Valve cover gasket as part of routine maintenance?

I'm just curious if people replace their valve cover gasket as part of routine maintenance? 50k, 100k, etc? Or is it one of those things that you leave be until there is a reason to touch it?

It occurred to me that my 2007 Camry with 153k has never had the gasket changed. I thought maybe that might be contributing to the oil consumption/loss, but I couldn't find any areas that looked like they were leaking. The gunk around the cap has to be from me spilling oil over the years when topping her off that I never see because of the engine cover.

1000001631.jpg

1000001630.jpg

1000001632.jpg

It occurred to me that my 2007 Camry with 153k has never had the gasket changed. I thought maybe that might be contributing to the oil consumption/loss, but I couldn't find any areas that looked like they were leaking. The gunk around the cap has to be from me spilling oil over the years when topping her off that I never see because of the engine cover.

You can’t see that? ;)

I in fact do on one car - V6 lexus with the rear bank against the firewall. I change the timing belt, plugs, VCGs all at once on that car since it saves labor down the road.

That’s looks like a 4 so that’s an easy job, get on it!

The only time you need to pre-emptively replace valve cover gaskets is something like a transverse V6 when you need to pull the intake to access the rear spark plugs or some other job. After doing all of that, you might as well just replace the valve cover gaskets.

But in an easy 4-cylinder like yours, there is no need to do that :)

Aight. Well, I guess I'll clean it and plan on replacing the gasket sometime soon based on the reactions here :)

I'm just a weekend DIYer so I learned something today if this is what an obvious valve cover gasket leak looks like. At some point in the last ten years I got sick of paying for car maintenance, bought some tools, and started doing it all myself based on what I could research online. Thanks for the advice, all.

Aight. Well, I guess I'll clean it and plan on replacing the gasket sometime soon based on the reactions here :)

I'm just a weekend DIYer so I learned something today if this is what an obvious valve cover gasket leak looks like. At some point in the last ten years I got sick of paying for car maintenance, bought some tools, and started doing it all myself based on what I could research online. Thanks for the advice, all.
Dude transverse I4. If it is leaking don’t sweat. If you want to sweat, do I6 BMW VCG. That will dehydrate you in no time.

I've done a few 2AZ valve covers, expect the gasket to be brittle/shattered plastic instead of supple rubber

I recommend the OE gasket @ $20 or so
You'll need a smear of RTV at the timing cover parting line
FIPG 103 or Aisin FIPG is the original
But Ultra Black will also seal well
Consider a new PCV valve as a "While you're in there"

If you're feeling real spendy, you can get a new seal for the oil fill cap, and the dipstick o-ring

Has this particular 2AZ been opened or rebuilt under the ZE7 campaign from way back when?

I just bought a 2008 Camry w/4 cylinder. I think the P.O replaced the VCG. Cars got 140k miles. Runs like s champ. Just did an oil change. P.O did not mention any oil consumption issues. I'll keep an eye on the oil level though.

It's a 4-cylinder. Shouldn't take more than an hour to do the VCG. I'd do the spark plugs too since you're there.

Good plan.

A tip: go to Toyota nation or some model-specific site and check the hive mind on the proceedure. Some ToyLex vehicles of that era use unique VC bolts that stretch and may or may not be re-usable, and can crack the mounting tabs (ask me how I know this). This car may or may not have those, but check as is it’s a possibility. There is also some art to gasket installation and torquing, if you are not familiar.

ETA: ok, I looked at the pics again and that engine does not appear to have those funky compression bolts like on the MZ engine.

You only replace it if i the oil is running down on your exhaust manifold and causing burning smoke/fumes to enter into your interior.
So this was my original thought as well reading up on the symptoms of a bad VCG. I can confidently say that this is not happening. The car is 16 years old and I have never cleaned the outside of the engine, so I am going that route first to see if it fouls up again anywhere. With that said she had 153k on her over 16 years so that gasket could very well be in need of replacing.

Replace a VC gasket as part of routine maintenance? No, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If it is leaking then fix it. My 88 E-150 300 I-6 valve cover gasket is still dry as a bone. Having said that, I did replace leaking pushrod cover gaskets, and a non-leaking RMS as preventative maintenance when I did the clutch last summer.

OP- I would replace the oil fill cap gasket and clean the engine to see if the VC gasket is leaking or not. Then go from there.

unless I was pouring oil in it on a constant basis, that looks more like seepage than a leak and I would let it develop.

Routine maintenance, no. If it’s a deeper repair and the valve cover has to be removed, depends on the age of the vehicle and gasket type.

When I buy JDM engines pretty much always.

Only replace if leaking. I had to do the one on my Escape at like 130K miles. Shortly after I used Pennzoil for the first time. So that means Pennzoil sucks and caused the leak. Just kidding! Stuff gets old and leaks. But no way I would have changed it if it wasn't leaking.

Back