best oil for high temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for the best oil that can hold up in high engine temps. My 3.6 Pentastar v6 in my Ram runs around 225 -230 degrees oil temp especially when towing. Thoughts?

I think those engines are designed to run hot. My son's 2015 Chrysler 200S routinely will see water temp over 230F when stuck in traffic - the engine doesn't seem to mind. He uses 5W-20 Mobil Super 5K "conventional" and changes by the OLM. No issues. Next change this summer I'll get a UOA and post it.

You need temps above boiling to help remove water and other things from your oil. Your not that high. What does your manual say? Your in a warmer area so can stick to a higher viscosity oil especially when towing.

Mobil 1 EP works great on my Versa engine that is always going at 4.5k-5k rpms in the highway with 4-5 adults.
Actually, any Synthetic oil can stand high temps. Try oils and find out one where your engine feels reasonably good and gives you peace of heart

Last edited:
Easy to find and on the wallet:
Quaker State Ultimate Durability can take the heat and is Mopar approved

Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
Looking for the best oil that can hold up in high engine temps. My 3.6 Pentastar v6 in my Ram runs around 225 -230 degrees oil temp especially when towing. Thoughts?

The oil temp gauge won't be telling you what the hottest oil temp in your engine is. I wouldn't assume all of it is at 230 deg or less.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
I think those engines are designed to run hot. My son's 2015 Chrysler 200S routinely will see water temp over 230F when stuck in traffic - the engine doesn't seem to mind. He uses 5W-20 Mobil Super 5K "conventional" and changes by the OLM. No issues. Next change this summer I'll get a UOA and post it.

They are designed to run hot. Too hot for this old timer. The coolant temps scare the [censored] out of me to be honest, and mine seems to run cooler than others have reported. I can't help but wonder if those high temps along with the poor design of the cylinder head water jackets and valve guides [prior to the revisions] helped contribute to the cylinder head failures some of the earlier 3.6L engines had. I only run synthetic oil in mine.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy

The oil temp gauge won't be telling you what the hottest oil temp in your engine is. I wouldn't assume all of it is at 230 deg or less.

The reported oil temp is likely to be the lowest temp, found in the sump or in the galleries where the oil is on it's way to get heated.

I would be more concerned if your ATF cooler is in the radiator with coolant temps at 230, supposedly cooling the ATF.

230F is nothing for a good synthetic, or any SN rated conventional oil for that matter.

Sure, there are gonna be some hot spots in the engine, but the oil will quickly be returning to the sump and 'cooling' down to that average sump temp.

I remember seeing an SRT engineer commenting that anything up to 300F is safe for a decent synthetic.

The ECU probably has an oil temp protection strategy in the event of elevated temps, so rest assured, your engine will do just fine no matter what brand SN oil you put in it.

Modern engines are designed to run hotter for emissions reasons - I doubt your Pentastar is putting the oil through anything more than a lot of the current crop of turbo I-4's in economy cars do, so any name brand full syn should be overkill.

Mobil 1 5W30 ESP has a very high flashpoint for its grade, 254C (489 F)...I believe that's the highest I've noted for oils I've looked at closely, but that is also not a test result I generally get too excited about. XOM doesn't share the NOACK loss, but it's about 6% according to the Russian Oil Club, so that also suggests that it's quite tolerant of high temps.
It is kind of a strange oil, though, low starting TBN so not a great choice for long OCIs on US gasoline and very low SAPS (0.6%). The HTHS is 3.58, which is more like a typical XXw40 than a 30 (most M1 5W30s are around 3-3.1). I believe it's largely targeted to the diesel market in Europe, but it is also approved by XOM for gas engines. Also tends to be harder to find and pricey in the US, and I have only been able to find it in single liter packaging (which I am not fond of). I am set on ~5000mile changes, so I don't worry about the TBN too much.

I was reading somewhere that rubber the seals will die from heat before modern oil cokes up.

230 is hot, but nothing to worry about.

I agree 28th what others are saying here, 230 is not troubling. Run a up a if you are concerned about the oil you choose bolding up. I imagine you will be pleased with the results. Just don't bump to a higher viscosity oil to deal with the heat, your temps will rise as thicker oil doesn't cool as well as the oil designed for your engine.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Mobil 1 will get the job done.

If OP is concerned about warranty, I would skip M1 as it doesn't meet MS-6395. Any synthetic that meets the spec should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back