BFG Touring T/As/ Mich X radial

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't checked Sam's club in a while, so today I did a little shopping.

And since I'm considering the Traction T/As, these caught my eye.

I think the BFG were 61 bucks, the X radials were 73, which are not too bad.

I was wondering if anyone has these tires, and if they liked them....

both are good - personally I think the michelins are worth the slight amount extra. my bro had some on his intrepid - they worked really well and outlasted any other tire we have run on our treps. he put around 80k miles of of them on a heavy car. my trep went thru some falkens in 30k.

I agree, though I haven't driven on the BFG tires in question. In general, I think the smaller BFG tires tend to ride a little harsh and have few qualities that would otherwise cause me to choose them over a similarly-priced Michelin. Given performance that's likely as-good-or-better with the Michelin compared with the BFG, and given that we know the Michelin's rolling resistance is among the best out there, the lifetime cost of the Michelins is likely less than the BFGs...and you're getting a better tire anyway.

Add in Michelin's $70 rebate, if you haven't already, and they're an even better value.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I recently purchased tires from Sam's Club, and had the same choices to make. Sam's printed out a sheet for me that classified the available tires in order from "OK, Good, Better, Best."

The BFG's were at the bottom of the list as the "OK" tire. The "Good" was the Goodyear Assurance Touring, the "Better" was the Michelin Symmetry, and the "Best" was the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred.

They didn't have the X-Radials in stock in my size, so I looked at the BFG's and the Goodyear Assurance Touring. The BFG's have a very deep, blocky tread (12/32's) and looked almost like a crossover/SUV type of tire. The more I looked at it, the more I had doubts about ride comfort and noise levels. The Goodyear Assurance Touring had a traditional 5-rib design. It wasn't as blocky, and had a more reasonable 11/32 tread depth. The BFG was also noticeably taller than the Goodyear (most likely a result of the initially deeper tread depth.)

I went with the Goodyear Assurance Touring (a Sam's Club tire, just like the BFG and the X-Radial.) I have put about 600 miles on them since they were installed and am very pleased. Smooth, quiet, great in the rain.

If the BFG and the X-Radial are your two choices, go for the Michelin X.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
I agree, though I haven't driven on the BFG tires in question. In general, I think the smaller BFG tires tend to ride a little harsh and have few qualities that would otherwise cause me to choose them over a similarly-priced Michelin. Given performance that's likely as-good-or-better with the Michelin compared with the BFG, and given that we know the Michelin's rolling resistance is among the best out there, the lifetime cost of the Michelins is likely less than the BFGs...and you're getting a better tire anyway.

Add in Michelin's $70 rebate, if you haven't already, and they're an even better value.

I'm not sure if the X's have a rebate.....

The rebate is for any set of four Michelin tires.

Oh wait, never mind, this is Sam's. Only independent tire dealers (not clubs) are part of this current rebate. I think the $70 rebate was at Sam's last month.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
The rebate is for any set of four Michelin tires.

Oh wait, never mind, this is Sam's. Only independent tire dealers (not clubs) are part of this current rebate. I think the $70 rebate was at Sam's last month.

Darn.

If you are not in any particluar hurry, I'd bet Discount Tire will come back soon with their $70 BFG/Michelin Rebate. They've had it several times since I bought my T/A's this summer, and one just ended.

It's $70 Bridgestone Rebate till month's end at DT.

Nope, not in any hurry...the GYs are doing pretty well. I was thinking about waiting until spring anyways.

Since this will be the last car to get tires for a while, I can save and get the good stuff....

Originally Posted By: ryster

I recently purchased tires from Sam's Club, and had the same choices to make. Sam's printed out a sheet for me that classified the available tires in order from "OK, Good, Better, Best."

The BFG's were at the bottom of the list as the "OK" tire. The "Good" was the Goodyear Assurance Touring, the "Better" was the Michelin Symmetry, and the "Best" was the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred.

They didn't have the X-Radials in stock in my size, so I looked at the BFG's and the Goodyear Assurance Touring. The BFG's have a very deep, blocky tread (12/32's) and looked almost like a crossover/SUV type of tire. The more I looked at it, the more I had doubts about ride comfort and noise levels. The Goodyear Assurance Touring had a traditional 5-rib design. It wasn't as blocky, and had a more reasonable 11/32 tread depth. The BFG was also noticeably taller than the Goodyear (most likely a result of the initially deeper tread depth.)

I went with the Goodyear Assurance Touring (a Sam's Club tire, just like the BFG and the X-Radial.) I have put about 600 miles on them since they were installed and am very pleased. Smooth, quiet, great in the rain.

I have at least 150K miles experience with the BFG Touring T/A tires at Sams. While they look like a "blocky" tread as you suggest, they are pretty quiet. I've driven close to 70K in my Geo Prizm on those tires as well as on the second and getting close to the 3rd set on oilBabe's Camry.

The tread changes as the tire wears. So it becomes less "blocky" as the tire is worn. Since the blocks are in the first I'd say 5 to 6/32nds of the 11/32nds of tread depth, the tire is softer then and not really noisy.

As it wears, it stays quiet I'm guessing because the blocks become "solid".

Of course that's not as good on snow and rain. But I find they are reasonably competent tires for a reasonable price.

I'm sure there are better tires out there, and you'll pay more for them. I really don't think you can go wrong with them BFG Touring T/A Pro or whatever it's called.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: ryster

I have at least 150K miles experience with the BFG Touring T/A tires at Sams. While they look like a "blocky" tread as you suggest, they are pretty quiet. I've driven close to 70K in my Geo Prizm on those tires as well as on the second and getting close to the 3rd set on oilBabe's Camry.

The tread changes as the tire wears. So it becomes less "blocky" as the tire is worn. Since the blocks are in the first I'd say 5 to 6/32nds of the 11/32nds of tread depth, the tire is softer then and not really noisy.

As it wears, it stays quiet I'm guessing because the blocks become "solid".

Of course that's not as good on snow and rain. But I find they are reasonably competent tires for a reasonable price.

I'm sure there are better tires out there, and you'll pay more for them. I really don't think you can go wrong with them BFG Touring T/A Pro or whatever it's called.

So it sounds like they hold up well....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back