Best C30/VW507 oil for towing with high temps

I tow a travel trailer with my Cayenne Diesel. Oil temps seem to fluctuate greatly based on how hard I'm pushing it. Without towing I will see around 225F on the highway at 65mph. When towing I'll see 240F at 55MPH, 250F at 65MPH, and it will climb to 280F-290F+ when climbing long steep highway grades at speed. Currently using Mobil1 ESP which meets the C30 spec, but I'm wondering if there is a better oil to use that will handle the higher temps? Or are these temps acceptable with the M1?

I tow a travel trailer with my Cayenne Diesel. Oil temps seem to fluctuate greatly based on how hard I'm pushing it. Without towing I will see around 225F on the highway at 65mph. When towing I'll see 240F at 55MPH, 250F at 65MPH, and it will climb to 280F-290F+ when climbing long steep highway grades at speed. Currently using Mobil1 ESP which meets the C30 spec, but I'm wondering if there is a better oil to use that will handle the higher temps? Or are these temps acceptable with the M1?
290f+? Those are track temperatures.
I am guessing your vehicle does not have a warranty anymore?
You can definitely go thicker oil. VW511.00 is equivalent of VW504.00/507.00 but in 40 grade. But IMO< that is just to make sure something does not go south:

I personally would look for options to install an appropriate oil cooler.

Hey John, really no feedback on your question. But --- I am right up the road from you here in Morgantown Pa... Glad to have you aboard as another Berks County member. Great site with great members.

Mobil1 ESP is a solid choice! Is there a reason you're not happy with the way it performs other than temperature related concerns?

I would also recommend Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 (5w-30) or Top Tec 4210 (0w-30) both of which meet the specs for your car

Maybe PP Euro L 5w30, not C30 but a solid oil or move up to a 40 weight oil. PP Euro L has solid approvals.
Also 2nd an external oil cooler and definitely a trans cooler if it doesn't have one already
Screenshot_20230820-162957.jpg

Last edited:
Mobil1 ESP is a solid choice! Is there a reason you're not happy with the way it performs other than temperature related concerns?

I would also recommend Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 (5w-30) or Top Tec 4210 (0w-30) both of which meet the specs for your car

Oil is a stop gap. He really needs a radiator-type oil cooler with a thermostat.
Also, if the oil is 290f, I am wondering what is his transmission fluid temperature.

I agree. While VW 511 00/Porsche C40 is appropriate, it still isn't a solution.
These temps are excessive apparently.
At 280/290°F oil temp means the coolant is certainly way too high also and
both cylinder heads as well as the pistons (both aluminum). Aluminum gets
weaker with elevated heat.
For that reason, I'd determine actual coolant temps as well as browse some
Porsche forum just to get what Porsche add to factory equipped trailer hooks.
For example additional/auxiliary radiators and/or enlarged engine and trans-
mission oil/coolant exchangers.
Changing the actual coolant mix to I'd say 30/70 coolant concentrate/destilled
water is the easiest way, however do your math first. For example it could be
a faulty temp sensor . . . .

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your comments. I should add that coolant temps remain steady at 200F even when the oil temps climb. While I don't have a way to check transmission temps, I just had the fluid flushed (at 110,000 miles) and it wasn't burnt at all. Tech said it looked and smelled good. Replaced with Liqui Moly. Finally, the only time the temps get above 280F is up long steep grades of 3-5 miles and only if I'm pushing it to maintain 65MPH. If I ease off and drop it down a few gears, the temps will stay about 275-280F. This is what I have been doing but I'd rather keep the speed up :).

Hey John, really no feedback on your question. But --- I am right up the road from you here in Morgantown Pa... Glad to have you aboard as another Berks County member. Great site with great members.
Hi! I haven't been on here in awhile and never changed my profile. Lived there for over 35 years, have since retired to lower DE.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I should add that coolant temps remain steady at 200F even when the oil temps climb. While I don't have a way to check transmission temps, I just had the fluid flushed (at 110,000 miles) and it wasn't burnt at all. Tech said it looked and smelled good. Replaced with Liqui Moly. Finally, the only time the temps get above 280F is up long steep grades of 3-5 miles and only if I'm pushing it to maintain 65MPH. If I ease off and drop it down a few gears, the temps will stay about 275-280F. This is what I have been doing but I'd rather keep the speed up :).
If you are towing 65mph up steep grades this is your problem. Slow down, no reason to try and maintain that speed, even if you have external coolers. Towing with my 5500k-6k loaded camper we only try and maintain 40-45mph up steep grades. You risk damage to your trans/eng if you keep those speeds up.

My suggestion is to slow down.

There is no current solution for an air-oil cooler for the VW CNRB.

A quality HDEO may not be a bad choice.

If you really want to keep heat away, diesels are emissions exempt in PA...

If you are towing 65mph up steep grades this is your problem. Slow down, no reason to try and maintain that speed, even if you have external coolers. Towing with my 5500k-6k loaded camper we only try and maintain 40-45mph up steep grades. You risk damage to your trans/eng if you keep those speeds up.
(y)

My suggestion is to slow down.

There is no current solution for an air-oil cooler for the VW CNRB.

A quality HDEO may not be a bad choice.

If you really want to keep heat away, diesels are emissions exempt in PA...
Unfortunately, I have recently moved to DE but considering moving back to PA. Not that I'll do it, but curious how much a DPF and EGR delete will save in heat generation?

That oil temperature is not that big of an issue, per se. But, I am wondering about transmission temperature.

That oil temperature is not that big of an issue, per se. But, I am wondering about transmission temperature.
Transmission temps on these are rock solid. It's a well built until with a separate air-oil cooler.

Unfortunately, I have recently moved to DE but considering moving back to PA. Not that I'll do it, but curious how much a DPF and EGR delete will save in heat generation?
Massive improvement. During towing you're probably always in a "passive" regen state and EGT, oil, and underhood temps go through the roof.

Back