Auto owner quirks

You have any proof? Every article I have read shows the compressor turns on based on cabin temperature and a thermostat near the evaporator, example article:

“It is normal for the AC compressor to switch on and off. Every time the air becomes hotter, the air conditioning compressor cycles to cool it until the required temperature. An air conditioner’s cycle time is the time it takes for the compressor to start working and cool down the room temperature to the temperature set on the thermostat.”

I have not read articles that say a compressor refuses do engage past a certain rpm to avoid clutch wear or that the AC anticipates when a driver begins accelerating at an intersection.

I have heard some cars disengage the clutch at wide open throttle to release parasitic loss, but that’s on small engines like the Miata.

Where is an article explaining what you are saying is fact today?
Even my big ol’ 5.7 v8 cuts the AC compressor if you floor it. The clutch also isn’t slipping, it’s either engaged or disengaged, by turning it on and off more you’re causing more wear to it than leaving it alone.

Even my big ol’ 5.7 v8 cuts the AC compressor if you floor it. The clutch also isn’t slipping, it’s either engaged or disengaged, by turning it on and off more you’re causing more wear to it than leaving it alone.

Yup, that's been a thing as long as electronic fuel injection has been around (Ford EEC-IV had it) and perhaps even before if there was a WOT switch on some carb'd cars.

I have never physically watched a compressor operating, but I can watch at idle, the AC compressor causing idle blips every 2 minutes or so. This is my experience in a 2001 honda civic and 1991 toyota previa. Both have good outlet temperatures and good pressures.

I still think with my cars the AC cycles on and off more often than if I manually cycle it, but I realize that compressor clutches aren't things that fail often due to use, so I am being obsessive. It is a quirk.

My thing is I can not get over how many I ride with and notice almost instantly we are breathing exhaust fumes. I will ask "is your outside air open on purpose?" and 99% of the time that is met with a puzzled look follwed by a "wha...huh?" and then me explaining "you see that little symbol that is open? that means your a/c vent is set to bring outside air in the cabin. Close it and you don't have to breath every car on the roads exhaust fumes." They are truly caught like a deer in headlights! I guess its just me. How can they not know how to operate their own a/c system? :(

I really dislike driving my car super short distances. For example when I wash the car I will put it in neutral and just push it into the driveway. Then I start it to pull it back in. Or ill go around the block at least.
Yeah I'm the same way with the short distances.

My thing is I can not get over how many I ride with and notice almost instantly we are breathing exhaust fumes. I will ask "is your outside air open on purpose?" and 99% of the time that is met with a puzzled look follwed by a "wha...huh?" and then me explaining "you see that little symbol that is open? that means your a/c vent is set to bring outside air in the cabin. Close it and you don't have to breath every car on the roads exhaust fumes." They are truly caught like a deer in headlights! I guess its just me. How can they not know how to operate their own a/c system? :(
? It's a rare day that I smell other car exhaust. I mean, if I walk out in the parking lot I can tell when a Toyota has started and taken off (boy do they run rich!) but these days, the only time I smell exhaust is when I get stuck behind some old car. And they have to be poorly running at that.

Eons ago, in college I got a ride with a friend. Being the jerk I am, I pretended that I was going to hit a button on the center stack. Only to find out... she didn't know what it did. The button? A remote release for the trunk! Imagine not know that useful button. [In her defense, this was like 1997, and it was an Excel, so it wasn't like anything fancy was expected on this ride.]

My one quirk has to be oil changes. I've sometimes gone past the 5k mark and decided to just do 10k, rather than get off 5's and 0's on the odometer.

But on top of that, for some reason I tend to loath going that full distance. So I'll change like 100-200 miles shy of having a 5 or 0 on the odo. BUT... that means it's still 5k if I do that every time. ??? No it doesn't make sense, but for some reason, if the odo says 114,897 I'm thinking "I gotta change it!"

My one quirk has to be oil changes. I've sometimes gone past the 5k mark and decided to just do 10k, rather than get off 5's and 0's on the odometer.

But on top of that, for some reason I tend to loath going that full distance. So I'll change like 100-200 miles shy of having a 5 or 0 on the odo. BUT... that means it's still 5k if I do that every time. ??? No it doesn't make sense, but for some reason, if the odo says 114,897 I'm thinking "I gotta change it!"
Don't feel funny. I say that I have O.C.D. = Oil Change Disorder / Delusion etc..... accompanied or turned into - obsessions, ritual type behavior , auto supply hoarding (inside my shop cabinet looks like a Walmart Oil and automotive detailing products display case) , checking and rechecking it , rearranging supplies , then counting oil containers and filters and checking my auto service record books (books as in one in cabinet + one in the glove compartment in each car) and I must confess ......... these same records also reside in a file inside my home computer. Ok. It really is not OCD or any old quirks, its automobile insanity + retirement boredom! Wife is constantly saying "get out of that garage or the shop before you throw out your back or reinjure something!" I been caught trying to wax one of the cars at 11:00 pm already.

Last edited:
The only " quirk " I have is to remove any dealership decals , plate holders , or any form of advertisement immediately . I did get bored a few months ago and removed all of the goofy plastic badging off of the tailgate of my Titan . Really gave it a cleaner look .

Anyone ever use the automatic setting on your a/c? I have tried it and just can't seem to stop changing the setting so I run in manual.
I never use it. I don't like how it cranks up the fan to maximum when you first start the car to lower or raise the temperature.
In fact I have yet to use any of the automatic settings in my cars, whether it be the HVAC, headlights or rain sensing windshield wipers. They never work as good or exactly how I would set them or adjust them myself.

I never use it. I don't like how it cranks up the fan to maximum when you first start the car to lower or raise the temperature.
In fact I have yet to use any of the automatic settings in my cars, whether it be the HVAC, headlights or rain sensing windshield wipers. They never work as good or exactly how I would set them or adjust them myself.
I'm with you on the roaring fan, especially when it's cold out and the engine has warmed JUST enough for the computer to decide to kick the fan on and blow a bunch of cold air around.

Side note - I also don't use many auto features (my wife either) and wish others wouldn't, because it seems like so many have become so disconnected from their cars. Just an appliance, like a toaster to be used, consumed and discarded with no idea of how to check oil, add air to tires, change tires or any of the other little things that lots of people used to be able to do when needed - like on the side of the road or some parking lot..

Back