Bad speed sensor? Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are modern vehicles so hard to diagnose problems on? ::sigh:: Here's the story:

I posted awhile back about my Sedona having a weird 2-3 shift after the vehicle was started. It didn't matter if the vehicle was warm or cold. But it was always the first 2-3 shift, and never any subsequent ones. Basically the rpm's would jump and flutter a little, then it would drop down into gear. But it wouldn't always do this, just sometimes. Like 1 in 4 times, or so. Now it seems to be happening more often. But there is no apparent pattern... today on the way home from work, I made several stops. All 3 times, after starting the vehicle, the 2-3 shift was fine. No slips. But this morning it did it twice in a row after subsequent starts
confused2.gif

I had the dealer look for stored trouble codes, and they found none. I have a code reader also, and while not as good as the one the dealer uses, I could not find any stored codes either. The dealer said they could not replicate the problem last time, but I have an appointment with the dealer this Monday and I'm going to take the technician for a ride and try to replicate it myself. Hopefully, I can recreate the problem so he can see.

I'm worried because my warranty is up in less than 2,000 miles and I drive a lot, so I'll reach that mark in just over a month. Assuming the worst, that the dealer can't find anything wrong, is there anything wrong with me throwing a couple of new speed sensors on the transmission (one input, one output)? They are easy to replace, and at worst, I'd be out $90. I've read that a faulty speed sensor can cause rpm's to raise in between shifts.

What puzzles me more is that it only EVER happens on the first 2-3 shift after startup, and never again whilst the vehicle is running. I will mention again, as I did a few weeks ago, that I can feel a vibration in the gas pedal, traveling through the firewall, at around 18 mph after every time I start the car. Others have said that their car does something similar, and that it is the brake system completing a check. However, the KIA tech told me that the vehicle does this test right upon startup, and not while moving. He seemed quite rude and in a hurry to get me away, so who knows if that was the truth. Anyway, I mention the brake check because maybe something there is interfering with the 2-3 shift in close proximity, causing the shift programming to get confused for a second. The van does have a DBW throttle system, too.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this odd shift sometimes? Otherwise the vehicle shifts great. It gets into final gear at like 37 mph and upshifts and downshifts fine. Remember, no trouble codes or CELs are showing up.

Last edited:
It sounds like shift flare to me, probably happening on the first shift because you have a leaky accumulator giving low pressure.

I'd also want this documented for warranty, but this is also pretty common on a lot of transmissions. Have you had the fluid replaced?

Originally Posted By: bepperb
It sounds like shift flare to me, probably happening on the first shift because you have a leaky accumulator giving low pressure.

I'd also want this documented for warranty, but this is also pretty common on a lot of transmissions. Have you had the fluid replaced?

Fluid is fresh. I did 2 drain and fills right after I bought it 2 months ago. The dealer also said the fluid was not an issue and was clean. I have it documented from last time. Basically the write up says that they could not replicate the issue, but that they did try and that I raised concern over the matter. Fwiw, my old focus did this too. Many people also said it was some sort of internal leakage. It did this for a year before I sold it, never got worse or better, but the trans was otherwise perfect.

It's acting like our Elantra before the re-flash. Ours had a 2-3 shift flare that was far more pronounced when cold. It took at least 20 miles of driving to warm the trans enough to make the flare not as noticeable. Sometimes it was worse than others by the way... For instance, there were a few times times that it would "hang" between gears for a considerable amount of time before engaging 3rd. The worst of them were always on a cold tranny. Looked mine up and there was a TSB, so I made an appt. for the updated PCM software and it's been much better since.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
It's acting like our Elantra before the re-flash. Ours had a 2-3 shift flare that was far more pronounced when cold. It took at least 20 miles of driving to warm the trans enough to make the flare not as noticeable. Sometimes it was worse than others by the way... For instance, there were a few times times that it would "hang" between gears for a considerable amount of time before engaging 3rd. The worst of them were always on a cold tranny. Looked mine up and there was a TSB, so I made an appt. for the updated PCM software and it's been much better since.

Where would I look up tsb's for my Sedona?

bring it in asap and document it
Also if the stealer plays games and says there is nothing wrong call your local lemon law attorney they know how to make the car companies sing!
Do it asap!

There is youtube video by somebody named Schrodingers Cat (spelling?) He had a issue with his Camaro which was extremely difficult to track down but turned out to be bad speed sensor (I think). The guy is real rocket scientist with PhD and does the wrenching on the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back