Best Places to buy Diesel Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my buddy into changing his own oil. He now wants to tackle trying to change the oil on his 1995 Ford 250 with the Diesel engine.

Where do you guys buy your oil?

Who has the best selection, prices?

**Any tips to doing a diesel truck oil change?

Last edited:
any auto parts store, costco, BJs, wal-mart, etc sell these oils. There are also generally distributors that can sell in larger quantities.
Any are fine...

Here's a tip for you. Be sure to have enough drain pan volume to deal with the 10-15 quart sump capacity that these engines have. A friend of mine thought he would be all joe swag and change his trucks oil on a sunny Saturday afternoon. He bought 2 gallons of Delo on sale (it wasn't enough because he didn't read the manual), a new filter and took his 6 quart pan out to the driveway to do the deed. Needless to say he had to go back to the store for cat litter and another gallon of Delo.

Yeah it said 14 Qts. I asked him what he was going to drain it into.

Does Walmart sell Rotella and Rotella Syn in the 5 Qts jugs? Cost?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pickled
Here's a tip for you. Be sure to have enough drain pan volume to deal with the 10-15 quart sump capacity that these engines have. A friend of mine thought he would be all joe swag and change his trucks oil on a sunny Saturday afternoon. He bought 2 gallons of Delo on sale (it wasn't enough because he didn't read the manual), a new filter and took his 6 quart pan out to the driveway to do the deed. Needless to say he had to go back to the store for cat litter and another gallon of Delo.

Darn it, Pickled...you promised you wouldn't tell my secret to anyone.
06.gif

5 gal bucket from hardware store works great for drain pan. rig up on hvy duty ramps

just messy job with all the combustion carbon byproducts in the oil. newer rigs with EGR and multiple injector timing events are the worst for black oil
wear chemical gloves and old clothes to save on the scrubbing afterward.

put an oil drain plug valve in, saves the eyes being filled with flying hot oil

diesel oil in gallons comes on sale often, I buy up and store.

NAPA stores, truck stops and many of the tractor supply stores carry it in the 5 gallon pails and large drums

who would trust their $10,000 engine to the kid who wears the star at Quicky Flub

have fun.

I was at my Walmart today and looked at Prices.

Rotella: 11.50
Rotella Syn: 19.00
Mobil 1 TDT: 22.00

All are in gallon jugs.

I looked at the Tractor Supply Company website, and their prices for 5-gallon pails of Rotella are not much different per gallon from what Walmart charges for the one-gallon containers. And pouring from a one-gallon jug is easier than from a 5-gallon pail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back