Big Tech Has us by the Whiskers!! Specific Amazon Example.

A few weeks ago I decided to run Techron in the vehicles as preventative maintenance. I had never done it in the F150 or the Subaru and no way to know about the Sentra. I saw a 10oz bottle at Wally for $5 and Amazon 20oz bottle for $8. No brainer. I go to my recent orders and click buy again and the new price is ................................................... $13.99!!! Was there a green tax passed I missed? Kinda like the algorithms the travel websites use. Usually lower prices after midnight before 4am. Fully taking advantage of the assumed emotional state during those hours.

A few weeks ago I decided to run Techron in the vehicles as preventative maintenance. I had never done it in the F150 or the Subaru and no way to know about the Sentra. I saw a 10oz bottle at Wally for $5 and Amazon 20oz bottle for $8. No brainer. I go to my recent orders and click buy again and the new price is ................................................... $13.99!!! Was there a green tax passed I missed? Kinda like the algorithms the travel websites use. Usually lower prices after midnight before 4am. Fully taking advantage of the assumed emotional state during those hours.

not really a conspiracy theory, amazon frequently pricematch other retailers such as walmart.

example: the other day they price matched macy's on a carbon steel fry pan I was looking at.. etc.

Best place to get sale price on techron is usually AAP or AZ they run it about every other month. sometimes o'rielly's

Back when I was using this with cheaper gas, I watched AutoZone and every few months they would have a BOGO that was the best deal around. If anyone wants to use this over the long run, that deal is going to be hard to beat.

32 oz is nice, b/c it has the ounce markers. If you are not going to pour out the full bottle each time from the 20 oz bottles, and are OCD about it, a 32 ounce bottle is handy, to apportion it evenly.

My local Pepboys has it on sale for $14.98 (32 oz), Feb 21 through Mar 27.

Last edited:
Besides fresh food, I do all my shopping at Amazon.

No need to deal with the idiots at retail stores, parking, 25 people in line and only 3 cashiers, etc...

I've had prices change from the time I put it in to the cart, to the checkout page. I then don't purchase, go to work and start the entire cycle over again. Sometimes, it really is a scam.

Just blame it on Covid. I have things in my list that change price on a regular basis. Then some go "Were not sure when this item wil be available". Its just a crapshoot. You can also do another search on it, sometimes its the seller.

If you think they are trying to game you, do your shopping using incognito mode. Airlines are notorious for gaming customers.

Some items on amazon are basically sold like commodities. When I see something that I know has sold cheaper (and I don't have an immediate need for) I'll put it in my wishlist and check periodically to see the current price. Many times I've seen item rise in price on Friday - presumably to capitalize on weekend "shopping".

On larger $ items I use camelcamelcamel to see how much the price fluctates and where it currently sits. You can set a target price and get notified when the price drops to that value. When shopping for my whole-house surge arrestor the the price jumped from the mid $90 range to around $115. I monitored with camelx3 and bought it at $89.

As of today my membership in Amazon Prime is no more. All apps deleted as well.

I decided on this a while back but waited until my membership ran out. I stopped ordering a long time ago and deleted all payment methods off their site.

As of today my membership in Amazon Prime is no more. All apps deleted as well.

I decided on this a while back but waited until my membership ran out. I stopped ordering a long time ago and deleted all payment methods off their site.
We’ve pretty much stopped using it except for the more obscure (dog perimeter fence batteries) or the rare ridiculously priced local thing (like my TV bias lights) I happen to need/want. They used to be great, now they’re really not any better than Meijer/Walmart/Bestbuy.

Some items on amazon are basically sold like commodities. When I see something that I know has sold cheaper (and I don't have an immediate need for) I'll put it in my wishlist and check periodically to see the current price. Many times I've seen item rise in price on Friday - presumably to capitalize on weekend "shopping".

On larger $ items I use camelcamelcamel to see how much the price fluctates and where it currently sits. You can set a target price and get notified when the price drops to that value. When shopping for my whole-house surge arrestor the the price jumped from the mid $90 range to around $115. I monitored with camelx3 and bought it at $89.

Never pay too much on Amazon.

Always check camelcamelcamel

Back