Battery stuck in flashlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a leaking battery, contact 1-800-383-7323 for return instructions.

I got it out! Let it sit overnight with the baking soda and water mix. I beat the bottom of the flashlight on a piece of wood till it came out. I then ran more water and baking soda through it to clean it. Put it up n the sun for an HR to dry. Battery that leaked was a USA made Wall greens battery.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
Put a wood screw into the battery. Pull the screw with pliers.

If it's a brand name battery they should replace the light.

+1
smile.gif

Then send the Mag-Lite back for repair (lifetime warranty). When they call you to see if you want an upgrade, just say no, fix and ship
smile.gif

Unless you want the upgrade. As mine have been getting trashed, I send them back and buy their CREE LED version for ~$18 in two D cell. Work great and last a long time on two batteries
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Can you still beat up hippies with it?
laugh.gif

I 2nd the wood screw idea. You could weld some 1/4" rod to a self-drilling screw. A 4" decking screw that goes all the way through would catch more. You might get better luck going through either the center (a carbon rod) or somewhat off center.

I've given up on mag lights years ago. Lately I've been getting this C8 flashlight, one of the brightest LED lately is the Cree XP-L Hi V3. At least for flashlights in the $20 range. It's way smaller than a mag light, but I think you could still beat up a hippie with it if needed. We don't have that many left around here and I've never had to beat anyone up with a flashlight yet.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sale...2796123332.html

I just use the cheap HF batteries and lights ... I owned and may still own a MagLight , but I do not know where it is ..A problem with having too much stuff . The HF LED "headlight" is far better than any MagLight due to design .
Pitch the Mag and buy the "headlight" .

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: OilFilters
Put a wood screw into the battery. Pull the screw with pliers.

If it's a brand name battery they should replace the light.

+1
smile.gif

Then send the Mag-Lite back for repair (lifetime warranty). When they call you to see if you want an upgrade, just say no, fix and ship
smile.gif

Their warranty specifically excludes battery failures but maybe they'll fix it anyway if it needs it.

Glad you got it out. Use better batteries.

Originally Posted By: earthworm
The HF LED "headlight" is far better than any MagLight due to design .

I've had 2 Maglights that quit working after using them just a few times. Both had electrical issues. I have Convoys now.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Their warranty specifically excludes battery failures but maybe they'll fix it anyway if it needs it.

A good battery manufacturer will warranty the damage, but will shipping the light exceed the value of the light?

Not to derail, but it's like the LED house bulbs up here. They guarantee a bunch of hours, but if it fails, the warranty claim requires me to send it to the States for warranty, and postage will exceed the cost of the replacement.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
A good battery manufacturer will warranty the damage, but will shipping the light exceed the value of the light?

For what it’s worth I actually turned in a couple of claims from leaking batteries and I didn’t have to send the items in or anything. I had a couple of nice kitchen timers I bought for my wife’s business and both were damaged from leaking Duracell batteries. I called them up, they wanted the lot number from the remaining batteries in the box and they reimbursed me the cost of two replacement timers based on the Amazon price. They also sent me $20 in coupons for new batteries.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I have drilled the battery casings out of maglite bodies on a lathe, I would just throw the piece of junk in the trash!
10/4 on that cline. Every Maglight I have ever owned has had problems sooner or later. Overpriced and overrated.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
10/4 on that cline. Every Maglight I have ever owned has had problems sooner or later. Overpriced and overrated.

Too bad Denso doesn't sell flashlights
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
For what it’s worth I actually turned in a couple of claims from leaking batteries and I didn’t have to send the items in or anything.

That's pretty good! I have never had the chance to try it. Years back, I had a Maglite corrosion issue, so I bought a new one, and my dad simply wanted to try to get it working again as a project to soothe boredom. Well, he did succeed in getting it back running.

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
OP should have used alkaline battery. Vinegar would have cleaned it out.

I'm sure my dad was playing with all kinds of water, vinegar, baking soda, and whatever else he got his hands on. And, having been a farmer, I'm sure WD-40 got involved somehow, too, along with a hammer.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back