Are Subaru engines made of glass?

This isn't meant to be a bash post because we'll I've always wanted a Subaru. They're different and different is fun. However I've been doing some research and it seems like everywhere I turn every engine option has a huge flaw that costs a ton to fix. From bad head gaskets, to ring land failure from a shoddy factory tune to some of them having cam carrier gaskets failures that leak oil. I know the internet is full of haters for every vehicle but the problems discussed for Subaru seem worse than most. Is it internet hype or are these real legitimate concerns that one should be prepared for?

Our family have had three Subarus go at least 150K miles before issues or accidents forced them off the road. This included the 2.5L engines with head gasket issues. We followed the Subaru owner's manual for maintenance and had no issues with the engines at all. For these engines we did use the Subaru coolant conditioner as recommended. That has made these three Subarus at the same reliability level as the two Corollas we owned previously.

This isn't meant to be a bash post because we'll I've always wanted a Subaru. They're different and different is fun. However I've been doing some research and it seems like everywhere I turn every engine option has a huge flaw that costs a ton to fix. From bad head gaskets, to ring land failure from a shoddy factory tune to some of them having cam carrier gaskets failures that leak oil. I know the internet is full of haters for every vehicle but the problems discussed for Subaru seem worse than most. Is it internet hype or are these real legitimate concerns that one should be prepared for?
Head gasket is resolved in newer models.
Generally, today, biggest issue is oil starvation on Subaru/Toyota models and some WRX/Sti on track. But, other vehicles had/have that issue too, and track is not something you should take as a problem (that is different conversation if w etalk performance at limits).
WHat can happen is that people who complain about that, flood internet and you get a lot of negative clicks etc.
I think engine per see is OK. I generally, think other stuff is mediocre, especially that they advertise as some rugged vehicle. Pay attention on windshield. If it has eyesight get full glass replacement insurance.

If you look an Honda, bad automatics and VCM issues. If you look at Toyota oil consumption. If you look at the big three, oil issues, cam phasers, CVT. Every vehicle has it's issues. If you like it enough you'll look beyond them. Subaru's are unique in their own right, different engine construction so the same issues that happen to them don't apply to other makes. I personally never had an issue I didn't know about before purchasing the vehicle especially with turbo charged engines.

If you look an Honda, bad automatics and VCM issues. If you look at Toyota oil consumption. If you look at the big three, oil issues, cam phasers, CVT. Every vehicle has it's issues. If you like it enough you'll look beyond them. Subaru's are unique in their own right, different engine construction so the same issues that happen to them don't apply to other makes. I personally never had an issue I didn't know about before purchasing the vehicle especially with turbo charged engines.
Another very common complaint about Subaru is CVT. It dies! But when you look at what owner did, you will see huge A/T or M/T tires slapped on Crosstreck or regular Outback which overwhelms CVT.
Then they go on forums and complain about CVT. Partly it is Subaru's advertising that pushes that "rugged" narrative, but that is about it.

Anything newer than about 2013 or so the engines are pretty good. Anything newer than 2017 the CVTs are pretty good too. The CVT/engine oil cooler is probably the weak point now but it’s not a big deal to fix and don’t need to worry for 100-120k miles or so anyway.

We have a 2007 Impreza 2.5i with 5 speed that 3 sons used when they were going to university. I believe we are well over 90,000 miles. Zero problems. Engine still pulls strong. Using 0W40 Mobil 1 right now w/5,000 mi OCI. 1/3 qt oil used between changes. The rest of the car has been bullet proof minus normal maintenance items...

Parents still drive their 2000 Forester automatic with 198k bough brand new no major mechanical issues including head gaskets.

Just some wheel bearings, mufflers, alternator….

I can share my experience with 4 Chrysler vehicles over the past 4 decades. Yes, Chrysler. I'm a minimalist and my vehicles reflect that. My first 3 were short wheelbase Caravans with the 4 cyl. engines. They all had low cost of ownership and relatively reliable. I replaced a broken camshaft in the first one at 200K and drove it a bit more. The tranny in the 3rd. one was rebuilt - it failed 6 months after a 40mph rear end hit that maybe had an effect? Who knows. My Jeep Patriot is at 10 years, 120K with nothing more than maintenance items.

The common denominator is that I took care of all of them very well.

Regarding Subaru research: Woo..........researching vehicles on the internet is super hard to pick out the facts. My 2014 Patriot has a somewhat crude and unrefined MI built engine, but is very simple and reliable. The 6 speed Hyundai 6F24 transmission is solid. They upgraded the suspension problems of the first generation. My point.......I ferreted out the facts regarding reliability and common problems. With good care, my low cost econobox grade vehicles have had very low ownership cost and not nearly the problems of other brands I read about.

I avoided the Forester 10 years ago because I didn't want AWD and they had not ironed out the oil consumption issues yet. My questions if I were to look at them again:
1.) How much does tire management run up the costs (replace 4 every time one is bad)?
2.) Past 100k or so, how much does AWD repairs run up the ownership costs?
3.) I assume you no longer need to be a lesbian to own a Subaru?? LOL, I intend not to chap anyone's rear end with this comment, but a few years ago there seemed to be some connection between Subarus and lesbians that mad for popular folkore on the net.

Last edited:
I plan on one full set of four tires in my calculations. Of the three Subarus I mentioned above, two required a set of four tires prematurely. Our current two Outbacks are too young so far to have this issue.

Past 100K, zero cost for AWD repairs. Tire management, plus doing drain and fills on the transaxle and differentials went a long way to mitigate potential issues.

Except for the oil consumption issue, I can't relate when I read discussions where others bash Subaru engines. I have over 153k miles on my wife's 2013 Outback. And except for oil consumption, it has been absolutely trouble free. And the CVT hasn't given me a second of problems.

Subaru wasn't alone with the oil consumption issue. During that era of cars, there were all kinds of engines that were consuming oil, including Toyota, Acura, Chevy, Volvo, Mini, Audi. Even BMW, who had the highest % of owners reporting oil consumption issues out of the suspect engine model. So to call out Subaru engines as bad, because of oil consumption, requires one to either call out all the others too, or turn a blind eye to the evidence.

Interestingly enough, by far, the majority of Subaru engine trash talk seems to come from those that have never owned a Subaru. I often wonder if a lot of the "bad Subaru engine" reputation, comes from the head gasket issue, for which the reputation was probably well deserved. But that seems like ancient history now.

Like most internet complaints it’s probably overblown. There are no doubt years to avoid.

I do think the Boxter engine is a poor design unless your trying to win Rally. And given they only sell AWD there cafe numbers forced them to be early adopters of low tension rings and CVT’s. So those owners where beta testers.

I think you really need to want there benefits to make them worthwhile. If you just want reliable buy a Camry.

Honda bad automatic transmissions? Good since 2007. Known for bad paint and uncomfortable seats

Internet amplification. Family has been driving Subaru vehicles continuously since 1998. I know there have been some legitimate problems, but the last time I had a Subaru warranty issue was in 2010 with a sagging headliner. Before that it was 2002 with a bad ABS module. 25 years of basically tires, oil, and gasoline. In our household we've sworn by them. Guess others have swore at them. YMMV. Fellow Subaru lovers: How did I do with my Subie cheerleading?

I challenge anyone with any year Subaru to send out an oil sample to a lab which can specifically test for glycol and then come and post about how great the Subaru engine is. Subaru is categorically and unequivocally the most over rated vehicle on the planet.

Direct injection AND turbo the double kiss of death for an allready seriously flawed engine-read open deck.

I avoided the Forester 10 years ago because I didn't want AWD and they had not ironed out the oil consumption issues yet. My questions if I were to look at them again:
1.) How much does tire management run up the costs (replace 4 every time one is bad)?
2.) Past 100k or so, how much does AWD repairs run up the ownership costs?
3.) I assume you no longer need to be a lesbian to own a Subaru?? LOL, I intend not to chap anyone's rear end with this comment, but a few years ago there seemed to be some connection between Subarus and lesbians that mad for popular folkore on the net.

1.) They tend to wear very evenly in my experience and I've been told many times they are not as sensitive to size different like other AWD makes.
2.) I never had to repair anything actually AWD related in my life of ownign them 10+years
3.) LOL, No but you are not wrong about it. I hear you need to own flannel shirts though. 😁

:ROFLMAO:

I think they've been replaced with furries in the more recent times... :LOL:

I am still waiting on my Coexist sticker. Figured it would have come in the mail already, or does it just grow on there? I figured you automatically get one when you buy a Subaru.... :ROFLMAO:

Back