Best AA batteries for camera flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an external flash. It takes 2 AA batteries. Thus far, I've been using regular alkaline batteries in it, but the recycle times aren't as fast as I'd like. Doing some googling, it appears NiMH batteries can offer faster recycle times. I ordered some Panasonic Eneloop Pro on a whim, but I haven't really done a ton of research on this.

Are there specific battery technologies and specific brands/models that would be best suited for this job?

Thanks!

The bestnon-rechargeables would be the energizer Lithium nonrechargeables, but they are not cost effective.
Just go with eneloops.

People with flashlights produce charts and statistics and always use the eneloops as the baseline and they will pump out power faster than alkalines.
I suppose there are the Eneloop XX which maybe slightly better.

The benefit also is perhaps you get good enough performance only the first 50% of battery life. With the rechargeables, you can swap out the batteries even if they're not fully used up.

If it still is too slow, perhaps then it's a matter of design of your external flash being underengineered and you need a different more robust external flash (that perhaps using a different battery setup).

Last edited:
I run regular Eneloop (and their generic-label Amazon Basic counterpart) with my Nikon speedlight.

No experience with the Eneloop Pro, but the regulars work very well, so I can't imagine the Pros would be worse.

Can't go wrong with any of the genuine Eneloops, just depends on which needs are more important either high capacity or low self discharge. Also some have much better charge cycle counts

Originally Posted By: raytseng
If it still is too slow, perhaps then it's a matter of design of your external flash being underengineered and you need a different more robust external flash (that perhaps using a different battery setup).

It's not too bad. I've seen one article where the flash (Speedlight 400) takes about 4 seconds to recycle on alkaline batteries, which is more or less what I've been experiencing. It takes 2.5 seconds on NiMH batteries.

Try some sanyo nicds. Remember those? Get yourself a few sets, as the capacity will be lower. But they are faster than nimh.

I use Eneloops or other Low Self Discahrge NiMH in my flashlights and in my flashes. Best of both worlds - great performance in the lights and low recycle time in the flashes. And they will last 1+ year and still have like 80% of their capacity. Tough as nails too - almost as tough as a NiCad.

Another great place to pick up Eneloops is Costco. They usually have a pack with 8 AA, 4 or 8AAA and a charger for $30.

Get eneloops (or the same duracell precharged, or the Sony equivalent, they're all the same), and a GOOD charger. Like the LaCrosse:

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-...ry+charger+nimh

There are now 2550 mAh Eneloop Pro cells. Im not sure if the impedance is similar or different, but remember that high power cells often don't store as much energy, so the 2000mAh may actually be better (assuming the impedance is lower and rate capability is higher) than the pro. Just speculating though...

I think the eneloop pro deliver more milliamps but at the expense of the total number of times they can be recharged as compared to the regular eneloops. Probably still hundreds of times.

For a casual user, what's wrong with the Panasonic-branded charger that comes with a pack of Eneloop Pro batteries?

Yes, it is slow, but I thought that was actually good for the batteries.

I use disposable lithium batteries in my flash. Far from a power user, but keeping an extra 4 pack in my camera bag and it's always ready. Currently set have been in the flash a long time and the recycle time seems reasonable.

So, the eneloop pros I received took about 4-5 hours to charge out of the box, so it sounds like they were only half pre-charged? Either that, or they are really, really old. Alas, they have "15-07" stamped on them. If that is their mfg date, then they're quite fresh.

Anyway, hoping to put them to work in the coming weeks and see how they fare.

here's a cool gizmo that i use to help organize batteries.

http://www.storacell.net/

They have certain models/colors relatively cheap and also avail on amazon.
You can use a system such as button up for charged, button down for discharged.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
There are now 2550 mAh Eneloop Pro cells. Im not sure if the impedance is similar or different, but remember that high power cells often don't store as much energy, so the 2000mAh may actually be better (assuming the impedance is lower and rate capability is higher) than the pro. Just speculating though...

My charger reports the internal resistance of regular Eneloops to be around 70 mOhm. The Eneloop Pro - around 50 mOhm.

Not sure how accurate this is.

Get eneloops (or the same duracell precharged, or the Sony equivalent, they're all the same),

BTW, the more recent Amazon-branded nimh batteries are supposedly rebranded Eneloops, too.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

My charger reports the internal resistance of regular Eneloops to be around 70 mOhm. The Eneloop Pro - around 50 mOhm.

Not sure how accurate this is.

Well if we go by the definition that:

I = C * dV/dt

Then through arrangement you can see that:

I/dV = C/dt

Since Resistance = V/I, then the above equality when integrated also relates to the reciprocal of resistance.

But long story short from above, one can generally see that how voltage drops when charge is removed should define impedance. So intrinsically, a higher capacity cell will reduce voltage less for a certain amount of charge removed, which is intrinsically sound given that higher energy cells can have more energy removed before voltage (which is an indicator of state of charge) is meaningfully decreased.

Which also should mean a lower voltage drop for a given load.

The question becomes if it is higher cost weight that is used to get more energy in the pro cell, or if some other way of reducing one of the many internal resistance factors means that more capacity can be extracted before a minimum voltage is reached, or some combo.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Sanyo rechargables ?

Sanyo was acquired by Panasonic, but the Eneloop brand name remained.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back