Bad news for my LS1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amkeer,
I wish I had done that, but it's hard though.....timing is everything. I couldn't even talk to the tech today....the shop wasn't open yet.

Pat,
That's a good idea! Need to convince my friend now
grin.gif
It does feel as good as before. On a rolling start from 10-15MPH, first gear is non-existent and still pulls hard up top.

Chris,
Did you say yours still slaps AFTER the rebuild?? Does it sound like the pistonslap.com clip? When did you rebuild yours (miles) How many miles now?

If it begins slapping again, I might go back for a new engine.....or I may not!

EDIT: Chris....did they replace any bearings on yours? It doesn't look like they replaced any on mine. I wonder if they transferred the rod bearings from the old ones to the new ones?

[ February 07, 2004, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

Mine does sound like the sound clip a bit but not nearly as loud and defind. On my rebuild they replaced the following:

I'm not sure what some of these are but these are typed how they read on my R/O.

1 gasket kit 89017251
8 piston 88984245
16 bolt 12568069
4 bolt 12560745
1 gasket 12558760
1 seal 12557752
10 bolt 12558840
16 bolt 11588291
8 ring kit 88984247
1 filter 88984215
6 oil 5w30Q
2 coolant 12346290
8 bearing 12493712

I have listened to a few more LS1's and they all has this "diesel" sound almost exactly as mine sounds. I'm thinking this noise is not the pistons and is something else . I hope it is not going to be a problem in the future. I still love this car and just the other night I killed another Eagle Talon! American Muscle rules!

Hey Chirs,
Thanks for the interest!
smile.gif
Well, the engine has almost 400 miles after the rebuild and yesterday and today I noticed or heard what seemed to be a very faint sound resembling the noise I used to have before. I don't know if it is the piston slap coming back or something else. Like I said though, it is very faint.
I will post my parts list tomorrow to compare.
Thanks

Rick

Chris,
I'm about to dump the oil and run Chevron Supreme with a bottle of ARX. I would like to try the M1 5W-40 that's coming out soon.

Which oil am I running now? Well, whatever they put in at the dealer. Most likely a 5W-30 and a good chance it's Mobil 1.
I was listening to the engine very closely today.....no noise whatsoever!

I don't know about the Auto RX??? Your engine is so new you don't need it. I would just keep using the M1 and then just start with the new M1 when it comes out.

Chris,
This engine has already gone through an ARX treat BFEORE the rebuild. It seemed to have done a very good job at removing break-in leftovers and contaminats. I'm doing this time around for the same reason. ARX will not harm the engine and has its uses in new and old vehicles alike. Good product, IMO!

Chris,
It almost has 500 miles since the rebuild and still no knocking. I'm fixing to take this engine where it has never been before.....that is total war (abuse
wink.gif
) I say, if it's gonnna blow up, then it will be now!
It is due or die!

Did I mention power is at least the same as before? It pulls VERY strong in any gear. Maybe a trip to the track is in order!
patriot.gif

[ February 16, 2004, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

Is yours an auto? My copper wear was cut by more then half on my uoa right after the rebuild. Are you going to do a uoa?

Chris,
It an M6! I do plan on doing a UOA, most likely on the ARX run, although Terry told me to save my money until the first OCI AFTER the ARX rinse cycle. I can't wait that long though!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back