Bikes and high beams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stockrex
So I should drive with my high beams on during the day so others can see me too? ;-)
:

Do you have sensitive eyes? I've never had high beams bother me during the day whether they were from a bike or a car. It's only at night they become offensive...

I can see having the high beam on during the day to be more visible, but the lights that blink like strobes are distracting and probably have the opposite effect.

Most of the motos I encountered were at night,

I understand the need to be seen and I sympathize but one must ask the wisdom of driving with high beam on the interstate and on 1 lane hwys.

[jollywallywoo_mode]
When I go for my morning jog to starbucks I wear a reflective vest, call me crazy but I want other crazy drivers on the road to see me, I am tempted to put on my black leather jacket with my black leather chaps with my black boots and not to mention my black bandana, but that might make it hard for others to see me
[bye jolly]

Originally Posted By: grampi
So I should drive with my high beams on during the day so others can see me too? ;-)
:

Do you have sensitive eyes? I've never had high beams bother me during the day whether they were from a bike or a car. It's only at night they become offensive...

dunno know if I have sensitive eyes but the high beams gave me black spots, maybe I am just a very sensitive guy.

Most of the motos I encountered were at night,

I understand the need to be seen and I sympathize but one must ask the wisdom of driving with high beam on the interstate and on 1 lane hwys.

Well your original post said "yesterday", not "last night". Big difference.

Riding with hi beam on at night is stupid for car or bikes. If you have your hi on at night, I will flash you, I don't care what you are driving, or what I am driving.
I also am flashing all the stupid people with PnP HID/LED lights.

As for daytime riding with high beam, location does not matter. On the interstate, you need to be seen by the vehicles in front of you as well, so they know you are around. Cars merging into traffic also need to know you are there. Same for 1 lane highways (I don't think I have ever been on a 1 lane highway?).
Flipping to hi/lo depending on the road you are on, you would not always remember to switch it.

Again, at night time, it is never acceptable to drive around with the hi beam with others around.

:

dunno know if I have sensitive eyes but the high beams gave me black spots, maybe I am just a very sensitive guy.

When I was still riding I would run my headlight on dim at night...high beams only during the day...no need to run high beam at night to be seen...

:

Don't stare into the headlight. What are you tought what to do if someone comes towards you at night with high beams on and they won't switch to low - hint, it's in every driver manual. Apply the same in daylight.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Don't stare into the headlight. What are you tought what to do if someone comes towards you at night with high beams on and they won't switch to low - hint, it's in every driver manual. Apply the same in daylight.

If there's a bike coming at me and I'm planning a left turn across him I am going to "stare" at it as I try to guess its distance and closing speed. A little extra analysis on my part to keep both of us safe is thwarted by the annoyance of something outside the "typical rules". This is not exclusive to bikes; morons who over- or under-brighten their tail lights so they're outside the DOT specs are confusing as well. Particularly LEDs that are on the cusp between brake lights and parking lights.

BTW when DRLs came out in the 1990s on cars I figured MCs would feel a need to one-up.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If there's a bike coming at me and I'm planning a left turn across him I am going to "stare" at it as I try to guess its distance and closing speed. A little extra analysis on my part to keep both of us safe is thwarted by the annoyance of something outside the "typical rules". This is not exclusive to bikes; morons who over- or under-brighten their tail lights so they're outside the DOT specs are confusing as well. Particularly LEDs that are on the cusp between brake lights and parking lights.

BTW when DRLs came out in the 1990s on cars I figured MCs would feel a need to one-up.

In that case, best to play it safe and wait until they pass by before turning left. Trying to "save 5 seconds" isn't worth killing somebody over. Everyone on the road needs to be a responsible driver, regardless of what others on the road are doing.

I cannot stand those alternating lights either. I wonder if those have ever caused a person to have a seizure.

One of these days somebody driving a large enough truck will get mad to the point where they go all post office and drive headfirst into one of those morons trying to blind the drivers of opposing traffic with those ridiculous high beams.

Some body damage to the truck, some mandatory sessions at a head shrink for the truck driver, and some new organs donated by the biker would be the likely result.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
One of these days somebody driving a large enough truck will get mad to the point where they go all post office and drive headfirst into one of those morons trying to blind the drivers of opposing traffic with those ridiculous high beams.

Some body damage to the truck, some mandatory sessions at a head shrink for the truck driver, and some new organs donated by the biker would be the likely result.

More like 1st degree manslaughter.

Your deep hatred for motorcyclists is obvious. Might want to look into that.

If the high beam on a motorcycle bothers so much, what do all the lights these idiots run on the front of their pickups do to you? They must blind you!

If the high beam on a motorcycle bothers so much, what do all the lights these idiots run on the front of their pickups do to you? They must blind you!

They don't bother me, but there are bound to be some folks that are bothered quite a bit by them. Those are the folks that would worry me if I was riding one of those bikes. Just saying....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back