Beloved Highlander sold, Tundra hunting....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to run a 0/40 oil in this too..have to sell my Ultra 4386 filters.

I noticed you moved away from using dual-rated 'fleet' oil in your vehicles...you ran the highlander on D1.

Did you do this b/c the D1 didn't give you the best UOA result (the 15k run was a bit rough)?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I noticed you moved away from using dual-rated 'fleet' oil in your vehicles...you ran the highlander on D1.

Did you do this b/c the D1 didn't give you the best UOA result (the 15k run was a bit rough)?

somewhat, when I sold Highlander the fill was still D1 but the main reason is the switch to CK-4 ..not sure new D1 is the same as CJ-4 so reserving my CJ stock for powersport engines moving auto engines over to 0/40..Toyota's are abit hard on oil but 15k is really pushing a Toyota TC engine IMO.

Originally Posted By: dblshock

Hmmmm, I'd swap ya my 4 FPS 3614's filters for those ULTRA 4386. PM me if interested
smile.gif

That is a great-looking truck!

I really like that generation of 4 Runner. My mom has a 2002 with the V-8. Thirsty, but it's been bulletproof for 200,000 miles.

I think you made a great choice.

I think 1794 has something to do with the year the cattle ranch began on the land the Toyota factory that builds the newerTundras is located on near San Antonio, TX.

Originally Posted By: car51

Hmmmm, I'd swap ya my 4 FPS 3614's filters for those ULTRA 4386. PM me if interested
smile.gif

Perfect! PM me.

This 4runner is a 1 owner woman who never had it off the pavement, garage kept and hubby is a 3k OCI guy and Lucas diff fluids as per schedule cause Mom was transporting their children...he proudly claimed it doesn't use any oil, never added a drop..I have the center caps off for black plasi dip.

love how Toyota 'steers' for CAFE/ILSAC oil (it's what they don't say that speaks clearer)...I'm upgrading to high Ca 0/40 M1 with Fram Ultra here on the second day.

Was supposed to be the oldest working ranch - Toyota like Schlumberger and others become Americanized when so much money is made in the USA ...
So WRT M1 0w40 - seems dozens of the same motors run 40 outside of the US - if Toyota had a greater presence in Europe - we'd see even more use ...
My Cruze 1.4T will get M1 5w-40 at 90k ... ecoboost post warranty too ...

1974 is the ranch in Texas, where Tundras are built. It is supposedly the oldest known working ranch in America. They are designed, built, marketed, purchased, and used by mostly Americans so this is Toyota's way to telling the Beg Three to shove it. Dodge/Ram isn't even American anymore.

Last edited:
looking every where for the transmission dip stick..is it possible it doesn't exist?..

and getting rid of the hitch for the compact factory reciever..hope the bolts will work.

You likely have no transmission dipstick. It probably is like my 2005 V8 4Runner...sealed transmission. Just do drain/fills as needed. There is a specific process to follow. My V8 has 145,000 on it and I love it. I get ~18-19 mpg unless I drive 55-60, and then I get ~21. I'm keeping it since it is so reliable but am in the market for a full-size truck. if gas, it will likely be a Tundra or a Chevy. If diesel (I eventually want to put a Lance bed-camper on) it will probably be a Dodge 2500.

Here's the Highlander replacement...2006 4Runner 4.0 tow pkg. locking diffs, sunroof, oil cooler, nice bridgestone tires trans cooler, 1 owner 127k $9,250.00 the new upgraded camp truck.

Congrats on the 4runner. One thing, your front and rear differentials are open diffs. You have a multi-mode transfer case, which will have a Torsen differential, which can be locked (part-time 4wd) for really slick conditions. You can run in 2wd, full-time 4wd, or part-time 4wd.

ordered set of plugs as the PO has Autolite replacments intsalled..also had a little updating done for a reference point

2 ball joints, bushings and 4 links

rear Toyota pads and after market rotors

2 CV boots

F/F trans, all pumpkins and u-joints lubed

removed the after market class III hitch replaced it with OEM compact 2" reciever (5,000lb.)

removed side steps...is this acceptable?...seems like alot of frame exposed.

$1,450.00

Lots of 4Runners without running boards. They do help protect the paint on the door sills and doors, from rocks kicked up by the tires. But if you don't want them on there, that's fine. The frame being visible, is just aesthetics.

I like the look without the boards but need to wire brush and paint the exposed frame then decide.

Lots of rusty frame showing once the running boards were removed..rather than brush and paint all that think I'll just reinstall the boards.

If you want to have it for years to come, and it will continue to be used in a highly corrosive environment, I'd suggest taking care of the rust, before the frame rusts away.

I've seen all makes of vehicles rot away, from neglect in a highly corrosive environment. I live in an area where the roads are salted heavily, all winter long. People will wash the body of their vehicles, but completely neglect the undercarraige. What they end up with is a vehicle with a body that looks great, but the frame has rotted away. Then it's either replace the frame, or junk the car. Most often they are junked.

The body of your 4Runner appears to be in great shape, the frame is worth preserving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back