 1/2 and 1/2 but it's not, been that way for months.
I listen to comedy/Pandora car and gym, cannot consume 3GB in a month yet.

Last time I mapped, there were thousands of cars taking a Google Maps 'shortcut' around, during an accident jam in Norfolk.
Google didn't know or couldn't see no one making the short cut, as a temporary blockade (unrelated, unattended, like weekday work) was in place by VDOT.
That neighborhood was jammed for hours with cars comin' in, looking, turning around, heading back out....

I ordered a TaoTronics from Amazon. Got it yesterday and got it all setup and started playing Pandora, I think it sounds a lot better than Sirius. I like Pandora, I have been using it on my Directv receiver for a few years and have some good playlists I've built.

How is the built-in microphone on this one? Is it good enough for voice calls?

I'm thinking of picking something like this to turn my wired headphones into a wireless headset for PC audio calls, but I'm concerned about the quality of the built-in mic.

How is the built-in microphone on this one? Is it good enough for voice calls?

I'm thinking of picking something like this to turn my wired headphones into a wireless headset for PC audio calls, but I'm concerned about the quality of the built-in mic.
My wife said I sound good when she calls and can't tell any difference. Since then I purchased a different one mainly for the on/off switch. With the TaoTonics you have to hold the center button to turn it on and off, with the Mpow there is a switch but they both work great and look identical except for the on/off switch.

Mainly just wanted a backup.

Last edited:
Back