Back feels weak and tired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Get some dumbbells (aka) bimbos and start doing back strengthening exercises.

cheers3.gif

banana2.gif

What does your daily routine consist of(work, exercise, etc.)?
You may have some serious issues and may need to see a doctor/chiropractor for a good checkup.

When I was younger, I had developed some back issues. Herniated/bulging discs, fractured vertebrae, arthritis in my lower back etc. Now, for the past 40 years, I exercise daily and focus on my legs & core/stomach/abs to keep them strong along with upper body strengthening. No power lifting, just stretching, cardio with some various weights along with walking, biking, inline skating etc. My wife and I can often walk for 3 hours during better weather.

Sitting is the new smoking!

I look at it this way. If I have a couple of hours to sit around, I have a couple of hours to workout. So, I choose to workout!

Here you go,,,there is a place called the USMC, you will get 3 meals a day,exercise,jumping and running, see the world, travel places and free meds, and 30 days vacation a year...I tried the USN. Had the best 4 years of my life...imho.

They don't want you at 28. You're too set in your ways. They prefer young meat because it's easier to train. Kids obey more readily.

NOTE: That was not an "anti-military" rap. I know some Red-White-and-Blue-and-Better-than-You kind of guy will nestle in his easy chair, pull the laptop closer and satisfy the need to "counter attack".

try yoga. I've been doing hot yoga for years. I am multiples of your age (and weight) and feel great.

Originally Posted By: Kira
They don't want you at 28. You're too set in your ways. They prefer young meat because it's easier to train. Kids obey more readily.

NOTE: That was not an "anti-military" rap. I know some Red-White-and-Blue-and-Better-than-You kind of guy will nestle in his easy chair, pull the laptop closer and satisfy the need to "counter attack".

try yoga. I've been doing hot yoga for years. I am multiples of your age (and weight) and feel great.

That's simply not true.

You make specious claims about the military, Kira, without any first hand experience. And your referral to "meat" is derogatory, despite your claim to the contrary.

In fact, the military will take a 28 year old, no problem, as long as the applicant meets physical standards, passes the criminal background check, has no history of drug use, and scores above the minimum on the ASVAB. Please note that over 75% of high school seniors cannot meet those standards. Even fewer young adults meet those standards.

But the USMC won't take the OP because he simply doesn't come close to meeting the USMC physical standards. For example, he has to be able to run three miles in 28:00 minutes. Most people on this board are incapable of that.

The OP is certainly incapable of that.

Given his posts, he won't be able to meet the minimum of 70 crunches in two minutes, or the 40 push-ups in two minutes, or the pull-ups (I think the minimum is only 5, but again, most people can't do 5 legitimate pull ups).

Further, in basic, he won't be able to carry his buddy, as required. At 120 lbs, the OP is simply too small.

Simply: joining the military to get in shape won't work.

You have to BE in shape to join. Particularly the USMC.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Marines do a crazy amount of daily PT.

Air Force basic training was easy... but they are NOT training to be a soldier or Marine.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Sitting in a chair is harder on your back than ditch digging.

Yes, spinal loading when sitting is about 3 to 4 times higher than when standing.

Sounds like I still have most of it in my early 50's
smile.gif

The three mile might be a bit tough today as I think I tore my meniscus last week, so I'm limited to light cycling and no running.

I could probably do 3 miles in under 10 minutes on my bicycle
smile.gif

Anyway, enough about me. I do agree with the recommendations to do more core and glute work to support the back.

I know after three day largely FOB with an ice pack on my knee, my back was sore from lying around and not moving.

Use it or lose it. It only gets worse as the years and decades are added on.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Kira

That's simply not true.

You make specious claims about the military, Kira, without any first hand experience. And your referral to "meat" is derogatory, despite your claim to the contrary.

In fact, the military will take a 28 year old, no problem, as long as the applicant meets physical standards, passes the criminal background check, has no history of drug use, and scores above the minimum on the ASVAB. Please note that over 75% of high school seniors cannot meet those standards. Even fewer young adults meet those standards.

But the USMC won't take the OP because he simply doesn't come close to meeting the USMC physical standards. For example, he has to be able to run three miles in 28:00 minutes. Most people on this board are incapable of that.

The OP is certainly incapable of that.

Given his posts, he won't be able to meet the minimum of 70 crunches in two minutes, or the 40 push-ups in two minutes, or the pull-ups (I think the minimum is only 5, but again, most people can't do 5 legitimate pull ups).

Further, in basic, he won't be able to carry his buddy, as required. At 120 lbs, the OP is simply too small.

Simply: joining the military to get in shape won't work.

You have to BE in shape to join. Particularly the USMC.

I had more back problems when they introduced the Sprinter Ambulances with a tail lift than the older Ambulances that had a Ferno 35A that you had to unload the old fashioned way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back