Best oil and filter for over 200k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used a ton of Super S oil in 5w and 10w30. Never had any issues. It’s great oil for your car. Oil filters...pick whatever you like best.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Hope you don't use Purolator made filters if you want to take about "bad stuff".
wink.gif

I have lurked these forums for a while before registering so I've seen before the posts about media ripping and bad ADBVs, I'm steering clear of those too. lol

Supertech oil and filters are perfect for your application. Maybe do not go to 10k however.

Check your PCV valve/system. Thats most likely your source of oil consumption

Perhaps a talk about safety would be appropriate. If using ramps make they are in good shape or else buy new ones. Make sure the vehicle is properly in gear and the E brake is applied. Use chocks behind the rear wheels and they are the last things you remove after the finishing top job. It would be good to wear safety glasses when underneath the car.

Congratulations because you are able to what what so many people are too chicken to do!

SF

Last edited:
Any syn blend or full syn oil will get you 5K easily or follow your OLM. Get whatever flavor is on sale that you could find. Pennzoil and Mobil 1 has their rebate going on currently.

OEM, Wix, Napa Gold, Mobil 1, Fram TG/FU, and ST for filters off the top of my head.

Follow your owner manual and sleep soundly, welcome to BITOG!

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Perhaps a talk about safety would be appropriate. If using ramps make they are in good shape or else buy new ones. Make sure the vehicle is properly in gear and the E brake is applied. Use chocks behind the rear wheels and they are the last things you remove after the finishing top job. It would be good to wear safety glasses when underneath the car.

Congratulations because you are able to what what so many people are too chicken to do!

SF

Good post ~ I’d add the plastic ramps can fail on anything but smooth/paved/concrete …
I did a half dozen changes with my son’s before I became player/coach …

Originally Posted By: cwilliamsws6
I've heard things before about synthetic oil causing higher mileage cars to develop leaks. Should I run conventional?

I have not had any leaks since starting to use synthetic oil at 118,000 miles.

Now with 497,000 miles, still no leaks.

Hello everyone. I have a 2007 Honda CR-V that just rolled over 200,000 miles and now needs an oil change, too. I'm 16, this is my "first car", I have only had it since September so I have never done an oil change on it before. I was curious to know what you guys would think the best oil and filter combo would be. If it matters, I get all my stuff at O'Reilly. Thanks!

Because of the high prices on non-sale stuff at places like O'Reilly's, just take your vehicle to $19.99 oil change shop.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Super S is very good oil. ....I have run it in my Altima 3.5 VQ and it ran very quiet on Super S.

This is saying a lot. The Nissan 3.5 VQ is apparently really hard on oil.

Buy several jugs if they are on clearance!

Originally Posted By: harry j
I've heard things before about synthetic oil causing higher mileage cars to develop leaks. Should I run conventional?

What are you running with 497k miles on it? When is the half million party?

I’m going to say something very UN-BITOG like here...

Don’t freak out, I’m fine.

It doesn’t matter. Pick a filter and oil that meets the specs in the owners manual and change it at something approaching a reasonable interval and it will be totally completely fine.

As far as Fram making Honda filters, that is true of the A02 filter - what isn’t true is most of the rest of the junk you read about them. Fram makes them to Honda specs and Honda says they can do 2 OCI which is 20,000 miles in the case of my Civic. Honda has confidence in them, so should you. If you really just want something else Honda A01 and HAMP filters are available all day long on Amazon and other places. Regular Fram are fine too, TG7317 or XG7317 very good filters for the intended mileages.

If you don’t have complete records on it and if its been maintained by quick lubes, it might not be such a bad idea to give it a through baseline checkover for needs.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I’m going to say something very UN-BITOG like here...

Don’t freak out, I’m fine.

It doesn’t matter. Pick a filter and oil that meets the specs in the owners manual and change it at something approaching a reasonable interval and it will be totally completely fine.

As far as Fram making Honda filters, that is true of the A02 filter - what isn’t true is most of the rest of the junk you read about them. Fram makes them to Honda specs and Honda says they can do 2 OCI which is 20,000 miles in the case of my Civic. Honda has confidence in them, so should you. If you really just want something else Honda A01 and HAMP filters are available all day long on Amazon and other places. Regular Fram are fine too, TG7317 or XG7317 very good filters for the intended mileages.

If you don’t have complete records on it and if its been maintained by quick lubes, it might not be such a bad idea to give it a through baseline checkover for needs.

I agree I worked over 23 years doing fleet type work and oil is oil these days with the proper ratings from quality companies as well as oil filters. The most important filter is the air filters and well sealed intake plumbing. . Don't fall for marketing claims learn to discern.

Best oil and filter for over 200k miles?

Any oil with the API starburst and any filter on the market.

Any other post in this thread is just smoke.

Might be comparing apples to oranges, but my 97' Accord currently has 210K miles on it and runs great with the Havoline Conventional 5W30 and a Fram Extra guard on it. 5K mile OCI.

Mahle changed the design/size/manufacturer of their OC330 or I'd be running one of those.
Previous design was made in Austria and was similar in size to the A02 fiters.
New ones are the size of a PH6607 Fram filter and are now made in Mexico.

"Best oil and filter for over 200k miles?"

The one you're emotionally drawn to and makes you feel like you've picked the best one ... even though it might not be the best choice.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: harry j
cwilliamsws6 said:

What are you running with 497k miles on it? When is the half million party?

Amsoil 0W-30

Party? Stay tuned

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back