Battery, Alternator, or Starter?

Thanks for the suggestions. I did this testing in about 4 minutes while at home for lunch. I'll do more thorough testing after work.

Leaning back towards starter now. The 700 milliamp draw I was detecting earlier might have been from the door being open and it still has an incandescent bulb in the door. Battery tested over 800 CCA with a heaterbox style tester holding the button for 10-12 seconds. Car running with stereo, heated seats, and headlights on voltage still measures 14.2v. After testing the battery I tried to start it and got absolutely nothing. No clicks or revs. Waited 10 seconds and tried again, nothing. Waited 10 more seconds and it started right up without hesitation. Starter right??

Grab a test light to ensure the starter is getting a signal. After that’s verified, and you’re sure battery is sufficient, yes, sounds like the starter is going out. If the signal is there, you can either keep cycling the key till it does work and start, or tap it with a hammer if accessible and it’ll likely crank.

Last edited:
Just went on a 30 min drive to and from to get my daughter. Got home, turned off the car and I'm measuring 900mA draw again with my clamp. All doors closed and no interior lights or anything on. I'm going to give it 10-15 min to make sure it's not computer related or anything. I'll check in after that.

Okay so already the draw went from 900mA to 50mA. So that's good. I think parasitic draw, battery, and alternator are ruled out. I think I have it narrowed down to starter or maybe bad ground/connection to the starter?

A 12.4v battery will start a vehicle, or at least crank it. A failed alternator may lead to an undercharged battery but not an intermittent start condition as described.
Sulfated battery reads correct voltage but has low amperage. A trip to Autozone for load check and alt output test first...

Sulfated battery reads correct voltage but has low amperage. A trip to Autozone for load check and alt output test first...
Certainly possible. Maybe I should not have assumed that the OP had performed a battery test before posting on here.

I'm afraid it's parasitic draw. In my work clothes I did some quick tests while home at lunch. Voltage at 14.5 when car running however forgot to load it with accessories to see if it held up above 13.5v. As soon as I took it off the charger and watched the multimeter, I could slowly see the voltage drop off. Hooked up an Amp clamp and it's drawing 700mA with nothing turned on. Also, here is the video of the voltage on a startup sequence. https://photos.app.goo.gl/rYzHKKREqeh9e9kU7

View attachment 49555
Give the vehicle at least 15 min for the computer to shut down before testing for a parasitic draw.

Ok guys, I tested again for sanity sake and the van does seem to draw 700-900mA after it's shut off for about 5 minutes. After that it goes to a very normal 50mA.

For those suggesting a load test... I did, read a few posts of mine back. Measured over 800CCA. Also, when the 900mA draw stops after 5 minutes, the battery voltage climbs to nearly 12.8v I am 100% sure about the battery, alternator, and parasitic draw not being the issue. Also checked and no AC voltage when running so diodes are good in the alternator.

I agree with the starter connection/solenoid being the issue. Can the solenoid be replaced by the end user without any special tools?

First thing I would do is examine all the cables and their connections... clean the clamps and battery terminals, look for corroded or damaged cables, torque the cable connections, etc.

Battery terminals are clean, I checked the starter and solenoid cable and they are under a protective boot and look very clean once removed. The spade connector seemed tight enough and so was the main starter cable bolt. Anything else like a relay and sorts that I need to check before I pick up a starter tomorrow?

As someone else suggested, put a test light or meter on the small wire at the starter and have someone turn the key. That will show that all the relays etc in the car are working. Another starter test is to jump the small wire terminal to battery + which should make it unconditionally turn (so be sure the key is off and transmission is not in gear).

The battery terminals are such a common problem and so important to this I'd do more than just look at them-- disconnect both, clean the contact surfaces and reattach securely.

Beyond the battery, all these safeties and relays are confirmed working (at least at the time) by checking that the starter is getting a signal to crank. If you get the signal, at least at that time the neutral safety switch is ok / shift lever selection is accurate / relay(s) are working etc.

Its likely either the solenoid, or the relay which drives it. Solenoid makes a bigger click, relay makes a really really light click, as heard from inside the vehicle. You can jumper the relay terminals and see if that bumps the starter, or maybe swap the relay with another if its the same size.

battery resting at 12.4 is fine. Battery coming down from 14 to 12.6 at turnoff is fine, the electronics stay awake for a while.

m

I'm off today and would like to figure it out while I can work on it. I assume the relay is cheap and replaceable in 2 min?

Found the location. Pulled the relay and it rattles a little. Should they do that? In the process of testing the relay as we speak.
1615900830028.jpg

Last edited:
Relay appears fine. Applying 12v to the brass contacts gives continuity to the copper colored ones. Suppose it wouldn't hurt to replace it anyway since it's $7

Check relay by substitution. There are other relays of the same type in the box that do something that's not as important, so swap them.

Back