Battery Recommendations?

Originally Posted by Donald
Take it back. Even with no sales slip they should go on mfg date. Get a fresh battery.

Advance is not doing that anymore, I just went through a gigantic ration of BS with them over an almost new dead Autocraft gold that I put in someones car.

I do alot of business with them and have my receipt on my elite account and on paper I should have no problem exchanging it they are usually pretty cool with returns or exchanges I was just wondering if they maybe changed to a lower quality supplier and if I should try a different brand.

Originally Posted by Dogred08
I do alot of business with them and have my receipt on my elite account and on paper I should have no problem exchanging it they are usually pretty cool with returns or exchanges I was just wondering if they maybe changed to a lower quality supplier and if I should try a different brand.
If you have your online receipt, that's good enough. They're still (leaky, IMO) Johnson Controls batteries, markedly inferior to anything made by East Penn (I've been using Duracell ones myself, from Sam's Club).

I've had a love hate relationship with Duracell the last few I had where the "fully sealed" lead 12v 8ampish batteries which worked great for about 6 months then just crap out and I found out after tearing them apart and unsealing them that the cells ran dry and burned up. But if there car batteries are better I might give one a try.

Every store always sells "Dud" battery, it does not matter whether JC or EP made them.
They usually sells 3 level with different level of replacement warranty.

It is wise to keep the receipt.
I have a binder for all my vehicle (only 2).
Everytime I bought something for that car, the receipt goes into the binder's sleeve.
It is just a matter of removing the receipt from my wallet to the binder.
Simple but effective.

Originally Posted by Dogred08
I've had a love hate relationship with Duracell the last few I had where the "fully sealed" lead 12v 8ampish batteries which worked great for about 6 months then just crap out and I found out after tearing them apart and unsealing them that the cells ran dry and burned up. But if there car batteries are better I might give one a try.

East Penn makes the automotive Duracells, they also make Deka & other brands. The advantage of getting them from Sam's is a 3 year replacement warranty instead of 2 years from Batteries Plus (and Deka from AP stores that carry them). I've had Interstate Mega Tron Plus batteries last a really long time, but their quality doesn't seem to be what it used to be, and the MTP ones come with a ridiculous price tag. If you run a lot of power using accessories, a battery isolator & a deep cycle battery are the way to go (IMO, like an RV or boat).

Odysseys are my choice.

I have them in my 28 ft boat and cars.

Not going back to JC, East Penn or Deka.

The pc-1500 in my titan is 11 years old and still takes a full charge, and is showing no signs of aging out.

The little 21ft boat has optimas and Im always fighting to keep them alive. They dump out at 5-7 years max, and Have had failures at 3.

UD

The majority of replacement car batteries on the market are made by Clarios (formerly Johnson Controls) with Exide and East Penn/Deka a distant second and third. So it's best to buy on price and warranty rather than the brand, with that it's hard to beat the value of the Kirkland labelled batteries at Costco. I'd also check with Sam's Club or BJ's if you have one in the area.

BJ's or Costco. While BJ's you don't exactly need to have a membership to buy their batteries.

Get a warranty replacement. If that is not possible, go to Walmart and get an EverStart. They have the best prices and long warranty and there is a Walmart everywhere across the USA if you need a replacement.

You should find out if the specs call for an agm battery or a flooded cell battery. The charging profiles on cars are optimized for one or the other. Using the wrong type battery can lead to charging system issues.

Should come with a warranty:

As per consumerreports

Autocraft Gold 51R-2 car battery. This recommended model has been tested by our experts. It has excellent life and very good cold cranking scores, but average reserve capacity. It comes with an 36 month free replacement warranty.

Back