Avg times you wash your vehicle per month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I lived in Houston where there were lots of cloudy days and relatively soft water, about once a week.
Now, I live in the desert where the humidity runs anywhere from 2% to 20% with water that is hard as a brick.
Here, I use rinseless car washes about once every 2 months. I’m getting older and car washing isn’t that much fun anymore; in fact it’s a chore. The next round of cars will be much smaller: washing an Expedition and 4 door F150 are like a prison sentence.

Too old to wash our vehicle anymore so I gas up at station that has a car wash. Probably four or five times a year. Vehicles stay fairly clean here except in winter when the city and state put down that corrosive liquid goop or sand or both.

My car gets washed twice a month depending on weather. My wife's usually once a month.

Here are some interesting facts:

Sixty-two percent of car owners believe car appearance is essential. However, 53 percent wash their cars less than once a month - and 16 percent never wash their cars at all! To top it off, 61 percent of survey respondents admitted to leaving garbage in their cars, and 27 percent say their car stinks.

Last edited:
All vehicles as needed except for the 2016 Charger Scat Pack. It has never washed it because it has never been dirty. Only goes out in perfect weather. When I get home from a run, I vacuum the dust out of the engine compartment and then detail the road dust off the finish with a detail spray. About once per month it will get a full coat of Liquid Glass Polish.

Last edited:
Weekly average. Have done more than once in a week depending on weather or prior to doing another full detail.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
can we change that to per year?

also does heavy rain, regular rain and flash rain (hate the little splashers) count?

Rain does not count.

Roughly 3-4 times per month, depending on if it rains (ha, funny.. I'm in Phoenix) and how much dust is blowing around. Also depends on the birds. Usually works out to once a week or so. The heat also comes into play. Really sucks washing the car when it's 105F out and the sun's beating down on you, so if it's just dusty, I might skip a week or two. Also, sometimes I'll skip a wash and do a 'waterless wash' instead, if it's just dusty.

The past few weeks, my car's been getting bird bombed regularly, so I've had to do a couple extra washes.

Per month?? LOL! Maybe twice per year at best and that is at the drive through Shell or Hy VEE wash..gets washed and waxed. Have never hand waxed a car and probably never will. Usually I run it through the auto wash right before winter and right after winter. In the summer car wash is rain only.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: pandus13
can we change that to per year?

also does heavy rain, regular rain and flash rain (hate the little splashers) count?

Rain does not count.

Maybe sometimes...rain can count [on] cars...

Rain(man) counting car(d)s

I loved to wash and wax my old 65 buick convertible with lacquer paint.

These new things with clearcoat don't get waxed or washed ever. Unless I removed some tree sap.

many years ago with the new waterbourn paint with urethane clear, I waxed them with NUfinish or Mirror Glaze and it lasted maybe a month. So after I saw that ... NO MORE! ++

++ Well, Maybe If I'm selling it Ill do it that week
smile.gif

Last edited:
I never wash my Honda at all and my Corvette doesn't see rain so it never gets washed, just dusted off with a microfiber cloth and detailing spray. My wife's BMW gets run through the automatic wash about once a month.

So many here worry about oil minutia and then never clean their car. I'm fairly shocked.

What's the point of all the maintenance if your car looks like trash?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
So many here worry about oil minutia and then never clean their car. I'm fairly shocked.

What's the point of all the maintenance if your car looks like trash?

Pretty doesn't get you to your destination. My boss doesn't give a rip if my car looks good if I'm late to work. Detailing does very little for body longevity in my climate and nothing for the powertrain. My pickup gets washed every other month on average. Less often in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back