Best ATF for vintage Toyota P/S system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats funny, I have a 89 toyota soarer that asks for Dex II . I recently rebuilt my PS system and filled it with Penrite ATF which is a DEX III spec full syn and the system works great with no leaks. I also installed a Hayden 1009 P.S cooler.

I thought transmissions that used Type T-IV or WS could not have Dexron in them. Is there any difference between Type T-IV, WS and Dexron? Or is WS really very similar to or the same as Dexron VI? I only wonder because someone mentioned fluids being interchangeable.

My "vintage" Landcruiser calls for DEX II / III.... Currently I am using Total ATX in it (DEX II) and it runs flawlessly...

Originally Posted by Chuckh
I thought transmissions that used Type T-IV or WS could not have Dexron in them. Is there any difference between Type T-IV, WS and Dexron? Or is WS really very similar to or the same as Dexron VI? I only wonder because someone mentioned fluids being interchangeable.

No they are not interchangable. Dex II and III has higher viscosity.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have a 2000 Lexus LS 400 that bought with 134000 and has 164000 on it now. When you turn the car on the Steering wheel moves automatically into the position you drive and when you turn the car off or moves back in so you can more easily exit the car. The steering wheel has elicited a terrible creaking noise since I bought the car. I am not mechanical so I syphoned Fluid from the power steering resovoir and replaced-about 8 ounces with lubeguard synthetic power steering fluid. I did this again after driving for a day and plan to do this weekly. The creaking noise has completely disappeared since.

Originally Posted by spiderbypass
I have a 2000 Lexus LS 400 that bought with 134000 and has 164000 on it now. When you turn the car on the Steering wheel moves automatically into the position you drive and when you turn the car off or moves back in so you can more easily exit the car. The steering wheel has elicited a terrible creaking noise since I bought the car. I am not mechanical so I syphoned Fluid from the power steering resovoir and replaced-about 8 ounces with lubeguard synthetic power steering fluid. I did this again after driving for a day and plan to do this weekly. The creaking noise has completely disappeared since.

Even non mechanics can do a ps flush. It only takes a set of ramps or jacks with Jack stands. And a buddy. You lift the vehicle and disconnect the return line to the reservoir. You turn the wheel lock to lock and fill in new fluid as you turn. When you are happy with the fluid color coming out you stop turning and button it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back