Atlas Air 747-8 returns safely to MIA after engine fire

Pretty dramatic. I take it that it's spewing burning fuel that's leaving a trail of little fireballs.

atlas-air-1-ap-bb-240119_1705683220994_hpMain.jpg

Juan Browne seems to think it was shedding turbine blades.

I'm guessing each puff translates into a gallon or more of Jet A.

And everytime one of those type of engines go south, its just a cool 20 to 40 million down the tube.

Last edited:
I'm assuming the pilots immediately shut down engines 1 & 2. Otherwise, the fire wouldn't have gone out and the plane wouldn't have landed. Glad nobody died.

Looks too sparkly to be fuel. I think Juan is probably on the right track. Expensive pieces of titanium, carbon fiber, and high-grade steel are being pulverized and shot out the back (probably a little fuel in there too though).

Compressor stall - followed by rapid unplanned disassembly of the engine.

Engine failure in other words.

The Mayday call included the words “engine fire” and I am certain that the fire warning was illuminated.

All the drama - explosions, parts shedding, flames - usually stops when you pull the fire handle - and remove the fuel, electric power, isolate hydraulics, and isolate pneumatics. But to run the checklist takes a bit of time, and during that time - with fuel still being supplied, it will try to keep running, and you’ll get the explosions, parts shedding, and flames.

Back