Bar oil VOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Truckedup
Originally Posted By: Linctex
I've used nothing but used motor oil for years.

The thick, black used diesel oil "sticks" to the chain the best, but makes a horrid black mess out of everything.

I used mostly used 5W-20, which "runs through" a little fast, but I don't mind the chain getting a little over-lubed.

Would you pour used motor oil on the ground ? That's is what you are doing...I know it not all that much... but.....

Tractor Supply sells bar oil for 8 bucks a gallon...That pretty inexpensive actually ..A gallon is more than enough for me to cut about 12-15 face cord for heating my house....

You are pouring the new bar oil on the ground as well, clean or not it will pollute too. At least the used oil is being REused.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner

You are pouring the new bar oil on the ground as well, clean or not it will pollute too. At least the used oil is being REused.

Ok, there's no difference between fresh bar oil and used motor oil in what's contained in the oil? Do you know if bar oil is just base oil or had additives or perhaps is just minimally cleaned used oil ?

Originally Posted By: Truckedup

Ok, there's no difference between fresh bar oil and used motor oil in what's contained in the oil? Do you know if bar oil is just base oil or had additives or perhaps is just minimally cleaned used oil ?

No idea what is in bar chain oil, only that it is a petroleum product, hence the post to find out.

Last edited:
Quote:
No idea what is in bar chain oil, only that it is a petroleum product, hence the post to find out.

Nope, not always a mineral base.

Quote:

Yes, there is a BIG difference, see recipe below.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

What you want is a 30 grade oil with a bit of ZDDP AW and cling.

What was it that wasn't answered above?

ZDDP is the phosphor/zinc/sulfur ester additive which is an anti-wear, and the other additive is the Tackifier for cling.

Typical Recipe:
Virgin 30 grade paraffinic mineral oil, or 30 Grade paraffinic "Wash" oil.
125 ppm of Tackifier
500 ppm of ZDDP ester.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Anyone ever do a VOA on chainsaw bar lube? Be nice to know what is in it. I just use used motor oil for the past 25 yrs and it works fine. Just curious about it.

Used motor oil in a chainsaw creates a mist containing all kinds of contaminants. Not good for your health.
So true! I did not realize how much bar oil is possible to be breathing in until this past spring. See for yourself: LED headlamp(LED bulb type is important), run saw at night with light shining towards bar. The oil mist from the chain was shocking to me, motor oil(thinner, less clingy) seemed worse. I have a ran saws a good bit but never knew how much bar oil became air-borne mist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back