Auto-RX or non-synthetic stopped leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

vvk

I am at the end of first rinse cycle with my 1998 SAAB 900S. I have had a pretty bad oil leak through the distributor. It's a common problem for this engine.

I started an Auto-RX treatment using Castrol GTX 10W-40 as carrier oil. Per instructions, went 1500 miles on Auto-RX, then changed oil with fresh Castrol GTX 10W-40. Another 1500 miles later -- my distributor leak is completely gone! I know for sure because I wrapped coolant hoses under the distributor with aluminum wrap to prevent oil damage. The new wrap is clean -- pretty drastic change from before the treatment.

I am not sure if the non-synthetic oil caused the leak to dry up or the Auto-RX. However, the results are very compelling. I still have another treatment to run, since the engine has over 100k miles. Once I switch back to synthetic oil afterwards, it will be interesting to see if the leak re-occurs.

If you go to www.auto-rx.com and read "How To Stop A Seal Leak" you will understand the role Auto-Rx plays and why non synthetic oil is what we use to finish stopping the leak (again if seal is ripped or torn nothing but seal replacement can be done) by the way in a very short period after going back to synthetic-semi synthetic or high mileage oil "YOUR"
leak will start again. Suggest you stay with Dino Oil

quote:

Originally posted by Frank:
by the way in a very short period after going back to synthetic-semi synthetic or high mileage oil "YOUR"
leak will start again. Suggest you stay with Dino Oil

That's what happened with my Jeep when I went back to Amsoil synthetic. I noticed the rear main seal leak returned a few thousand miles after I completed the stop leak procedure. I sort of feel like I wasted my time and money using autorx because the leak returned but when I think about it at least now I have a clean engine. I'm going back to dino Havoline 10W30....very good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back