B12 and MMO run

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading some of the MMO and B12 Chemtool posts around here and with the excellent results these people are getting, I might try it on my truck.

Within the last 100 miles of my OCI I will dump B12 into the crankcase for a quick cleaning. At the end of the OCI I will change the oil and replace a qt of oil with MMO and run it for 3,000mi/3months.

I will be doing this on an engine that was fed M1 half of its life (about 4 years). Is this a good plan?

I think that's a good plan. I don't know much about B12, but I'd be more inclined to run it like a flush(idle for 15-20 minutes, then drain). If it's strong stuff, I wouldn't want to drive around with it. Should clean up whatever there is to clean though with that combination.

Why not skip the B12? Run a pint of MMO for the last 500 miles of the OCI, then do the 3 month 3000 mile deal with the qt of MMO. Just a thought.

The OP said: "this on an engine that was fed M1 half of its life (about 4 years). Is this a good plan?"

We don't know how many miles on the vehicle, or what was used the first half of its life. The OP wants to do some cleaning, nothing wrong with that.

I would run B12 in fuel, but not in the oil. It is a very strong solvent and I would be nervous about seal damage.
MMO would be fine in the oil.

Originally Posted By: cronk
I would run B12 in fuel, but not in the oil. It is a very strong solvent and I would be nervous about seal damage.

+1

Run a pint of MMO for the last 500 miles before you change the oil. It will do some good cleaning without being too harsh. Then change the oil, it should be noticeably darker when you drain it.

B12 is really strong. I think MMO is a much better product to use both in the oil and fuel. I was using MMO in my engine for the entire OCI adding 8 to 10 ounces at the beginning of a new OCI then another 8 to 10 ounce dose at 1500 miles into the OCI, but now I have changed my tactics. I don't think I need MMO in the engine all the time now, especially now that hot weather is here. I run a pint for the last 500 miles, and refill with only 4 quarts of oil at the new oil change. I run just oil until I get to 2500 miles into my OCI, then add a pint of MMO to the oil and start the cycle over again. My engine runs super smooth and quiet, it has good power and the MMO helps improve my MPG too.

MMO works great for me this way and my truck has never run better. I also add 2.5 ounces of MMO to every 10 gallons of fuel I buy. It took some experimentation to find the right dose for the fuel and the right methodology for using MMO in my oil. MMO is a great product.

I guess I'll skip the B12 and just use MMO. I would still like to add MMO (maybe about 16oz) at the last few miles of my OCI.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
I guess I'll skip the B12 and just use MMO. I would still like to add MMO (maybe about 16oz) at the last few miles of my OCI.

Good move, I'd give the MMO at least 500 miles at the end of the OCI. Then run the qt for 3000 miles. The plan is solid.

I only use the B12 as per the old instructions, flush only. I usually pour it in and let the vehicle idle for 15-20 minutes. Every time I have done it, the oil comes out very black and thin.

Ive used B12 a few times as an engine flush. DO this on a cold engine! 5 or 6 years ago, my 95 plymouth neon, i warmed up engine one day to do an oil flush. waited ma ybe 20 minutes, was still very hot, on a hot humid summer day. Poured berryman b12 in and immediatly heard, aluminum 'krinkling' noises coming frm the engine: { noting happened, but i knew that noise isnt good.
Ive used B12 and a popular brand of engine flush found at autozone(its just kerosine) and a NAPA brand. i found b12 to work no better than the kerosine stuff. I used mobil 1 5w30 for a few years, and eventually developed leaks in the rear main seal...so goes to show, mobil 1 did clean the enigne out pretty good!!! stopped using it, becuase of that too.
On the back of the B 12 can, it says somwhere....DO NOT drive car while B12 is in oil. Its basically toluene. And toluene a harsh paint thinner..does NOT belong in engine oil. ide def go with the MMO and do a lower cleaning at 500- 1,000 miles, or just use mobil 1.

I would not drive 100 miles with the B12 in the oil.
Like mentioned, a quick flush is all I could recommend, if at all.
But do you have a known problem? Are you just 'helping'?

+1

I put some in the Crankcase in my Vehicle, and now im getting all sorts of weird Smells in the Oil. Made it MUCH Thinner, too.

My Oil is -Black- after 1000 miles and even after 2.5 hour Highway trip, has SLIGHT Fuel smell. (This is why ive been asking.)

I myself picked up a Honda Passport, so its GM Engine. Isuzu, GM....

Ive gone over 1000 miles on one CAN B-12, and "12 oz." MMO and "10W-40."

I plan on changing in two weeks of a few hundred miles driving.

Did i push it too far? (High Miles)

Originally Posted By: LTrippett

+1

I put some in the Crankcase in my Vehicle, and now im getting all sorts of weird Smells in the Oil. Made it MUCH Thinner, too.

My Oil is -Black- after 1000 miles and even after 2.5 hour Highway trip, has SLIGHT Fuel smell. (This is why ive been asking.)

I myself picked up a Honda Passport, so its GM Engine. Isuzu, GM....

Ive gone over 1000 miles on one CAN B-12, and "12 oz." MMO and "10W-40."

I plan on changing in two weeks of a few hundred miles driving.

Did i push it too far? (High Miles)

I would have used one or the other product and followed the directions. At this point I would drain the oil if it were my car. JMO

Regarding adding mmo to the gas, is it better to add the right dose with a fuel up then do some around town drivin' or let your car run idle for a certain amount of time?

Add the MMO to the gas before filling up, and drive as you normally would drive. Many people, myself included add MMO to each fill up. HTH

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Add the MMO to the gas before filling up, and drive as you normally would drive. Many people, myself included add MMO to each fill up. HTH

I followed the advice posted somewhere, "Add 2oz. every 10 Gallons" and "Use Name-Brand Gas." (Came from either this post, or another one.) It seems to have made an improvement in Throttle Response. I can tell a difference, i suppose about as much as any Additive can make!

I was so encouraged with the results that i just picked up some SeaFoam and B12 Chemtool and added half a can of SeaFoam, and a quarter can of B12 and drove as normal, to try to do as much Fuel Cleaning as Possibe. I added a sall amount more MMO the day before, and i have 24 ounces of it left.

Is it OK to Gang up on my Fuel System with this alternating of Cleaners, or shall i change my Fuel Filter soon, am i counteracting anything?

(This is in the Gas, not the Oil. MMO can be in Both, it seems)

Got a 96 Thunderbird, its Fuel Injected, getting into Hi-Miles

I am no great authority on the subject but I personally would not run all those additives in the same tank of gas. B12 and Seafoam are pretty harsh when compared to MMO in the fuel.

You have to use MMO for a few tanks in succession to really notice and feel the full improvements from it. A really good way to start on MMO in the fuel is to run a good complete fuel system cleaner like Red Line SL-1 for a whole tank first, then start on the MMO in every fuel fill. Red Line is the best fuel treatment I have ever used. You may need to adjust your MMO dose to find the right amount to use in the fuel for the best performance and/or MPG. MMO recommends 4 oz to 10 gallons but for my own use, roughly 2.5 oz to each 10 gallons is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back