auto paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone tried to diy painting an auto? I was wondering where to buy paint from? How would I find it locally?
thanks

I've done it once, quite a while ago. My recommendation would be to do all your own prep, then have it shot by a paint shop, maybe as a side project?
I got all my supplies from a store that specialized in auto paint. Got a reference from someone. If I were you, I'd call a number of independent repair places in your local area, and ask where they get their supplies.
Here in Vegas, it would be simple. Just drive a car with dents for a couple of days. You will be stopped by at least 5 gentlemen with a Spanish accent asking if they can repair your car. Just ask them where they get their paint.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: linkman
I was wondering if anyone tried to diy painting an auto? I was wondering where to buy paint from? How would I find it locally?
thanks

If you live in NY close to Valley Stream, Albert Kemperle is where all the auto body shops buy their paint.

I don't want to break any rules by posting a phone # and address PM me if you'd like that information. These guys sell retail too and have everything you'll need.

Frank D

How much experience do you have with a spray gun? Do you have access to a good one? Metalics take even better techniques than solid colors.

You can buy paint at the larger, professional auto parts stores. AAP and Oriely's likey don't have it.

I go along with doing your own prep and letting somebody else shoot it.

Originally Posted By: labman
I go along with doing your own prep and letting somebody else shoot it.

Agreed. Painting a car requires skills that cannot be acquired on the fly.

Most of the spanish gentleman buy stuff from the local auto parts store and use spraycans to paint. I tried getting info locally but always got they will not sell to you story.. The car is a 97 Maxima which I purchased almost 13 years ago that got tboned by a non insured driver 3 years ago(no chance of ever collecting). I did not want to go through the hassle while I was in medschool so we fixed several parts as a family project via junk yards during time off. I got a mismatch color on the fender and a primed bumper and still figuring out what to do for airbags. I have no experience but do not want to pay anyone outside to do it since this is my fourth vehicle and I am keeping this vehicle because this was my first car and I cannot bare to get rid of it. I have no experience regarding auto painting. I just want the car to look semi-decent as it looks like a funny car right now.

Well maybe it is a place to start. Do you have a spray gun or access to one? I have no idea how those Wagner things would do. If is major dollars to step up from a rattle can from Oreily's to a spray gun and compressor.

I have bought paint from pro places locally and done some painting myself. Of course, my first job after college was with an outfit called Rinshed-Mason.

I have looked around online and some people are buying the Devilbliss brand 1.3 or 1.4 tip spraygun, as far as atomization should this be ok? I was figuring on getting a decent Craftsman or something available at Homedepot for a compressor, also what specs should I get as far as compressor ratings. I do not really mind spending, my goal is just to avoid paying someone to do it for me and learn in the process.

Those compressors are not enough, I speak from experience (and I have one of the largest wheeled versions available for purchase). Essentialy, you'll need a stand-up "permanent" compressor to properly run a HVLP gun.

I painted my own car using paint from paintforcars.com.
Ran me about $600 for a large sized 1970's car.
My compressor was actually too big as I couldn't get the pressure lowered enough to get a perfect atomization.
I had a few drips and runs,but the finished product was great IMHO.
I saved a ton of money,and the car looked great.
The clear was put on,and really protected the paint.
I had enough for almost three coats,and I couldn't scratch the paint.

The new car I own,must have a really thin clear coat,after one year,I still have small scratches in the paint.
The car I painted,still looked freshly painted,when I sold it a few years later.

It was well worth the $600 for the experience of painting.
I plan on doing another vehicle this spring,just for the fun of it.

Quote:
My compressor was actually too big as I couldn't get the pressure lowered enough to get a perfect atomization.

That's impossible. You needed a different regulator or your setup had issues.

I'm glad it worked out for you though.

You need to really watch offgassing, solvent control and release, and occupational health and safety issues. You will be releasing a lot of solvents to the air, and youll need some good breathing devices, IMO.

Another issue will be dust control. Do you have a perfectly sealed box to do it in? If not, I'd assume some grit in your paint...

I have to agree about doing the prep and having someone else paint. I'd venture to guess that even maaco will do a better job than your first try. Not a bad thing to want to learn, but Id say this isnt the best backyard job...

Originally Posted By: linkman
Most of the spanish gentleman

Sounds like you should get a Maaco paint job.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You need to really watch offgassing, solvent control and release, and occupational health and safety issues. You will be releasing a lot of solvents to the air, and youll need some good breathing devices, IMO.

Another issue will be dust control. Do you have a perfectly sealed box to do it in? If not, I'd assume some grit in your paint...

I have to agree about doing the prep and having someone else paint. I'd venture to guess that even maaco will do a better job than your first try. Not a bad thing to want to learn, but Id say this isnt the best backyard job...

Tough job for anyone to do in a backyard. Now with access to a paint booth, and the proper equipment I would tackle it.

As far as Maaco goes. Years back I had them spray a Van for me, it was black and I wanted it black again. I went to two different Maaco shops for prices and asked that they shoot the body only and not the roof, I didn't care what the roof looked like, it was a work van.

They quoted me the same price $600 to shoot the van. One guy insisted he had to shoot the roof, the other would do only the body. I couldn't understand why one guy insisted on shooting the roof, I told him I didn't care about over spray etc. Anyway I ended up going with the Maaco shop that shot the roof. They did one of the best cheap paint jobs I ever saw. It is was a high volume shop, and I later found out that many of the local body shops prep their customers cars and send them to Maaco to get painted.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

You have less problems with dust if you use a lacquer such as Alpha Cryl if the EPA hasn't banned it. It usually goes on at 85-90% solvent. It dries before much dust settles on it. Wetting down the area before painting is a common trick. You do have to rub it out, but it is more forgiving of bad technique. It is why I used it loooong after I no longer worked for RM.

If you are working outside, venilation isn't as much of an issue. OSHA regulations are based on 40 hour work weeks. However, it only take an instant to start a fire. If it is electrical, leave it shut off.

Depends where you plan on painting, around here a Pizzed off neighbor can shut down a paint job real fast. Something to consider for sure.

I've painted about five cars long time ago, and done a few repair paint jobs. Though I can lay the paint down, I have yet to perfect the technique of rubbing it out to a decent professional shine.

Also, years back the paint cost $10 per quart ($15 for metallic). The prices have increased five-fold since then.

i'm surprised no one has pointed to the 50$ DIY paint job.go to moparts.com and search for $50.00 paint job.the poster is magnumcharger.he uses a rustoleum type paint and rollers.he has pics of a nice charger and a pair of vw's.there are hundreds of posts and lots of pics.
i was going to post a link,but could not figure out how.maybe one of the other people here could do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back