Best used Android phone (VZW)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Nexus 5.

The Nexus 5 won't be coming to Verizon.

I'm personally an Android junky. I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with CM10 OS. However, not everyone wants to go to the lengths I have to get a phone to run the way they want it to.

My wife has the Nokia Lumia 928 Windows phone and loves it. W8 is a great mobile OS, good enough I may get one at my next upgrade. Smooth operation, great battery life, but a little lacking in the app department. I would still highly recommend it.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I've wiped this phone probably 3 or 4 times. And I've got so many things turned off, it's not really a smartphone anymore. At that point, what's the point of having a smartphone if you can't use it? Animations are turned off, GPS is turned off, Wi-Fi is turned off when I'm not using it, screen is usually fully dimmed, etc.

I can turn it off at night (lock it) with 70% battery remaining and it'll be stone cold dead in the morning. Zero juice.

It does bring up a question. Before I go to the trouble of replacing the battery (which might at least fix the battery drain issue) is there a way for the Apple store (or for me) to "load test" the battery to see if the battery itself is physically compromised (shorted, heated up too much, etc)? I wouldn't want to pay the 30 bucks to replace the bettery and go to the labor of doing it if it's really a software thing that keeps the processor cycled up all the time and the new one will drain as fast as the old one.

Thanks.

If your phone is jailbroken, yes. If not, the Apple Store is supposedly able to check this.

What model & capacity is it? My Dad is upgrading to a 5S this week and may have a very mint VZW iPhone 4 available...

BTW, not sure if you saw this:
http://gizmodo.com/motorola-moto-g-180-of-android-goodness-1463640823

Originally Posted By: SF0059
My wife has the Nokia Lumia 928 Windows phone and loves it. W8 is a great mobile OS, good enough I may get one at my next upgrade. Smooth operation, great battery life, but a little lacking in the app department. I would still highly recommend it.

Thanks; I may look into these as well. With the increasing demand on my time from home/family/exercise/work/etc, I find that I use my phone less and less as a general internet device, and more and more as an actual PHONE and email device. My phone is not an entertainment device for me, as it once was.

The lineup of Windows 8 phones does intrigue me. Especially since we I have recently migrated my email/calendar/contacts to Outlook.com from Gmail.

Originally Posted By: dparm
What model & capacity is it? My Dad is upgrading to a 5S this week and may have a very mint VZW iPhone 4 available...

Mine is a 16 GB 4S model. If his is a 4S (or possibly even the standard 4) and still has iOS 6, please PM me.
smile.gif

Mine is a 16 GB 4S model. If his is a 4S (or possibly even the standard 4) and still has iOS 6, please PM me.
smile.gif

Sadly he loaded 7.0.3 onto it.

You can downgrade to iOS 6 without being jailbroken, BTW.

Please PM (or post) with link. I have been searching fervently for a way to do this. Apparently, you could for the first day or two, because Apple was still signing new 6.x installations, but after the first few days, they were no longer signing a 6.x installation. And after that, the trail seemed to go cold...

Please PM (or post) with link. I have been searching fervently for a way to do this. Apparently, you could for the first day or two, because Apple was still signing new 6.x installations, but after the first few days, they were no longer signing a 6.x installation.

My bad, apparently only the iPhone 4 can be downgraded. 4S & 5 cannot.

Maybe I missed, is this phone still in warranty? Do you have Apple Care?

If so just take it to the store and say it's broken. They will fix or replace it. Apple is pretty good about that, they want a happy customer.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I have an S3 right now, and I find it to be buggy and unreliable. Random battery drains, random lock-ups & freezes, lag when answering phone calls, etc. Just my 2 cents... I will probably get something different than an Android phone next time.

That's not normal. Do a factory reset and make sure you have the latest system update.

I've tried both. It's been reset twice now, and I actually went far enough to request a replacement. Same issues. I have the latest version of Android that AT&T has released. I can cure the random battery drains by resetting the phone, but sometimes I won't notice it until it has sapped 20% of my battery in a matter of less than an hour.

Originally Posted By: racer12306

No and no. It's about 18 months old.

I do, however, think I have stumbled upon instructions for downgrading to iOS 6:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/news/?newsid=3469837

Scroll to the bottom and it gives instructions on downgrading ANY device to 6. I will investigate and try. I have nothing to lose at this point.

I do, however, think I have stumbled upon instructions for downgrading to iOS 6:

Scroll to the bottom and it gives instructions on downgrading ANY device to 6. I will investigate and try. I have nothing to lose at this point.

Never mind...looks like they're not being signed.
frown.gif

I have an S3 right now, and I find it to be buggy and unreliable. Random battery drains, random lock-ups & freezes, lag when answering phone calls, etc. Just my 2 cents... I will probably get something different than an Android phone next time.

That's not normal. Do a factory reset and make sure you have the latest system update.

I've tried both. It's been reset twice now, and I actually went far enough to request a replacement. Same issues. I have the latest version of Android that AT&T has released. I can cure the random battery drains by resetting the phone, but sometimes I won't notice it until it has sapped 20% of my battery in a matter of less than an hour.

I should mention that I've also tried WakeLock Detector to find out why my battery drains, and I can't figure it out. GPS is turned off, location settings are all turned off, etc. It usually does it when I take the phone out of airplane mode and leave work. By the time I get home, it'll be down 10-20% without even using it. I'm suspecting there's some sort of glitch with airplane mode not playing well with the 4G LTE after I turn it off.

Sounds like the signal on your drive home is very poor and the phone is draining its battery trying to find a tower.

Never mind...looks like they're not being signed.
frown.gif

I haven't looked because I have no desire to jailbreak my wifes, but if iOS7 is ready for jailbreak you should be able to downgrade that way.

Sounds like the signal on your drive home is very poor and the phone is draining its battery trying to find a tower.

It doesn't just do it on the way home, though, it'll do it even if I'm in an area with full reception. I was just using that as an example.

I have a brand new Moto X from Verizon. Paid $50 for it with two year contract. It's the latest Android phone. I love it!!! This is my this Android Smartphone.

This is the best one. Plus, it will be getting the latest KitKat OS very soon.

Get the Moto X.

Hokiefyd I feel your pain.

I upgraded my 8GB VZW iPhone 4 to iOS 7.

Horrible experience with the iPhone 4. Slow, buggy, crashes, takes as long as a BlackBerry to start up.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Hokiefyd I feel your pain.

I upgraded my 8GB VZW iPhone 4 to iOS 7.

Horrible experience with the iPhone 4. Slow, buggy, crashes, takes as long as a BlackBerry to start up.

Weird. My Dad's iPhone 4 on VZW runs just fine on iOS 7. Not as fluid and fast as my 5S, but still acceptable.

Stay the [censored] away from the GS3. I HATE mine. Trouble trouble trouble. On my second one. Very fragile and buggy. Shoot, I'll trade you.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back