Auto industry lobbies for a 91 octane standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
We're all gonna get shafted.

We're all gonna benefit, too.

Higher fuel prices on the one hand, more mpg and cleaner air/water/soil on the other hand. Technology marches on...

Also, between economies of scale and reduced global demand for fuel, I'm not sure the price increases are going to be as big as we might think.

Couldn't agree more with your statement

Originally Posted By: hatt
Blame the government. It's not car makers that made insane rules. We probably could use an upgrade from 87 to be honest.

I'm not really going to blame anyone. I see this as something that needs to happen anyway. At the end of the day I'm really indifferent on the issue.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Yeah I realize that, just noting those who are gonna get shafted

The article says the OEMs have specified the price delta from 87 octane shouldn’t be more than $ .05/gallon. Hardly sounds like getting shafted.

Originally Posted By: Danh
The article says the OEMs have specified the price delta from 87 octane shouldn’t be more than $ .05/gallon. Hardly sounds like getting shafted.

Makes sense if 91 becomes the standard. Which will make it cheaper than it is now.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

Makes sense if 91 becomes the standard. Which will make it cheaper than it is now.
Having only one grade would save money but I'm sure there is always going to be "premium" sold.

Originally Posted By: Rmay635703
Makes you wonder why the price delta around here can be a dollar or more between 87 and 91

I remember when it was 10 to 15 cents a grade difference with $2.00 @ gallon fuel. Now it's close to a buck with $3.00 @ gallon fuel.

"Standard" is fine. If they want to make vehicles that they say 91 octane is "recommended" then have at it. The market will dictate if that will work. A pretty high percentage of new vehicles sold today "require" premium, so this might already be happening.

What I wouldn't like is "mandate". I already have to deal with the E10 mandate around here and have to drive 30 miles to have a choice on what type of fuel I want.

Last gasp for ICE. Gonna be 75% electric and mostly autonomous in 25 years or so......

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
This got me wondering what the octane grades were around 1970. A lot of cars back then were running 10:1 compression or more with iron block/head engines. When compression ratios dropped in the early '70s, did octane numbers go down with them?

In my area - regular leaded gasoline was 88 octane, and leaded premium was 92 - a few places had 94. (Unleaded premium is 91 here and has been for a lot of years).

I had a couple of early 60's Oldsmobiles with the "Rocket" engine, which was a 394 with high compression ratio (10:1 IIRC). They both required premium. I tried running regular, and they ran very poorly and pinged like crazy. Retarding the time would help, but of course would greatly reduce the power.

In the end I would just bite the bullet and pay the extra for premium.

Originally Posted By: sloinker
Last gasp for ICE. Gonna be 75% electric and mostly autonomous in 25 years or so......

I'll bet you that won't happen.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
We're all gonna get shafted.

We're all gonna benefit, too.

Higher fuel prices on the one hand, more mpg and cleaner air/water/soil on the other hand. Technology marches on...

Also, between economies of scale and reduced global demand for fuel, I'm not sure the price increases are going to be as big as we might think.

Couldn't agree more with your statement

+2

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

hahahahahahahahaha

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: sloinker

I'll bet you that won't happen.
wink.gif

Let's check back in 25 years when I'm 83 years old.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By:

Makes no sense to me. Why isn't 91 octane cheap now? Why is it 26% more than regular?

You can't use the argument that simplification of manufacture and delivery to a single grade will make it cheaper, because today's expense of offering multiple grades of gasoline should apply equally to all grades, not just premium.

So tell me again, where did they come up with the 5¢ increase limit? I can pull numbers out of the air just as easily.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By:

Makes no sense to me. Why isn't 91 octane cheap now? Why is it 26% more than regular?

You can't use the argument that simplification of manufacture and delivery to a single grade will make it cheaper, because today's expense of offering multiple grades of gasoline should apply equally to all grades, not just premium.

So tell me again, where did they come up with the 5¢ increase limit? I can pull numbers out of the air just as easily.
Premium products cost more. Pretty basic stuff.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By:

We only have 3 grades because they have two tanks in the ground to feed the pumps … if pumps of the future will only have 91 and diesel so be it … the OEM’s have to adjust and fuel add packages are already built into some pumps so that can bridge until the 93 engines fade away … all of 4 of mine will run 91 now … I only buy it for the single turbo …

Greater good is for a stable price of transportation … better chance of that with a single grade …

I've read that manufacturers have been frustrated with the inability to release engines with higher compression ratios because of the min octane of 87. It's well known that higher compression yields more power.

Besides, IMO location of the station and the add pack are a larger factor in the cost of fuel rather than the octane rating. For example in my area the price delta between Shell V-Power 93 and Costco 93 is 50 cents/gal. That's HUGE and I still save money when the cost of the Costco membership is factored in.

This is not news. This has been coming for a long time. Manufacturers are able to produce more efficient engines but they require higher octane. So without the widespread availability of higher octane at the pump, manufacturers cannot justify the R&D investment. So there has been a push for higher octane at the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back