Average US vehicle age now 12.5 years

Yep-new tech phobia on here is rampant. Many newer vehicles are better than whatever you are driving from 2005.

Yep, but makes sense. I'm betting a large portion of BITOG users is older than 50. My grandparents are not tech savvy at all. They just got a Rav4 hybrid and I cringe seeing them try to use the thing packed to the brim with tech. My parents who are just hitting 60 are complete opposites. My father is an IT director, so very comfortable with tech, my mom would have crank windows if manufacturers still allowed it.

Reactions: Pew
Yep, but makes sense. I'm betting a large portion of BITOG users is older than 50. My grandparents are not tech savvy at all. They just got a Rav4 hybrid and I cringe seeing them try to use the thing packed to the brim with tech. My parents who are just hitting 60 are complete opposites. My father is an IT director, so very comfortable with tech, my mom would have crank windows if manufacturers still allowed it.
My folks are in their '80s and do *ok* with the auto tech stuff but it is funny...."KIDS NOW CAN'T WRITE CURSIVE!!!???" and then the 13 year old proceeds to show them how to turn on thier phone.

Ok stop it with the PHOBIA crap! Today everyone that doesn't like what someone else says, accuses them of being ****-Phobic. It's just another form of hate-speech and it's time that people started calling out the "Phobia" shouting bullies.

That said, you're right a new car today is "better" than a car built in 2005. But only because a 2005 year model car is 18 years older! If I could get one I would take a one year old 2005 car over the same model car built 2022/2023 every time. In the first place, a 2005 car was much cheaper than 2023 model cars, even allowing for inflation. Also reliability by itself isn't a accuarate measure of how good a car is; it's also about many other issues such as the complexity of the car and the ability of the owner being to troubleshoot and repair it themselves. Also the availability of service information and of repair parts. Anyone that's read this forum has heard of people that can't get critically needed parts such as Cali approved catalytic convertors for over 2 years! Add in the fact, that many drivers HATE the flat screen computer driven controls and all of the on-board Nanny systems and other obnoxious "features" such as the Kill-The-engine-at-every-stoplight.
I'm phobiaphobic :)

I’m not afraid of technology. I’m afraid of being stranded when the technology fails. I’m afraid of the repair bills as well.

If the vehicle continues to function when the tech fails then I can live with it, but if I were to be prevented from driving by the software because my lane departure warning isn’t working then I can’t even begin to imagine how infuriating that would be.

No one can afford a $700/month car payment. plus insurance, plus property tax/registration fees.

Just say NO to purchasing a new or used car.

I’m not afraid of technology. I’m afraid of being stranded when the technology fails. I’m afraid of the repair bills as well.

If the vehicle continues to function when the tech fails then I can live with it, but if I were to be prevented from driving by the software because my lane departure warning isn’t working then I can’t even begin to imagine how infuriating that would be.
I work in the tech field, and see a lot of failing technology. I'm more afraid of the idiot looking at their touch screen swerving into my lane and hitting me than I am the tech in the cars failing. I don't think the technology itself is bad or more failure prone, but I don't think there should be this much of it allowed in vehicles traveling mere feet from each other at 80 mph. Humans aren't perfect, programming isn't perfect.

Yeah, as long as the basic car functions work without all the fluff being operational, I guess I don't care.
HVAC, stop, go... I think this is still the case, with the exception of some cars needing a screen to function for HVAC.

The vast majority on here are over 50 years of age. Many 60 years of age.

Then you just turn that off. Almost all of this is defeatable or can be turned off.

I work in the tech field, and see a lot of failing technology. I'm more afraid of the idiot looking at their touch screen swerving into my lane and hitting me than I am the tech in the cars failing. I don't think the technology itself is bad or more failure prone, but I don't think there should be this much of it allowed in vehicles traveling mere feet from each other at 80 mph. Humans aren't perfect, programming isn't perfect.
I was in the RAID business. I didn't see a lot of failing technology. Of course, it was the ([possible) failing of data back up that fueled our business.....

Last edited:
Either way, I don't really want to sit in a car with that lackluster performing V6 and actually drive it reliable or not.
375 horsepower is "lack luster"?

Really???? I own one dude....it's anything but "lackluster". Another case of I have never driven one.....

And my wife's 295 horsepower Highlander isn't "lackluster" either.

Yea-could you imagine that new fangled ELECTROINC fuel injection verses the old carburetor with floats and valves? And carburetors were very trouble prone.

My gosh drivers back then must have been fear of being stranded.

Hold my beer (except I don't drink beer...). My Oldsey is a spry 58.
AJFCJaXrORgdyQENejep5hiudKgwYidyepaCTWdMjRI-8YKc_RHcpOAY1WZiQvpxCKthIzt2dBIVsmi05MVZAK6m5pLQ_xZmqoDSW_CCNCCIyjeWWzCqS8hbXZiUYSjoZfGsLU0uMDuXUBpl2JaGEVnHhsuxewMNy2K36Sqw-Wbakqv8s7q1TQBK8l4bHId2A5I6omCsysaSJVWdgYV_3kNT0IwuXufAbAH-y6qD8HSt1bQiNSRELCnoDqTi3JEYd5HeDZXMqSPbzyywAwg_BIblatgq-4r7wH3A1Mqq8bTXx3mqN4eneI4ynMKikjDHO60WJEgz8cEwF6afwZnp1PYYYB0a4IAjOZ_0oZS81v2xMIjO3sI9nj_uXEjunEh9-UDQYCU8pQgUEBZl81QVbumAiXTUZHOvY8Iio7CN9Y8ydvDNO242PVcW6iJrUitN9V9PZi62KBATJ-g45nYpbRv8C_Q6GYMJ2q9l4W__y_T_Ng7Aoqb_MDyZUfm5sCYdKD87yBJtGyPlYh1fREIC8e_m6uqLDBuFM3OUfnCuyREVuCXgCVhYxPhRV544dwhmNoldUTLjvBCcn4QpIlh4CBPhQJlvaPe5M7aIYNVcWexzirTgsZrqESSVeaegQjZf0N-VY-_OGq1BOVdXSRyhmMwbkYv3Y3mfL61JVxKS4ztM7ZtQ19AtunMeojyaoIGyhhYwX3bgLmdkVipxlkk6l1tY-u32gGt3xtDeFPezuDlMCR-KFGxnu3OTZGMyhO2QvjEMCV7Q2N6gGW2sG-cjCIiMJCzJcdQzz5UZfOmMne8XM7wpWMV9PkPx0jZfs0826NLpM_xh5Vu3b8cimCSmO7xoh5DqiJai-4w1e0wM_K7GgBaJrWOiQK6IStp28brE2tjVfKIVf2vFVaGHo_iQfLxVGwYPTg=w1306-h980-s-no

AJFCJaWd1kQ1Uxp1nv50BtdeqyBRa0TwebmLR52JqJ3VkC-EVX39wzq9y_S0PQFQtmc3vHsgFOyuSUr-ehPe3CNZ2RYmsY6xxjM2492aPbkVMzJaApSqcEKvj1cDBv8rU9j_LXenLgJdLV3DzUfeVQ6E4oudzTIKX92lWHq6yE_A2IHTpagWDB9ylNLZ_Cb0N0FJ5ta-dUD66KV-jgZYbMh6FuRlsO9Hz6dQ0q8uvyrtdVvxaP5zWvKk9Q_4qNWmPncS1ghUja3iHULXJFs8dS8nD3KWiTfyTnCoYcrNwPgNoohDKgtaFQcOJgt8kobT_Q8sjvOcYGuEpPNtbUXpKalMEOIpHXfGI1FQZ6Jo6KVnrhRiV5Kd-OxaAaG7fsKu_RZJMQZ-qlrR3KFPOuxaqJgQFZJZ9uyvpgXcKrUhLkcvwVSqHJyE8X5TuP3730c_-X7EFkNXv1wRfupaZSZMT4yQ6n6ru1Ekf7G2AJ-hwoq8cRdxytXIfmI92n94DufsPKnpf5PmSVrp08NBKgYm9R1cAYoKwL9TPcCnOEEmJ4nZ6ZfAK76u_ug_VHDvQ98vAHGJoVHCiKGVehj7ioLIx0gXtnVudqpjcriYzFulzB4mGqbkJlojv8Z29zqykfFi--ZeR0SZrKsdzVPbiMJp2v_iDok1KLTlh-ChuA0XjpZL_gGYPdvo9o6lfNzqj1XRBbHPtLPw26Aey_UI_kIxS-9mbdF1DGb6OqqwJWLVV2bzdfya150y3E20taHVl7UzMGoV0qNzxzo0FWda39OKa7jNVl1WwypA0p3I8bmHLU9ByMpL30RDuNnOFubUBVYu3zXd_uK5ZXPo0_A-vXq8hMXfgFtem4hPH5YrSkJvxas4aP06zy344sUtHZuJw-rZs2vd87aktLB5o3GWOc-ndB-05eLLTw=w1306-h980-s-no

375 horsepower is "lack luster"?

Really???? I own one dude....it's anything but "lackluster". Another case of I have never driven one.....

And my wife's 295 horsepower Highlander isn't "lackluster" either.
What car are you talking about here? Someone in the thread was talking about the 3800 GM NA V6s back in the day, those were good for about 200 hp...mabye...and I drove plenty of rentals back then with that engine....pretty gutless by today's standards.

What car are you talking about here? Someone in the thread was talking about the 3800 GM NA V6s back in the day, those were good for about 200 hp...mabye...and I drove plenty of rentals back then with that engine....pretty gutless by today's standards.
That would be my 2020 Ford F150. The (3.5) Eco-boost is rated for 375 horsepower.

Back