Best used Android phone (VZW)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say one is not happy with his current phone because he upgraded to the latest software and it's nothing but bugs...

And say this guy is asking for advice on the "best" (more or less) Android phone for Verizon...talking used here; buying from a private party...

Would you recommend the Samsung Galaxy S3? Said guy has been poking around the internets for a few days looking at different phone options, and the GS3 seems to be one of the most popular (and likely one of the best) options available. No?

GS3 was a very popular phone, and is one generation old now so the prices should have come down. I was never crazy about the build quality but that's a subjective thing.

The Droid RAZR-series devices (Droid RAZR HD, MAXX HD, etc) are pretty solid too. Good build quality and top-notch RF performance.

The GS3 seems to be a great option, I've never used it though. My mother in law likes hers though.

With the Note 3 out, Note 2's should be pretty reasonable used. I have a Note 2 and I love it. Big, great battery life. If you like the size.

Those are the only ones I've had experience with.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Say one is not happy with his current phone because he upgraded to the latest software and it's nothing but bugs...

Just intrigued by this. I've heard something on this subject on one android forum I sometimes visit. Which software version is it? And what issues/bugs are you experiencing?

My VZW RazrM has been asking me to apply a software update for the past couple of days, and I have been reluctant to say "yes".

I think it depends on what is defined as "best". Price, performance, etc. I would go for the S4 (if one can be found used for a decent price). I demo'ed phones for all 4 major US vendors and carried 5 phones for a few weeks. My current phone is an S3 and although it is good (solid), the S4 blows it away.

I am demo'ing a Note 3 next and hope it works as well as the S4 (albeit a little larger).

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I am demo'ing a Note 3 next and hope it works as well as the S4 (albeit a little larger).

I cross-shopped that with my iPhone 5s and several reviews complained that the call quality was absolute garbage. That was a deal-breaker.

I have an S3 right now, and I find it to be buggy and unreliable. Random battery drains, random lock-ups & freezes, lag when answering phone calls, etc. Just my 2 cents... I will probably get something different than an Android phone next time.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I have an S3 right now, and I find it to be buggy and unreliable. Random battery drains, random lock-ups & freezes, lag when answering phone calls, etc. Just my 2 cents... I will probably get something different than an Android phone next time.

That's not normal. Do a factory reset and make sure you have the latest system update.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just intrigued by this. I've heard something on this subject on one android forum I sometimes visit. Which software version is it? And what issues/bugs are you experiencing?

iOS 7, and you name it, my 4S seems to have it! Poor battery life, running hot much of the time, iMessage often does not work (despite having updated to the latest version), buggy with phone/screen rotations, etc.

Since we no longer have our iMac, I'm no longer married to the Apple brand for a phone, though I don't dislike them. If I could put iOS 6 back on my phone, I'd probably continue to use it for years. But that doesn't appear to be an option.

And I'm still not positive on moving to the Android platform. I haven't been 100% satisfied with it before, though that was probably due to poor hardware (Motorola Droid 2). I've been looking at Windows phones. I may also keep my wife's iPhone 4S, which doesn't seem to have the problems mine has, when she upgrades to the 5S real soon.

At this point, I'm just looking around. I plan to sell my iPhone 4S locally and use one of our old Droid 2s in the interim until I decide what to do. But unlike in the Apple world, there are countless Android phones available from a variety of manufacturers, so I'm just trying to get a gauge on what the better options are.

I also do like the HTC Incredible series of phones. I had an Incredible 2 that I really liked. I am also looking at the 4G version of that phone.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I cross-shopped that with my iPhone 5s and several reviews complained that the call quality was absolute garbage. That was a deal-breaker.

I find many review sites to more than a little jaded (no matter what the product). The great thing (in my case) is I will have a 30 day demo to see how it actually works for me.

For the battery life, get Juice Defender (Google Play store for free) and set it to aggressive and the battery life will practically double.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will probably get something different than an Android phone next time.

I've got an iPhone 4S that doesn't sound quite as bad as your Samsung, but it's not perfect either. Wanna buy? LOL

warranty it? or did you buy it used?

Before you dump the phone. Do a backup in iTunes (not iCloud as it may not catch everything)

Then wipe the phone and do a restore from the backup.

This is very easy to do through iTunes and fixes a lot of problems. Then go into your settings and start turning off animations, that will help with processor lag and battery problems.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Nexus 5.

Too bad this can't be used on VZW. Plus it's not really used yet, although the price is good for a non-contract phone.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Then go into your settings and start turning off animations, that will help with processor lag and battery problems.

General --> Accessibility --> Reduce Motion

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Before you dump the phone. Do a backup in iTunes (not iCloud as it may not catch everything)

Then wipe the phone and do a restore from the backup.

This is very easy to do through iTunes and fixes a lot of problems. Then go into your settings and start turning off animations, that will help with processor lag and battery problems.

I've wiped this phone probably 3 or 4 times. And I've got so many things turned off, it's not really a smartphone anymore. At that point, what's the point of having a smartphone if you can't use it? Animations are turned off, GPS is turned off, Wi-Fi is turned off when I'm not using it, screen is usually fully dimmed, etc.

I can turn it off at night (lock it) with 70% battery remaining and it'll be stone cold dead in the morning. Zero juice.

It does bring up a question. Before I go to the trouble of replacing the battery (which might at least fix the battery drain issue) is there a way for the Apple store (or for me) to "load test" the battery to see if the battery itself is physically compromised (shorted, heated up too much, etc)? I wouldn't want to pay the 30 bucks to replace the bettery and go to the labor of doing it if it's really a software thing that keeps the processor cycled up all the time and the new one will drain as fast as the old one.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Nexus 5.

Doesn't work with Verizon.

I would suggest an S3 or S4. Soon android 4.3 will be official for all the US carriers and with it TRIM support on the s3 and s4.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Soon android 4.3 will be official for all the US carriers and with it TRIM support on the s3 and s4.

Please elaborate on TRIM support for Android devices. Similar to what is done with SSDs in computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back