Blue Flame

If there's one thing I've learned from being involved in numerous record setting LSR efforts on the Bonneville Salt Flats, is that it is always much more challenging than originally anticipated.

Reading about the Blue Flame in the Guinness Book of World Records, was pivotal in my interest in LSR.

Thanks for posting the history.

I remember that. I used to flip through copies of the Guinness Book of World Records in the late 70s to early 80s, and every year there was a rather prominent photo of it. At least until the record was broken.

That Guinness Book of World Records listing of the Blue Flame was one the motivators of my youth. We bought a new book every year in the 70's, and Gary Gabelich always had the record at 622 mph.

There is a video on YouTube about the Blue Flame story that was posted by the creator of the rocket engine. I posted a comment appreciative of the Blue Flame, and he responded to me!

That was a great read, thanks!

I had no idea that the rocket engine was a 3 stage “after burning” affair. What a unique power plant design.

It's obvious I'm no expert on such engines, however, it's pretty interesting that H2O2 engines simply push the hydrogen peroxide through a catalyst where it rapidly decomposes into water (steam) and oxygen, providing relatively safe and adequate thrust. However, that excess oxygen is sufficient to sustain combustion and with sufficiently pure H2O2 (I've read 98% pure) , will auto ignite all sorts of fuels, from sugar to kerosene and natural gas. Even in the 1990's work continued on H2O2 engines that would auto ignite a fuel (typically kerosene).

The addition of fuel to an H2O2 rocket engine increases the specific impulse (Isp) into the realm of other more typical rocket engines. I've seen published Isp numbers in the 300's. Impressive for an engine that has no turbopumps or other complex fuel delivery mechanisms.

The engine can simply use a pressurized H2O2 tank, and pressurized fuel tank to deliver the fuel. Helium is often used as an inert way to pressurize the tanks.

I think the blue flame engine used both gaseous and liquid natural gas at the same time. The gaseous natural gas was used to initiate stable combustion. The liquid natural gas was used to combine with the existing oxygen and increase thrust.

Last edited:
It's obvious I'm no expert on such engines, however, it's pretty interesting that H2O2 engines simply push the hydrogen peroxide through a catalyst where it rapidly decomposes into water (steam) and oxygen, providing relatively safe and adequate thrust. However, that excess oxygen is sufficient to sustain combustion and with sufficiently pure H2O2 (I've read 98% pure) , will auto ignite all sorts of fuels, from sugar to kerosene and natural gas. Even in the 1990's work continued on H2O2 engines that would auto ignite a fuel (typically kerosene).

The addition of fuel to an H2O2 rocket engine increases the specific impulse (Isp) into the realm of other more typical rocket engines. I've seen published Isp numbers in the 300's. Impressive for an engine that has no turbopumps or other complex fuel delivery mechanisms.

The engine can simply use a pressurized H2O2 tank, and pressurized fuel tank to deliver the fuel. Helium is often used as an inert way to pressurize the tanks.

I think the blue flame engine used both gaseous and liquid natural gas at the same time. The gaseous natural gas was used to initiate stable combustion. The liquid natural gas was used to combine with the existing oxygen and increase thrust.
Interesting. Peroxide was used over the years to power the thrusters on spacecraft, but that was a zero atmosphere environment. Then there was that rocket pack I saw at the 1984 Olympics opening ceremony. I think it was an older design that wasn't really practical for anything because of how little time (about 21 seconds) it could operate.

This one was done in 1979. I see the Blue Flame had pneumatic tires, but they later went to solid metal wheels for safety purposes.

Interesting. Peroxide was used over the years to power the thrusters on spacecraft, but that was a zero atmosphere environment. Then there was that rocket pack I saw at the 1984 Olympics opening ceremony. I think it was an older design that wasn't really practical for anything because of how little time (about 21 seconds) it could operate.

https://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/Bell_Rocket_Belt

Another interesting rocket engine was the LR99 that powered the X-15 research aircraft. It used a H202 powered turbine that pumped the ammonia fuel and LOX into the rocket chamber. I happened across a Powerpoint presentation about it:

Another interesting rocket engine was the LR99 that powered the X-15 research aircraft. It used a H202 powered turbine that pumped the ammonia fuel and LOX into the rocket chamber. I happened across a Powerpoint presentation about it:

Wasn't that Reaction Motors? I thought they used something else to power the X-1. That was apparently just watered down ethanol - maybe to keep it from burning too fast?

Wasn't that Reaction Motors? I thought they used something else to power the X-1. That was apparently just watered down ethanol - maybe to keep it from burning too fast?
Yes, that was Reaction Motors. The X-1 used watered ethanol and LOX as propellants. I assume the water dilution was to keep the flame temperature from getting too hot and melting the engine. The Reaction Motors LR-11 engine was used in the X-1. And when the X-15 was first flown, the LR-99 wasn't ready, so two LR-11 engines were used for the early test flights.

Back