Attach case cover?

Been a (long) while since I've done this sort of thing, 15 years ago maybe. Used product called (I think) hylomar??? to produce leak free fittings. What would be suggested here, RTV only, RTV one side of gasket, gasket only?????

Attachments

• 1701880645057.jpeg
    1701880645057.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 33
I use a very thin coating of Permatex red on my Harley primary cover along with the oem primary gasket. Never had a leak. It also helps to hold the gasket in place while I get the 13 cover bolts started. ;)

I rebuilt the top end on my XR400 last year including cam chain. For the timing cover I used only the gasket and there are no leaks. If you're confident everything is straight and clean, I think that's the way to go, just be sure to torque the fasteners properly. I would use gasket sealer only if the engine has an unknown history and/or in rough shape. Some people put a little grease on the gasket if they anticipate removing it again.

Thanks for the replies, I used the gasket only as the surfaces were clean and no scratches. Hylomar prices have gone through the roof, although I think that is almost a one-size-fits-all solution to most sealing problems.

When I was wrenching on Harleys, I used Locktite anaerobic gasket sealer on all gaskets except head gaskets. It helped seal the gasket and keep them from sticking if you needed to take it apart again. I also used UltraBlack on primary cases. The key was using it sparingly.

Back