Bad News For Rivian

The EV fans do not want to hear this. Their refrain repeats itself over and over again: Just charge it overnight in your garage. As if that will solve the problem for everyone, even those without a garage of those that need to take their car on the road overnight or on very long trips.

If they ever get to the point when 5 minute charging is available in as many places as gasoline filling stations are now, then and only then will EVs take over the world, or at least the USA.
Uh, no. EV owners know all about charging. The 1st thing I ask perspective customers is, "How ya gonna charge?"
EVs are not for everyone, no one vehicle is.

And, China is building multiple coal plants every single week in order to have a grid that could support it. It’s hardly a “green” solution, but it certainly does offer near-complete control of all vehicles dependent on the charging system…
You are correct I believe two new cosl power plants come online every week in China.
With that said let’s acknowledge that in the last 10 years, they had 37 nuclear power plants come online and 22 under construction and another 70 planned where the United States has added two in ten years.. I mean, we are really on the ball here in the United States. 😂

How get more people to buy? Just make recharging as fast or nearly as fast as filling a gas car. Like maybe 5 minutes tops. You might need a 5,000 volt system, but the engineers can figure that out in due time.
Be too cheap to meter right?

You are correct I believe two new cosl power plants come online every week in China.
With that said let’s acknowledge that in the last 10 years, they had 37 nuclear power plants come online and 22 under construction and another 70 planned where the United States has added two in ten years.. I mean, we are really on the ball here in the United States. 😂
It's sad how we've ignored nuclear power. It's near sickening.

The EV push is like reusable toilet paper 🧻. It's a great idea on pen and paper but from an Orwell 1984 standpoint, it's got some issues. Fuel is much easier to transport and can't be shutdown cept for a emp. I can cook with Fuel or CNG, and oil production keeps many people with a job. I've heard of more fires 🔥 from an EV vehicle than all cars combined it seems plus it takes more resources to put out a EV car that has caught fire. Currently at almost 330,000 miles, waiting for a EV to go that long. I like the idea but it's not for everyone, most everyone that is.

Sure, you own a garage.
A lot of people do. If we want ICE to continue with the current CAFE requirements we should be hoping those that can charge at home buy EVs. It doesn't take a garage at home to charge, but that is a place that could have power.

Not mine, I rust proofed the hell out of it, not one bit of rust on it. Same goes for my 88 E-150, and my 2016 JKR. Most people are not like us Bitog diehards, I take care of my stuff.
That's always been my point about this site. We're at the extreme end of care. That's why I thought the getting stranded with an EV stuff was an odd argument here. Even in bad cases we all take way too much care of our vehicles to not know how to handle the situation. It might be inconvenient in certain scenarios, but we'll know how to not get stuck.

The EV push is like reusable toilet paper 🧻. It's a great idea on pen and paper but from an Orwell 1984 standpoint, it's got some issues. Fuel is much easier to transport and can't be shutdown cept for a emp. I can cook with Fuel or CNG, and oil production keeps many people with a job. I've heard of more fires 🔥 from an EV vehicle than all cars combined it seems plus it takes more resources to put out a EV car that has caught fire. Currently at almost 330,000 miles, waiting for a EV to go that long. I like the idea but it's not for everyone, most everyone that is.
I don't recall having a power outage longer than a few hours over the last decade but my whole region ran out of gas for a couple of days once and it was almost impossible to get any for about a week. Weather issues caused that but the electrical supply remained stable.

So you need it to be guaranteed 5 times over any product you've had in your life? It was slightly ridiculous but understandable up until unlimited battery warranty and guaranteed power rates. Fine I want an unlimited powertrain warranty, free fuel pumps for life, and a guaranteed $2 a gallon fuel or all you can suck a tail pipe! I'm sorry, but that's what your complaint sounds like.

Moving. Goal. Posts. Daily!

There is nothing wrong with asking for a "lifetime" and by that I mean a limited lifetime eg as long as it is owned by the original purchaser or 20 years transferable. that would insure that new owners and used owners would not suffer a financially catastrophic basically a car totaling expense when buying a used car. I know the stawman arguments "well a gas engine can fail too" and "Tesla batteries are good for all these miles and years" fine prove it by backing up the product. Musk wont even repair defects choosing instead to blame the customer even on a brand new car. Almost any gas or diesel engine can be repaired and the cost cost of the repair can be shopped but to replace thousands of battery cells is not happening.

A battery no matter the type and how much it is cooled has a finite lifespan, the day it was made it began to degrade. Ev's have not be around all that long and when that shoe drops it is not going to be pretty.
As far as electric rates go, if everyone went EV like these lunatics want and doing everything in their power to make it happen including CAFE which is the goal in the elimination gas/diesel vehicles these electric companies without strong price controls and regulation will have open license to charge whatever they want and IMO if anyone believes otherwise they are living in fantasy land along with Walt
Disney.

There is nothing wrong with asking for a "lifetime" and by that I mean a limited lifetime eg as long as it is owned by the original purchaser or 20 years transferable. that would insure that new owners and used owners would not suffer a financially catastrophic basically a car totaling expense when buying a used car. I know the stawman arguments "well a gas engine can fail too" and "Tesla batteries are good for all these miles and years" fine prove it by backing up the product. Musk wont even repair defects choosing instead to blame the customer even on a brand new car. Almost any gas or diesel engine can be repaired and the cost cost of the repair can be shopped but to replace thousands of battery cells is not happening.

A battery no matter the type and how much it is cooled has a finite lifespan, the day it was made it began to degrade. Ev's have not be around all that long and when that shoe drops it is not going to be pretty.
As far as electric rates go, if everyone went EV like these lunatics want and doing everything in their power to make it happen including CAFE which is the goal in the elimination gas/diesel vehicles these electric companies without strong price controls and regulation will have open license to charge whatever they want and IMO if anyone believes otherwise they are living in fantasy land along with Walt
Disney.
Tesla battery warranties start at 8 years or 100K miles to have 70% retention; the more expensive cars are higher.
For real world Tesla battery statistics, here is a recent study.

I agree, EVs are in their infancy as mass produced vehicles. I also strongly agree there are some horrible electric companies; PG&E has a monopoly here and takes advantage of it, while burning down our forests and blowing up our cities. That was a key reason I installed solar.

One of the issues that none of the Domestic and European EV makers like to talk about is how fast and how much cheaper China is cranking out EVs and ICE vehicles.

China has already flooded Europe with both, and it's a matter of time until they get a foothold in the US market.

And China is also a major EV battery manufacturer. From a business perspective, things aren't working out for US manufacturers as well as they hoped. Never mind that we don't have the infrastructure and resources to support the EV Fantasy.

I think that in the end EVs will stick around, but mass adoption will never happen.
We’re too stupid to support our home industries, so they’re gone. That’s not even an EV concept - I state that in the tool time area too.

We’ve all been turned into pawns in a Trojan horse situation.

EV has some utility. The folks polarizing it in either direction don’t help. In the path to electrification, more time improving the tech in hybrids should have been the focus. Instead of the virtue signal.

Right now here is the global reality.

#1 Best selling and most profitable SUV on the planet - Tesla Model Y

#1 Most profitable car on the planet - Tesla Model 3

Certain EVs are dominant. Others not so much.

I do believe Tesla has been massively mismanaged over the last several years when it comes to their product cycle. I wouldn't be surprised if they become a $70 stock.

The funny thing it's also obvious that most of Western Europe and certain densely populated Asian areas of our planet are better off with EVs than ICE vehicles.

They drive less. They have shorter commutes. They have fewer regulations (and lawyers). I would also argue that energy independence is more important for most of these countries than it is in the USA.

Yet Tesla is still the most profitable company on the planet. That tells me two things. First, that the USA is uniquely capable of creating premium products with global appeal. Second, their extreme cost advantage in the marketplace will allow them to continue the path if they get their product development in gear.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
check the resale on that Tesla or other electric car. Pathetic. worse even than a Kia with the theta engine. When replaceing the battery costs 75% of the value of the car (being nice here) guess what does not happen.

They are so heavy, tire wear and cost are an issue.

They may have to restrict the number or vehicles in parking garages. Take away 50% of the spaces in NY and see what happens.

They simply are not ready. sad thing is they are destroying the environment.

Hydrogen is an answer, except for leaks and Hydrogen embrittlement of many metals.

I do not trust the chinese to make electronics that are reliable for 10 years.

Rod

check the resale on that Tesla or other electric car. Pathetic. worse even than a Kia with the theta engine. When replaceing the battery costs 75% of the value of the car (being nice here) guess what does not happen.
Have some proof? For a friend…

The weight thing is laughable. All cars have gotten heavier. And with the focus on truck and SUVs, which face all the same issues… so what? No small car is that small anymore. And that’s not unique to EV.

Back