Baldwin BF1212 Fuel Filter

Likely so. One of the two filters was giving me a pressure drop. More than likely it was the secondary filter under the hood. But I always change both at the same time.
Is that the cartridge with the screen over it from your photos?

I should have pulled the media on the Mahle diesel filter I just cut apart. It looked to me to have that blackish color similar to the media photos that @wwillson has shown for his dmax. Im surprised your filter is as “tan” as it is…

Is that the cartridge with the screen over it from your photos?

I should have pulled the media on the Mahle diesel filter I just cut apart. It looked to me to have that blackish color similar to the media photos that @wwillson has shown for his dmax. Im surprised your filter is as “tan” as it is…
Yes, the under hood filter is the one with the screen, and again below. The screen is white on a new filter.

I'm not sure how long these cellulose filters will hold up. Both were approaching three years old, so age could have something to do with the drop in pressure.

To clarify, the pressure drop I experience when it's time to change filters is while under load. With a new / clean filter I will not see my fuel pressure gauge move from idle to WOT. When they're dirty / old I have seen up to a 5 psi drop under heavy load.

1000002909.jpg

Yes, the under hood filter is the one with the screen, and again below. The screen is white on a new filter.

I'm not sure how long these cellulose filters will hold up. Both were approaching three years old, so age could have something to do with the drop in pressure.

To clarify, the pressure drop I experience when it's time to change filters is while under load. With a new / clean filter I will not see my fuel pressure gauge move from idle to WOT. When they're dirty / old I have seen up to a 5 psi drop under heavy load.

View attachment 209270
Wow that screen is doing a good job then I think.

I don’t know how your system is set up, but if there is a lift pump with overflow valve that sets injection pump base pressure, this makes sense. The IP return can push more back to the tank than the lift pump can flow due to residual return pressure from the injectors.

But your system may be different. All the same, good to see that the screen is working well. Is it cleanable?

This is a 7.3 with hydraulic injectors. So the system is tank > primary filter > fuel pump > secondary filter > injectors.

There is a pressure regulator on the secondary filter housing with a return back to the tank. The screen is not serviceable. The entire filter is one piece and snaps into the fuel bowl that sits in the valley of the motor. The fuel bowl has a spring loaded shut off to prevent fuel flow w/o a filter. The fuel bowl also has a drain valve to drain off water when needed.

@JHZR2

Last edited:
Back