Bad News For Rivian

I have a lifetime powertrain warranty. The catch is I have to bring it to Jeep every 5 years for an inspection. So far they haven't had to do any repairs to it in the almost 16 years I have it. They did three inspections now. $2/gallon gas that might be a little tough though.
Heck I'd be in for the unlimited powertrain. I was of course screwing around, but I thought that was all some loophole gimmick stuff.

I have a lifetime powertrain warranty. The catch is I have to bring it to Jeep every 5 years for an inspection. So far they haven't had to do any repairs to it in the almost 16 years I have it. They did three inspections now. $2/gallon gas that might be a little tough though.
Isn't rust going to take out the vehicle before anything serious mechanical issues could occur?

Ones that are a heck of a lot smaller than than the ones you EV guys are wearing that's for sure. Hey stop, I cant say what I want to about what I really think of you EV guys so I will leave it at that.
Safe to say you haven't got a clue. He has a point though. If you haven't taken some time to learn what it's about you're not speaking from a point of education on this. You're going off a few bits of information and some complaints from people. I've never been an EV or nothing person. There's even categories I would choose ICE over EV with. But I'm just one of those EV guys to you. I get if you're not buying one for yourself, but that's where your qualifications on EVs end. Sorry if I have trouble finding any respect for your opinion.

JK IMO you live in lala land with rose colored glasses and have no concept of any sort of reality, there is no discussion with you, you only see things one way, your way. JMO
Well, I appreciate your candor. Likewise, I am not sure you are open to ideas other than your own, at least that's my perception.
I have said many times I know I live in a special, unique place. Silicon Valley is far different than most of CA and the world beyond.
This is a magical place with unlimited opportunity, even for someone who has made as many mistakes as I have. I love it here.

As far as your concept of reality statement, well that's just plain silly. JMO.

I have seen Franks cars and van, they are mint and he drives them.
Mine too.
1713552037556.jpg

Chinese auto makers are key here. EV is an hair dryer. Basically, anyone can make it. 90% less moving parts means that novice auto makers can crank out cheap cars of mediocre quality fast. At that price, no one cares about gaps in panels, brakes that catch fire at 160mph, etc.
VW boss said this 3yrs ago. If European manufacturers don’t push 20,000 euro EV’s that can do same as 20,000 euros ICE, they will be in trouble.

You said it yourself, but keep in mind we're continuously getting more renewables and battery technology is improving. Whether that crossover in tech happens in 5 years, 25 years, or 50 years has yet to be seen. We're definitely on a path to make that happen.

The one that is odd to me is the utter distain for the idea from some people. I know everything is political these days, but it seems at one time more people were of the mindset of seeing where technology goes. Nowadays we're lamenting the death of loved pieces of transportation. The auto buyer has always been slow to accept changes. Heck even I struggle accepting redesigns at times. These days it's something about a V8 no longer being available and that saying "there's no replacement for displacement" really isn't true at all.
Part of my dislike is that vehicles are so clean if politicians had a clue they'd lighten up. I was an emissions Inspector and station manager and it irked me to no end when a vehicle would barely fail or pass without a component and they'd be told sorry. Second for me sound is a big part of vehicle culture and identity. In high school I worked at a retirement home. The rec center around the corner had a guy who would park his Ferrari Testarossa. I could pick it out in traffic. Many of my co-workers asked how I knew what it was by the sound. A flat 12 has a very unique sound as it's not a common engine design.

How get more people to buy? Just make recharging as fast or nearly as fast as filling a gas car. Like maybe 5 minutes tops. You might need a 5,000 volt system, but the engineers can figure that out in due time.
The EV fans do not want to hear this. Their refrain repeats itself over and over again: Just charge it overnight in your garage. As if that will solve the problem for everyone, even those without a garage of those that need to take their car on the road overnight or on very long trips.

If they ever get to the point when 5 minute charging is available in as many places as gasoline filling stations are now, then and only then will EVs take over the world, or at least the USA.

Might be a side note to this conversation but since I sell to many of the players in the EV market I do have a little insight to their operations. Rivian is and has been a sheet show since they started. They higher and fire employees willy nilly. Their purchasing teams are a real mess, I don't think I've dealt with the same person more than twice.

I sell to and watch the fleet and commercial EV markets especially. That is the winner market for now.

My point in all this is maybe it isn't always the product that is the issue, but the leadership of the company running it haphazardly into the ground.

Part of my dislike is that vehicles are so clean if politicians had a clue they'd lighten up. I was an emissions Inspector and station manager and it irked me to no end when a vehicle would barely fail or pass without a component and they'd be told sorry. Second for me sound is a big part of vehicle culture and identity. In high school I worked at a retirement home. The rec center around the corner had a guy who would park his Ferrari Testarossa. I could pick it out in traffic. Many of my co-workers asked how I knew what it was by the sound. A flat 12 has a very unique sound as it's not a common engine design.
Quiet is an experience also. I love the sound of a Ferrari. Modern Ferrari’s don’t sound like old Ferrari’s though. The flat 12 is a big reason. Low production specialty cars will always exist in some form. It’s the average daily that will go EV. Those that don’t give a flying crap about what a car sounds like won’t care if it’s the right price.

Emissions didn’t clean up by lightening standards. That’s the trade off for internal combustion.

The EV fans do not want to hear this. Their refrain repeats itself over and over again: Just charge it overnight in your garage. As if that will solve the problem for everyone, even those without a garage of those that need to take their car on the road overnight or on very long trips.

If they ever get to the point when 5 minute charging is available in as many places as gasoline filling stations are now, then and only then will EVs take over the world, or at least the USA.
Because it’s this simple. It could be free and fill in 5 minutes or cost me $8 in my garage and not have to go anywhere and I’d pay to charge at home. I don’t get that option with my VW.

Faster charging wouldn’t be a bad thing, but it’s worth putting into perspective. I’ve had the car 15 months now. It’s public charged 5 times now. What’s the point?

The problem is trying to communicate an experience to someone who thinks they know how it all works and generally doesn’t have a clue. That’s not an attack or insult. I was right where you are a few years back. I’d even say I love EVs but I just couldn’t have one for similar reasons. I was wrong. If you had the same experience you’d see why you’d be wrong too. You wouldn’t want to do the fast charge unless you had to if you care about taking care of your vehicles.

It’s just better to charge when the car is going to sit anyway. I wish my VW could slowly fill its tank overnight. I probably wouldn’t have to stop at a gas station but once every 3-4 months.

He lives on Long Island, NY that is a huge difference.
You got that right, potholes and road salt, that makes a big difference. Oh yea and the ocean, IIRC Long Island is just that an island, in salt water. ;)

He lives on Long Island, NY that is a huge difference.
Sure. My father in law bought the 4-4-2 in '65 when he was looking for a family sedan. 97K original miles, almost always garaged. This is one of the most original copies left, I'm sure.

I replaced the heater core when I got it. Horrible job. It leaked soon after. Turns out the nipple on the intake manifold is supposed to have a restrictor in it. I can't find one. I don't wanna do that heater core again.

When he got cancer and was near the end, I told him I would take care of his beloved Oldsey. He seemed relieved.
Interestingly, I've had 3 cars from the Fremont plant, right up the road from here. 1965 Olds 4-4-2, 1993 Toyota 4WD PU and the Model 3.

1713558600836.jpg

Last edited:
Back