Better than no generator, generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually a two stroke makes more HP with extra oil as has been proven many times, just Google it.
Another misconception I don't agree with is more oil changes your jetting. The jetting is fluid/ air mixture which happens to be gas but you don't add a third party with oil since the gas and oil are mixed going into the combustion chamber. The simple carb does not separate. It simply controls air to fluid spray and it's all a propellant at that point. Regardless when you get your jetting set to the oil ratio YOU like it's not going to lean out the motor because of a richer oil/ gas mix.

Last edited:
I always over oil the mix at 32:1. Wet oil dripping from the exhaust hasn't carboned up my 40 yr old Stihl Farmboss. And, yes I advocate thick oil as well.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
I always over oil the mix at 32:1. Wet oil dripping from the exhaust hasn't carboned up my 40 yr old Stihl Farmboss. And, yes I advocate thick oil as well.
grin2.gif

It will carbon up the expansion chamber on a dirt bike though. But also that motor did a crazy amount of hours without a rebuild too, so burning out the exhaust every couple years wasn't a big problem.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Actually a two stroke makes more HP with extra oil as has been proven many times, just Google it.
Another misconception I don't agree with is more oil changes your jetting. The jetting is fluid/ air mixture which happens to be gas but you don't add a third party with oil since the gas and oil are mixed going into the combustion chamber. The simple carb does not separate. It simply controls air to fluid spray and it's all a propellant at that point. Regardless when you get your jetting set to the oil ratio YOU like it's not going to lean out the motor because of a richer oil/ gas mix.

So much wrong with this post. Increasing oil proportion means less fuel for the same liquid volume, so your carb mix which is based on air vs liquid volume absolutely leans out when you put more oil in. Oil does not contribute to the fuel mix, it displaces it. Read *any* book on 2 stroke tuning and you'll get the same thing. Anyone else who raced 2 strokes and had to alter mix and jetting for environmental conditions would tell you the same thing. Often it was easier to tweak oil mix than it was to swap a jet for minor changes in tuning.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I never understood why people use more oil than recommended. I've worked on a number of these machines over the years where people did this.

Using a richer oil mixture than what is recommended can actually shorten the engine life. It often creates more carbon build-up which can break off and score the piston. Piston scoring on a 2 stroke engine means no compression, and it won't run or will only run very poorly. I have replaced numerous pistons/blocks because of this.

If you run a good name brand oil (I use Husqvarna semi-synthetic) and mix it at the proper ratio, you will not have any problems. Your engine will actually be cleaner inside as a result.

Absolutely not true. Oil quantity is the defining factor behind wear rates on 2 stroke engines. I was involved in testing 2 stroke oils for a major manufacturer. More oil often results in a cleaner engine too. 32 to 1 is about the best compromise for wear rate, HP and exhaust smoke. 16 to 1 increased HP, cleanliness and slightly decreased the wear rate. 8 to 1 makes the most HP in well tuned two strokes, and keeps a two stroke engine nearly spotless inside.

In all cases 50 to 1 slightly increased the wear rate and 100 to 1, regardless of oil choice, significantly increased wear rate, hard carbon and decreased ring sealing + HP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brad_C

So much wrong with this post. Increasing oil proportion means less fuel for the same liquid volume, so your carb mix which is based on air vs liquid volume absolutely leans out when you put more oil in. Oil does not contribute to the fuel mix, it displaces it. Read *any* book on 2 stroke tuning and you'll get the same thing. Anyone else who raced 2 strokes and had to alter mix and jetting for environmental conditions would tell you the same thing. Often it was easier to tweak oil mix than it was to swap a jet for minor changes in tuning.

Some 2 stroke oils combust and do add to the motive force. Some very high end synthetics do not, and will require significantly enriched mixtures to maintain power levels.

But the general rule remains, done properly, more oil results in more peak HP in well tuned engines. This is generally due to significantly improved ring sealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back