Best oil for Porsche 991

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked you if the oil that you recommended to the OP carries the specification required by the vehicle's manufacturer.

The answer is that it does not.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
You got what you asked for.
It's there. You asked and I delivered.
No apples and oranges. Case closed!
Next!

You asked this as well- Page 1

Re: Best oil for Porsche 991 [Re: AirgunSavant]
kschachn Online content

Loc: Upper Midwest

Do you have a link to a ConocoPhillips data sheet that lists A40?

You know as well as I do that I asked that in the context of your post that the OP should use the oil in his vehicle. Not so that you could dredge up something in the interwebs that is inaccurate.

The out-of-date sheet you linked is deceptive to the OP in that it lists something that is no longer true, as verified by a company representative.

You asked this as well- Page 1
Do you have a link to a ConocoPhillips data sheet that lists A40?

That's where you're wrong again.
It's not inaccurate at all. Just dated. Big difference.
If it was inaccurate it wouldn't be archived on Porsches website. They did have approval until 2012 I believe until they quit paying for needless certs. How many Porsche owners are making any oil company rich. Most likely they are a great pain in the asp like Corvette owners are to Chevy!

That's where you're wrong again.
It's not inaccurate at all. Just dated. Big difference.
If it was inaccurate it wouldn't be archived on Porsches website. They did have approval until 2012 I believe until they quit paying for needless certs. How many Porsche owners are making any oil company rich. Most likely they are a great pain in the asp like Corvette owners are to Chevy!

What, exactly is archived on Porsche's website?

So bottom line, does Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic Euro Motor Oil 5W-40 carry the certification the OP's vehicle requires?

And how are Porsche owner's making oil companies rich by buying an oil that carries A40? Are you suggesting that by buying Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-40 (both of which DO carry the spec), I am somehow paying more than chasing down the Kendall? You yourself said:

I get it for around $60-$70 for a 12 qt case.

Are you claiming M1 or Castrol is more expensive? Even if you are, how is that making the oil company rich by buying a certified oil?

You call me wrong "again" yet you are the one who is somehow claiming that since the Kendall at one time carried the A40 specification it still "does". It does not. Using it would be using an uncertified oil in that application.

I agree,

A 3'rd as well.
Why get sucked into payola when you can put that money into your own product development......

Originally Posted By: wemay
And there are two ways to take that info....

1) If you (CP) don't care to test for approval, i don't care to purchase your product.

2) I agree with CP and am going to use it based on the word of mouth.

I agree,

A 3'rd as well.
Why get sucked into payola when you can put that money into your own product development......

And there are two ways to take that info....

1) If you (CP) don't care to test for approval, i don't care to purchase your product.

2) I agree with CP and am going to use it based on the word of mouth.

So what I got from this is:
Kendall 5W40 does not carry A40 approval, but can meet approval, but Conoco never sent it to Porsche. I mean, who is Porsche? They sent it to MB, BMW, VW, but Porsche? Who are those guys to be bothered with?
But Kendall is such "superior" oil compared to others, that Porsche listed as approved on apparently non-existant web site, since it should be privilege for Porsche to list such product as Kendall GT-1 whatever.
I worked on oil testings and approval process, it costs anywhere between 3-5000 euros, so I would guess there is another reason why Conoco never sent it for approval.
But, if nice lady said it could meet, then I think we solved this mystery.
On serious note, I am putting gas on Conoco ONLY when I MUST put gas, meaning, there is no other station around and I am running on fumes, not to mention to buy some afterthought of oil from them.

Last edited:
Maybe Doug will read this and give us his thoughts. I'm fairly certain there are no 30 grades on the Porsche list any longer, but using a lubricant with the correct builder approval would be a wise choice. Personally, I'd grab an approved lube that I could get reliably and at a good price, and stick with it.

Hi,
Garak - there are two Porsche Lists, A40 and C30, designed around different engine families

IMO it is wise to use a lubricant officially approved according to the OEM's specifications

Many myths abound about lubricants used in air cooled engines of any Brand - why is this? The designers always know best!!

That is inaccurate
It carried the A40 approval for the 3 year term up until late 2011 early 2012 by Porsche records. They did not renew ( Conoco). That is a far cry from what you and Mister Midwest would have you believe.
Of course neither of you drive Porsches or use Kendall so why cry? Get a life.

Thanks Doug
Agreed. However its soon to be 2016. Say it is today.
You bought Mobil one 5w-40 6 months ago and Mobil does not renew the Porsche approval in 2016. So is your oil no good because it's no longer approved. No. Not even an issue. Not that you said it but that is exactly what the non Porsche drivers are trying to suggest.

These same guys when you say my Porsche manual says to do this the first thing they do is run on here and tell you I'd never listen to the manual because they are often outdated. Go figure.
Much to do about nothing.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Garak - there are two Porsche Lists, A40 and C30, designed around different engine families

IMO it is wise to use a lubricant officially approved according to the OEM's specifications

Many myths abound about lubricants used in air cooled engines of any Brand - why is this? The designers always know best!!

Hi,

Thanks Doug! Between Mobil 1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40 (both being Porsche approved) what would be your personal choice? The cost is not really a big factor, these two are very close from this point of view.

Thank you everyone, much appreciated!

Last edited:
You bought Mobil one 5w-40 6 months ago and Mobil does not renew the Porsche approval in 2016. So is your oil no good because it's no longer approved. No. Not even an issue. Not that you said it but that is exactly what the non Porsche drivers are trying to suggest.

These same guys when you say my Porsche manual says to do this the first thing they do is run on here and tell you I'd never listen to the manual because they are often outdated. Go figure.

The fallacy is that you are assuming the reason they no longer carry the certification is because they just don't feel like paying the fee. How do you know this? Manufacturers can and do change formulations - and this often requires re-certification to not just A40 but most of the rest.

Also, please explain why one would pay more for Kendall Euro 5W-40 in an A40 application. Why would you do that when Castrol or M1 0W-40 do meet the required spec? And more so, why would you make a huge issue out of it here IRT a recommendation to someone else? Please don't tell me it is because you believe that the Kendall oil is "superior" to M1 or Castrol as you have no proof of that whatsoever, in fact you have indications of the opposite (look at the other certifications that the M1 or Castrol carry). No UOA or VOA is going to indicate otherwise. At least Amsoil says that it is suitable or "recommended" for certain applications or approvals. The Kendall doesn't even say that for A40.

Oh and no one ever said the Porsche manual was outdated calling for A40. I said the approved oil lists can be outdated, which in this case apparently it is. But I still haven't found the most current Porsche approved oil list on their website, have you?

If i understand this correctly, AirgunSavant is saying he bought the oil when it was approved. So if he still has that same stash today, when Kendall no longer carries said approval, it does not mean his stock lost it's approval.

I don't consider this unacceptable. Now, i wouldn't buy any current non-A40 Kendall, but i would definitely use the old approved stuff.

If i understand this correctly, AirgunSavant is saying he bought the oil when it was approved. So if he still has that same stash today, when Kendall no longer carries said approval, it does not mean his stock lost it's approval.

I don't consider this unacceptable. Now, i wouldn't buy any current non-A40 Kendall, but i would definitely use the old approved stuff.

I do not think that was his point.
I would assume that between 2012 and now he made enough miles to buy new stash of oil.
If Kendall had approval and now does not, that suggests formulation change (probably moving to cheaper base).
But seriously, with M1 0W40 and Castrol 0W40 available in WM, buying Kendall?

Thanks Doug

Hi,

No, non Porsche drivers (not sure why would that be an issue, owning Porsche gives you degree in engineering?) are saying to OP that if oil does not meet A40 approval, then avoid it.
If you already bought bottle or bottles that ARE approved, then use it.
So buying non approved oil: NO
All ready have stash of approved oil: yes.
On another issue, Mobil1 0W40 will always have Porsche approval.

According to Kendall's website this oil is a mid-SAPS formula and therefore can not meet A40 specification AFAIK.
They claim to meet ACEA C3-10, and MB229.51 which are both mid-SAPS specifications and I assume this part is valid.

The part that isn't is A3/B4-04 approval which is now obsolete, and shouldn't be there at all. Only ACEA 10 sequence (and 12, obviously) are valid. They have lost their Porsche approvals because minimum TBN changed with later sequences, and Porsche approvals apparently follow ACEAs change in specifications.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
According to Kendall's website this oil is a mid-SAPS formula and therefore can not meet A40 specification AFAIK.
They claim to meet ACEA C3-10, and MB229.51 which are both mid-SAPS specifications and I assume this part is valid.

The part that isn't is A3/B4-04 approval which is now obsolete, and shouldn't be there at all. Only ACEA 10 sequence (and 12, obviously) are valid. They have lost their Porsche approvals because minimum TBN changed with later sequences, and Porsche approvals apparently follow ACEAs change in specifications.

I already stated that this oil is an afterthought.
But since nice lady from Conoco sai it could meet A40 if they sent it for testing
cry.gif
then who are we to question:)

Originally Posted By: edyvw
But since nice lady from Conoco said it could meet A40 if they sent it for testing
cry.gif
then who are we to question:)

I could beat Garry Kasparov at chess if I wanted to try.

I just don't feel like it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back