Audi really don’t trust their owners.

My 2007 A4 2.0's low oil light goes on exactly at the low dipstick mark, one quart low. Add a quart, drive 5,000 then change at 10,000 miles. Blackstone says to try 12,000. 10,000 is fine for me with mobile one european formula.

If you talk to my brother’s 22-30 yo coworkers they say it’s stupid to waste time on a car. He brought up the notion of a manual transmission and they said boy that’s just plain stupid. And the thing is they’re quite degreed and 100% serious
I guess if they don't do the maintenance, then they are walking.. Just because someone ignores something doesn't mean it doesn't exist! like normal maintenance.. hmm.. educated but not intelligent.. sad..

My 2007 A4 2.0's low oil light goes on exactly at the low dipstick mark, one quart low. Add a quart, drive 5,000 then change at 10,000 miles. Blackstone says to try 12,000. 10,000 is fine for me with mobile one european formula.

A low oil light in a 2007 Audi is surely just a low oil pressure light?

In the Q2 in question this is an actual electronic dipstick that the driver has no access to that I have found so far, not that I have looked particularly hard.

My BMW will send a message to add oil soon, then a message will pop up to add 1 litre.

I see nobody finds it interesting that Audi fits an electronic dipstick to a vehicle with a normal dipstick, I thought it was interesting anyway.

And the image of that showed Audi was part of the same group that owns VW is just random

The clue is in the group name VAG, and I don’t think anybody that hasn’t lived under a rock for 20 years needs it pointed out that VW, VW Commercial Vehicles, Audi, Lamborghini, Cupar, Ducati, Skoda, Bentley, Porsche and Seat are all part of the same group.

I don't think that necessarily needs to be someone who leases a car. It may be different outside of the US, but in the US, but it's my observation that drivers do not check their car. The easiest place to do it is when we get gas. I check my oil about ever 1000 miles (every 2-3 weeks). I'm usually the one to put gas in my wife's car, so I check it more on time than mileage, still every 2-3, maybe 4 weeks (she doesn't drive any where near as much as I do).

It is so rare that I see someone at a gas station checking their oil.

Something I think we on this site lose sight of, WE ARE THE MINORITY. Not saying it's right, just the public doesn't pay as much attention to their cars as they should. Fortunately for them, vehicles are more reliable than they ever have been (obviously a few exceptions out there).
Most Audi owners Lease, that just a fact.

In the UK they use the PCP model, which is basically a personal lease with an option to buy at the end.

You read threads on here that make mention of people in the US leasing high end vehicles fairly often.

Audi & VW without dipsticks have been around for at least a decade now.

Some Audi owners have retrofitted a dipstick because old-fashioned and the electronic measurement is really slow.

My 2020 BMW 520d MHT had both electronic and actual dipsticks.

My 2022 Dacia Duster DCi has the worst dipstick in the world. The only way to check the oil is to do it when the engine is freezing cold and been sat for a good while. Oil gathers in the dipstick tube and makes it impossible to read. Annoyingly, you also fill the oil up through the dipstick tube.

I guess if they don't do the maintenance, then they are walking.. Just because someone ignores something doesn't mean it doesn't exist! like normal maintenance.. hmm.. educated but not intelligent.. sad..
It’s very different generationally. They think a fancy car (other than Tesla) is of no value. I’ve overheard in my office, “Mike you spent over $200 for sunglasses? Are you ****** crazy?!” (Meanwhile I’ve spent $800 on Maui Jim rx)

Yet at the same time, they spend $18/day at lunch (I don’t work for a co which provides free—my buddy’s does and no one appreciates it which is a lesson in human nature).

But the latest video game and unlocking it 😂

Couple of days ago I was at the gas pumps and I popped the hood of the beater Chevy van that I drive for work and I pulled the transmission dipstick and wiped it off. The guy in front of me made some comment like "holy crap that's a long dip stick". Never really thought about it before, but yea it's gotta be almost 3 feet long. I guess that tranny is back there a little ways.

One other time, many years ago I was driving my old diesel VW Rabbit, and the diesel pumps at this particular gas station said "Trucks Only" above them. I pulled in and started filling up and some guy across from me yelled "Hey, you know that's diesel?" I kind of ignored him and gave him a little wave. Then he raised his voice a little and said "You're going to wreck your car, that's diesel you're putting in there!". Then another person from a different pump tried to help out by yelling something like "Hey moron, you're wrecking your car. What an idiot! Oh my God dude, are you seriously this dumb?".

This was in the mid 90's, when diesel Volkswagens really weren't that rare. I just stood there and shook my head and chuckled to my self, finished pumping, and then drove away.

You meet some interesting characters at gas stations sometimes!

Last edited:
A low oil light in a 2007 Audi is surely just a low oil pressure light?

In the Q2 in question this is an actual electronic dipstick that the driver has no access to that I have found so far, not that I have looked particularly hard.

My BMW will send a message to add oil soon, then a message will pop up to add 1 litre.

I see nobody finds it interesting that Audi fits an electronic dipstick to a vehicle with a normal dipstick, I thought it was interesting anyway.

And the image of that showed Audi was part of the same group that owns VW is just random

The clue is in the group name VAG, and I don’t think anybody that hasn’t lived under a rock for 20 years needs it pointed out that VW, VW Commercial Vehicles, Audi, Lamborghini, Cupar, Ducati, Skoda, Bentley, Porsche and Seat are all part of the same group.
My wife has a 2015 Audi A4 quattro with the base 2L engine. It didn’t come with a dipstick. I added one which was easy to do. It has 94k on it and needs 1/2 a quart of oil past 4K into the oil. I change it every 5K miles.

I don't think that necessarily needs to be someone who leases a car. It may be different outside of the US, but in the US, but it's my observation that drivers do not check their car. The easiest place to do it is when we get gas. I check my oil about ever 1000 miles (every 2-3 weeks). I'm usually the one to put gas in my wife's car, so I check it more on time than mileage, still every 2-3, maybe 4 weeks (she doesn't drive any where near as much as I do).

It is so rare that I see someone at a gas station checking their oil.

Something I think we on this site lose sight of, WE ARE THE MINORITY. Not saying it's right, just the public doesn't pay as much attention to their cars as they should. Fortunately for them, vehicles are more reliable than they ever have been (obviously a few exceptions out there).
I saw someone at the pump next to me checking his oil and remarked to him that you don't see that very often. Then I noticed he was driving a Hyundai. He said it burned a quart every tank of gas!

My 2020 BMW 520d MHT had both electronic and actual dipsticks.

My 2022 Dacia Duster DCi has the worst dipstick in the world. The only way to check the oil is to do it when the engine is freezing cold and been sat for a good while. Oil gathers in the dipstick tube and makes it impossible to read. Annoyingly, you also fill the oil up through the dipstick tube.
On all the BMWs I have owned you could access the electronic dipstick.

That’s not the case on my daughters Q2.

That was my point

Audi have provided a dipstick for sensible owners to use

But have retained an electronic dipstick the owner has no access to and is only there to advise the owner to top up the oil, it has no their function that I can see.

And it comes on when the normal dipstick is far from being low, it was midway on the acceptable range

It would seem people haven’t actually read my original post or have not understood my point

What reason would Audi have for having an electronic dipstick fitted to the engine that the owner can’t access and whose only function is to tell the driver to top up the oil, and illuminate a yellow warning triangle that stays constantly till you sort the issue, as anybody that has owned any VAG vehicle in the last 10 or so years can confirm, once the amber triangle is illuminated on the dash it remains till you deal with the issue.

Is there any logical conclusion to be drawn other than Audi (VAG) want to ensure that owners keep the oil at the correct level?

My daughter has a 2020 Audi Q2, 1.5 TFSi with the DSG box

I checked the oil a week or so ago and I was in the middle of the normal zone, figured I would top it up when I have time

Then yesterday there was a message on the dash saying to add oil and an amber triangle lit up on the dash

I double checked the oil and it was still around the middle of the normal zone as previously

Chucked in 1/2 of Mobil 1 5W30 ESP and the light and warming went off. Audi allow 1/2 litre of top up using a 504 oil like ESP, the car usually takes the green 0w20, if memory serves its 509.

This is the first time I have seen a car with a normal dipstick and an electronic dipstick

You can’t check the oil level yourself electronically like I can on my BMW.

I just it was an interesting snippet of information and does provide an insight into how Audi view their typical customer

Somebody who leases a nice car for 3 or 4 years and doesn’t bother to lift the bonnet.
I think having the dashboard warn you once oil gets a half quart low is a great idea. Unfortunately most modern red oil lights only come on when the oil is 4 quarts low and your engine already might have significant damage.

I know on this site more emphasis is placed on what oil your using, but in my opinion, the only 2 things that really matter are:
[1] Keeping the full synthetic oil's level at the full mark on the dipstick (Check it monthly).
[2] Changing the oil frequently.

My car has a physical dipstick and also a low oil (add oil) warning, I think this is very common. There is no way to check the oil level electronically like on some other brands, but usually those other brands do not provide a physical dipstick in that case.

I don't see why this is some type of issue?

I think having the dashboard warn you once oil gets a half quart low is a great idea. Unfortunately most modern red oil lights only come on when the oil is 4 quarts low and your engine already might have significant damage.

I know on this site more emphasis is placed on what oil your using, but in my opinion, the only 2 things that really matter are:
[1] Keeping the full synthetic oil's level at the full mark on the dipstick (Check it monthly).
[2] Changing the oil frequently.
I think it’s a great idea for the average owner who never checks anything.

Exactly the kind of owner that considers a car to be a “white good” like a fridge

They don’t want to be bothered checking anything unless a warning comes up on the dash.

It would be nice to be able to use the electronic dipstick to check the oil, I wonder if that’s something that could be coded?

Anyway my daughter now knows how to check her oil and top it up and I am not concerned that she ever runs it low on oil because it sends her a message when there is still plenty of oil in the engine

For modern car owners it’s a great idea

For the keen owner, like the average Bitoger maybe it’s a bit pointless, but anything that stops an engine from being needlessly damaged is a good thing

How many Ford Ecobooms would have been saved if Ford did the same thing.

I believe the little 1.0 Ecoboom is one of the worst for running low on oil and grenading itself.

There is also the Renault/Dacia 900cc turbo engine as fitted to various small Renaults and Dacia (And the Smart ForTwo and ForFpur) that has a reputation for using oil and going bang because it isn’t checked.

I looked at a 1 yr old Clio for my daughter before she go the Q2 and of the small number we looked at 1 had a noisy engine and two were below minimum of the dipstick, with less than 10k miles on the clock.

My car has a physical dipstick and also a low oil (add oil) warning, I think this is very common. There is no way to check the oil level electronically like on some other brands, but usually those other brands do not provide a physical dipstick in that case.

I don't see why this is some type of issue?
Is it a low oil light or a low oil pressure light?

What car is it?

If you mean you’re RS3, of course it does, it’s an Audi the same as my daughters Q2 so the same applies, Audi don’t trust their owners to check the oil. Can you actually check the oil using the electronic dipstick?

As far as a Subaru having an add oil light, none of mine ever did, though my last two Subarus were a 2004 WRX with the 2.0 engine and a 2004 Legacy 2.0 Auto (single cam)

Back