AutoZone Pricing Shenanigans

1665792964398.jpg

Rockauto is OOS on the driver side (SR4453), so this works out well - especially since AutoZone has a 20% off coupon right now. Makes the price identical to RA.

But these two sides are normally identical in price, so why is the driver side priced so much cheaper on AutoZone's site?

View attachment 121176

Rockauto is OOS on the driver side (SR4453), so this works out well - especially since AutoZone has a 20% off coupon right now. Makes the price identical to RA.

But these two sides are normally identical in price, so why is the driver side priced so much cheaper on AutoZone's site?
We currently have inflation. If the more expensive strut was purchased recently-and the other strut is "old stock" that could account for the difference. It might not be " a game" at all. On some sites these would be listed concurrently-and the number in stock shown. Then when those are gone it's the higher price. I think Tire Rack listed tires this way-don't know if they still do.

If the more expensive strut was purchased recently-and the other strut is "old stock" that could account for the difference.
It would be far too complicated to price items that way in business systems. Systems keep track of what an item cost (average) vs what they sell for (average) and they just roll with it.

That’s not just AZ. Quite often I’ve seen that. I was recently shopping engine mounts and rear calipers for my new 91 350SD. Each side was a different price.

No I'm saying if you were to buy both shipped by Autozone you would have to pay shipping on one but not the other. The difference between those two listings is not just different sides of the car.

It would be far too complicated to price items that way in business systems. Systems keep track of what an item cost (average) vs what they sell for (average) and they just roll with it.
I have seen things listed this way. There is software for everything.

I recently ordered two KYB quickstruts for my 2012 Honda Fit. One side was more expensive on every site as well.
From my experience, not the norm.

8F165ADA-1125-48D5-9932-36B9842268C1.jpg

No I'm saying if you were to buy both shipped by Autozone you would have to pay shipping on one but not the other. The difference between those two listings is not just different sides of the car.
At checkout, both are eligible for free shipping to home.

I would think passenger side might be cheaper, roads rougher on that side. But maybe driver side gets replaced more often, after accidents?

Supposed to do in pairs, if shops are good on the upsell, then i’d think sales of singles would be too low to have a price impact.

Just received a note from AZ stating my order has been cancelled. No explanation.

A phone call to Customer Service resulted in the explanation that they were OOS.

Could be the inventory or to trick the buyers (for all we know, "regardless" no one would change the just the drivers side struts, it has to be in pairs)

Last edited:
Back