Attempt to rebuild alternator

I had to replace an oil fouled Alternator on a Honda J35 and I was wondering if I should attempt to clean it and rebuild it or if I should just turn the core in for $50. Is it hard to rebuild and what parts would I need to do the job? I have never done one before. Thanks.

Here is a link to an alternator and starter rebuilding shop in Ohio that sells rebuilding kits.

You might look your vehicle up to see if there is a kit for the alternator.

Here is a link to an alternator and starter rebuilding shop in Ohio that sells rebuilding kits.

Unfortunately, it looks like they only have early 2000s starter rebuilds available for the Odyssey.

If it's oil fouled, maybe a good cleaning and looking over the electronics. If the mechanicals are good, could you use an voltage regulator assembly?

If the oil damaged the stator windings by dissolving the varnish on the "wires", then it's pretty much shot.

Rewinding a stator is job for a shop; not usually DIY.

If you’re not experienced at rebuilding an alternator start with one that will be worth rebuilding. As said previously in this thread the oil has degraded the rotor and stator windings.

I had to replace an oil fouled Alternator on a Honda J35 and I was wondering if I should attempt to clean it and rebuild it or if I should just turn the core in for $50. Is it hard to rebuild and what parts would I need to do the job? I have never done one before. Thanks.
Most likely all it needs are brushes and maybe diodes.

First time DIY rebuilders can change bearings, brushes, voltage regulators and possibly solder in a new set of diodes. Beyond that you need professional help.

That said if you take the old one apart, you might find what's wrong. And if you don't, you can probably reassemble it to a state where the parts jockey will give you your deposit back.

I tried to replace some diodes in a Taurus alternator once. You need a lot of heat to unsolder them. They must use a torch?

Nah, I wouldn't. The value of your time has to be worth something along with the cost of new parts and shop supplies. Probably cost efficient just to buy new from DBelectric. If you are doing it at work and your employer is paying for your time/tools/shop supplies. Go for it!

I tried to replace some diodes in a Taurus alternator once. You need a lot of heat to unsolder them. They must use a torch?
There are bigger soldering irons than are typically used on electronics, like used to set lead flashing. One of these might work.

I was thinking it would just be a cool project and nice to have a spare... It would be a backburner project, my priority right now is chasing down an oil leak. Thought replacing the front rocker arm fixed it... Hoping its just residual oil from the install.

The more I think about it, I may just turn the core in :LOL:

Make sure you use oem parts. I tried to rebuild a Nippondenso alternator, could not find the oem parts and purchased Regitar and Transpo parts (Chinese) online. They failed in a few months time.

Make sure you use oem parts. I tried to rebuild a Nippondenso alternator, could not find the oem parts and purchased Regitar and Transpo parts (Chinese) online. They failed in a few months time.
Yeah it's a Denso. Where would I get the OEM parts? Can you order them from Denso or do you have to find a dealer?

Interesting. Hopefully these are not the same components used by the major rebuilders for cheap alternators that last about a year. Maybe some of that comes down to the skills of the rebuilder, but the replacement parts are very important too.

Last edited:
Back