Better strategy to win scratch off lottery tickets?

Generally scratch off tickets have better odds than Powerball or mega millions. A lucky winner got a $20 million from a $100 scratch off ticket ( has 1:3.7 odds for any price and 1:2million odds for the top prize) in one of the gas station near my house in south Texas. I wanted to buy one ticket at the same gas station but $100 is just too much to swallow, then there is another $30 ticket which has a 1:2.88 odds for any price and 1: 1 million for top prize. This has to be the best odds for any ticket in Texas. I dont hope to win millions but any change will be a good one. There is another $5 scratch off ticket with a top prize of $500 with 1:1000 odds, seems to be a better buy. Anyone has a better approach or strategy for scratch off tickets, besides buy only the tickets with better odds?

will rogers.jpg

I worked in the Lottery business 18 years and recently retired. Don't play is my best advice.

To say the odds are not stacked in your favor is to put it mildly!
Best to save your money. Even in cash with zero % interest, is still better than throwing it away!

MIT did some lottery research years ago. It was quite interesting. It seems there were ways to occasionally beat the odds, in some games (that no longer exist as far as I know). The strategy required a massive expenditure and multiple players.

Other than those specific games, the house always wins. Often by much more than people understand. These state based games are never anywhere near a typical gambling house, of almost 50-50 (47-47 really), with a house edge of 4.7%.

In fact there is no game with a worse house edge than the lottery or scratchoff tickets. As most of the proceeds go to the state and not to the winners.

They are a tax, and nothing more.

With one exception. They make fun gifts for a large party.

In fact there is no game with a worse house edge than the lottery or scratchoff tickets. As most of the proceeds go to the state and not to the winners.
Also, most of the time if they've sold a good half of all the tickets produced and nobody won the grand prize, they'll go on ahead and cancel the rest of the game.

Essentially throwing your money away. I prefer cryptocurrencies.

Last edited:
In low overhead gambling, the only way you can win is 1) don't participate, or 2) If you play a few small game and won a small amount, ahead of the odd, stop right away. For example, you flip the coin and you win on the first game, you stop and don't play anymore.

Most people keep gambling when they win and they only stop when they lost too much.

Generally scratch off tickets have better odds than Powerball or mega millions. A lucky winner got a $20 million from a $100 scratch off ticket ( has 1:3.7 odds for any price and 1:2million odds for the top prize) in one of the gas station near my house in south Texas. I wanted to buy one ticket at the same gas station but $100 is just too much to swallow, then there is another $30 ticket which has a 1:2.88 odds for any price and 1: 1 million for top prize. This has to be the best odds for any ticket in Texas. I dont hope to win millions but any change will be a good one. There is another $5 scratch off ticket with a top prize of $500 with 1:1000 odds, seems to be a better buy. Anyone has a better approach or strategy for scratch off tickets, besides buy only the tickets with better odds?
IIRC there is a story about a woman who had an "in" with the TX lottery where she would buy up all the scratch off's of a particular game in an area around Victoria, She would hole up in a hotel for a couple of days and just work through them all and won big.

The only "strategy" is check where grand prize tickets were sold on the website which not all do but most. But other than that don't get your hopes up. It's the lottery after all you don't see millionaires that got it from winning it left and right. Some say to buy a ticket who's previous winners has the same code number but that's nonsense.

The few people I know that buy scratch offs are sensitive, easily offended, get their feeling hurt quite often and also have health problems caused by poor life style choices.

OH my god, well for anyone interested one of the best true story movies you may ever see is exactly about the subject of this thread, acted by actors of course but real people, real retired man from a real company that he worked for (and named in the movie) REAL TOWN TOO!
Just freaking AWESOME movie. Must see, he did beat the system, absolutely INCREDIBLE
(full disclosure we dont play the lottery in our house, maybe for fun 3 times a year or something)
This movie is a must see! Its a fun light movie too!

"JERRY & MARGE GO LARGE is inspired by the remarkable true story of retiree Jerry Selbee, who discovers a mathematical loophole in the Massachusetts lottery and, with the help of his wife, Marge, wins millions and uses the money to revive their small Michigan town."

Back