Bad News For Rivian

Have some proof? For a friend…

The weight thing is laughable. All cars have gotten heavier. And with the focus on truck and SUVs, which face all the same issues… so what? No small car is that small anymore. And that’s not unique to EV.
I just had this conversation with a coworker today. He has an HD Ram for his 5th wheel, but his commuter is a Mk4 Golf TDI. He’s looking for its replacement now. He said it was shocking how much bigger my MK7.5 Golf GTI is than his car.

He is leaning toward the Integra Type S which is even bigger than my car. It’s the market as you said. The new GTI is bigger than mine.

The fact is cars just keep getting more expensive and I think the average buyer wants more when it costs so much and it needs to do everything. It makes sense, but it’s almost a self fulfilling prophecy. I don’t honestly know what’s next for me. I always look just because I’m interested in cars and I’m starting to think the next one won’t exactly be small. I’d also be more likely to buy the Integra than the GTI. It’s not the size, the Integra in my opinion is the better car of the two new models.

I just had this conversation with a coworker today. He has an HD Ram for his 5th wheel, but his commuter is a Mk4 Golf TDI. He’s looking for its replacement now. He said it was shocking how much bigger my MK7.5 Golf GTI is than his car.

He is leaning toward the Integra Type S which is even bigger than my car. It’s the market as you said. The new GTI is bigger than mine.

The fact is cars just keep getting more expensive and I think the average buyer wants more when it costs so much and it needs to do everything. It makes sense, but it’s almost a self fulfilling prophecy. I don’t honestly know what’s next for me. I always look just because I’m interested in cars and I’m starting to think the next one won’t exactly be small. I’d also be more likely to buy the Integra than the GTI. It’s not the size, the Integra in my opinion is the better car of the two new models.

The Integra is also a lot more expensive than the GTI. But agree, it should be a great car.

….

Yet Tesla is still the most profitable company on the planet. That tells me two things. …tell.
huh?
Where did you come up with this????
You couldn’t be more wrong. This statement is so inaccurate that I can actually keep my post short.
Tesla is nowhere close to being the most profitable company on the planet.

Last edited:
huh?
Where did you come up with this????
You couldn’t be more wrong. This statement is so inaccurate that I can actually keep my post short.
Tesla is nowhere close to being the most profitable company on the planet.

I was referring to automotive companies, which they are based on gross margin %.

Dont worry with the 500% gas tax/price increase coming everyone will finally want EV's /sarcasm.

I want an EV. Give me something around 25k-30k that isnt a pile.. and goes 250miles on the highway.
Would make a good second vehicle.... not primary of course.

Only a limited amount of people want or can spend 60k 75k on a vehicle.

I could actually get by with a tesla model Y for 95% of my use but of course the one you want is 50k even with the 7500 "credit" no thanks. I wouldn't mind it as a toy car.. but who wants to own one for 10 years?.. and you cant buy at end of lease... would have to get tire/wheel protection too in ohio... 21" wheels.

Last edited:
I was referring to automotive companies, which they are based on gross margin %.
I figured it must be something like this. It’s just that you left the word automotive companies out and gross margin percent.

With that said then you get into the messy business of what set of numbers one wants to use. I’m sure you know all this, a big one would be revenue.
It’s a slippery slope, using numbers such as gross margin percent.

Revenue is a key indicator and Tesla. doesn’t even make the top 10.
No doubt Tesla was a successful company for two years, but those were the only strong profit years in its 15 year history and only the last 2 years, this year it’s going backwards.
I have nothing against Tesla. Except its stock was widely overvalued and used as a day trading stock. As it comes down to earth which I would place a value today of around $45 a share would be fair.
I’m not saying it will go down to that price. I’m just saying that would put it in the fair price earnings ratio and I think more than fair since it’s outlook is looking sketchy at best at the present time and I STRESS present time.

Last edited:
I figured it must be something like this. It’s just that you left the word automotive companies out and gross margin percent.

With that said then you get into the messy business of what set of numbers one wants to use. I’m sure you know all this, a big one would be revenue.
It’s a slippery slope, using numbers such as gross margin percent.

Revenue is a key indicator and Tesla. doesn’t even make the top 10.

No doubt Tesla was a successful company for two years, but those were the only strong profit years in its 15 year history and only the last 2 years, this year it’s going backwards.
I have nothing against Tesla. Except its stock was widely overvalued and used as a day trading stock. As it comes down to earth which I would place a value today of around $45 a share would be fair.
I’m not saying it will go down to that price. I’m just saying that would put it in the fair price earnings ratio and I think more than fair since it’s outlook is looking sketchy at best at the present time and I STRESS present time.

AG, respectfully margins are a critical measure of business performance; margins tell you the return on investment. Are you making a nickel or losing a nickel? Revenue is simply a measure of sales. Take the Bolt for example. Chevy generated a lot of revenue on Bolts and lost money (negative margin) on every one. Likewise, Tesla generated revenue but was in the red for years, until about 2018 or so I believe.

I could be convinced to buy a Bolt EUV-sell the aging xB, put a solar array up to charge it, use it for short trips around town. But, the bus would sure be cheaper!

I was saying it was madness and couldn't scale all along. This is just one of the details of that reality. Tesla is (was?) a bubble though, valuation made no sense given that it can't scale in the near term because reasons (not going to rehash them all).

What's going to happen with all the government mandates and banning of ICE vehicles by twenty-thirty-something in California and certain European countries?
Perhaps EV will be more useful in population dense areas where air quality is a challenge … chargers are abundant …
No doubt we can produce electricity by cleaner and cleaner methods … Having said that, the open road long hauler is another story …
and just too much money tossed at a huge network for EV … limited users

5 pages of back and forth lol.

Battery tech is still in its infancy, as are multiple energies. And what is next? Nobody really knows. My bet is fusion. I still say that in 100 years most transportation will be fusion powered, even if it's just fusion providing electricity to charge batteries.

And plastic pistols will never catch on........

Back