Autoline: 2023 Industry Report Card

IMG_8582.jpeg

Discuss…

My guess is EVs will ultimately win out. The engineering, manufacturing and labor benefits of making EVs will be hard to match.

Last edited:

View attachment 149364

Discuss…

I still believe EVs will ultimately win out. The engineering, manufacturing and labor benefits of making EV will be hard to match.

I would totally agree. Let the gnashing of teeth continue on this forum. The simplicity over ICE will be extremely hard to match. RAMs new EV pickup can have up to a 500 mile range. Walmart is installing chargers at 1,000s of locations. The hand writing is on the wall-even for those who choose not to read it.

Last edited:
Putting the whole dramatic EV discussion aside, if purchasing trends/patterns are taken into consideration, what does this indicate about us as a society (mostly in relation to those companies holding the top 5 spots on the list)?
:unsure:

Yes, the writing is on the wall because the government is forcing the consumer to purchase EVs, I mean, by the goodwill of their loving Hearts.

Last edited:
I watched this video this morning as well. I think the other point that John did not make directly is the silent prediction that some of these automakers will not make it in the long term if they don't change their fiscal ways.

The lens through which John scrutinizes the automotive industry is strictly financial, and omits several factors of equal or even greater importance. Some of the car companies on this list are the pride and joy of the respective nations in which they're domiciled, and political and cultural considerations will impact the chances of their survival in the future. With deglobalization (and its corollary, localization) becoming ever more prominent in the years ahead, I think this evaluation would be better compartmentalized by country; for instance, comparing the American-domiciled manufacturers alone (e.g., Ford vs. GM vs. Tesla), because they're uniquely governed by US legislation and culture, and separately evaluating the foreign manufacturers in their own nation-specific categories. I suppose this video's content can reflect the chances of each company's future foreign market participation, since that is less political/cultural and more a financially motivated decision. Credit where it's due, this is quite an interesting collection and analysis of data.

Back