ATF in an engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
The video allows one to draw the wrong conclusion. It may just be me, but it seemed as if the guy in the video already knew the conclusion he was looking for before he started his experiment.

I'm not going to argue about what constitutes trolling. I don't own the etherwebs nor do I think that I need to police it. My opinion on stuff like this is only worth something to me; however, maybe the OP will change his posting etiquette going forward... perhaps not; it's his prerogative.

It's simply my opinion that someone who posts something like this should include with it at least some thought, or at least a disclaimer, stating that they found the video and weren't sure of its conclusions/claims/methods/whatever. It's a pet peeve of mine, people lazily posting nothing more than a link. I mean, BITOG has included Youtube media tagging for a while now. All he had to do is this:

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
The video allows one to draw the wrong conclusion. It may just be me, but it seemed as if the guy in the video already knew the conclusion he was looking for before he started his experiment.

I'm not going to argue about what constitutes trolling. I don't own the etherwebs nor do I think that I need to police it. My opinion on stuff like this is only worth something to me; however, maybe the OP will change his posting etiquette going forward... perhaps not; it's his prerogative.

It's simply my opinion that someone who posts something like this should include with it at least some thought, or at least a disclaimer, stating that they found the video and weren't sure of its conclusions/claims/methods/whatever. It's a pet peeve of mine, people lazily posting nothing more than a link. I mean, BITOG has included Youtube media tagging for a while now.

Point taken, and I will certainly agree that it is, at the very least, good etiquette, as well as a good way to start the conversation. I guess it's just not as big a peeve of mine.

I guess I'm just expecting that since we're mostly all adults on here, we can draw our own conclusions from the video after watching.

One thing I noticed is that, at least from the Timken bearing test, even this synthetic ATF did not protect the bearing as well as proper engine oil - The scar was noticeably bigger after that test for the ATF. IMHO, it was good to see this kind of evidence.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
The video allows one to draw the wrong conclusion. It may just be me, but it seemed as if the guy in the video already knew the conclusion he was looking for before he started his experiment...

...It's simply my opinion that someone who posts something like this should include with it at least some thought, or at least a disclaimer, stating that they found the video and weren't sure of its conclusions/claims/methods/whatever. It's a pet peeve of mine, people lazily posting nothing more than a link. I mean, BITOG has included Youtube media tagging for a while now. All he had to do is this:

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

A waste of time for a ridiculous experiment.

Quote:
Regarding the Use of ATF as a so-called engine cleaner:

In the early days of ATF when it contained an ester called, "Sperm Whale Oil," and a naphthenic base oil, Group I mineral motor oils at the same time had little or no detergency additive.

When added to the poor Group I mineral base oil it did do some cleaning because it 1) was thinner than the old motor oil, 2) the naphthenic base oil and Sperm Whale Oil made a it a mild cleaner.

Today's ATF has only 4.2% of the detergency as do current motor oils and little to no naphthenics. Saying it differently, current Motor Oils average 24 times the detergency of current ATF's.

Naphthenic base oils have poor Viscosity Indices and tend to oxidize quicker than do Group II through IV base oils, which is why Naphthenics are rarely used, except as "solvers," and only in very low amounts.

Naphthenics HAD to be used back then in ATF's in order to bring the Sperm Whale OIL into solution.

Furthermore today's Synthenic ATF's contain less than 5% of any type of ester and average about 1%, depending on the formulation.

Sperm Whale Oil was actually the "Liquid Waxy Ester" derived from the spermaceti organ of the Whale's head.

Liquid Wax Esters today are synthesized (reacted) using bio-acids and selected alcohols.

If you need an effective engine cleaner due to sludge buildup or ring coking, use any of the current products containing a mix of solvents and run up to temp, shut off engine, and then change oil and filter.

LCD Inc, LC20, is a good slow engine cleaner that both softens and "solubilizes" carbon.

ATFs

Last edited:
Well, what I really want to know is if running ATF in the sump is better than running ZMaxxx Ultra Turbo PRO Xxtra 5-30 API SA from the dollar store?
;^)

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Well, what I really want to know is if running ATF in the sump is better than running ZMaxxx Ultra Turbo PRO Xxtra 5-30 API SA from the dollar store?
;^)

Well, I can tell you one thing.. if I was stuck somewhere and the only place nearby sold SuperXXX/Everclear motor oil and a name brand ATF, and I desperately needed to top off my car's oil for some reason, I'd go with the ATF.

...not really saying much, though.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Well, I can tell you one thing.. if I was stuck somewhere and the only place nearby sold SuperXXX/Everclear motor oil and a name brand ATF, and I desperately needed to top off my car's oil for some reason, I'd go with the ATF.

I wouldn't.

Originally Posted By: nascarnation
But in the good old days, when ATF contained a lot of sperm whale oil, I think this myth was born and refuses to die nearly 50 years later.

More like 100 years later....

ATF is made for transmissions. Motor oil is made for engines. Do not try to re-invent the wheel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: code5coupe

I wouldn't.

So you're saying that if you absolutely needed something to add to your engine, and the only choices you had were a quality synthetic name-brand ATF, and This Everclear motor oil, you would use the oil?

I mean, I realize that this is just a mental exercise, and neither is a good choice.. but IMHO, the ATF would be a better choice between the two.

Originally Posted By: code5coupe

I wouldn't.

So you're saying that if you absolutely needed something to add to your engine, and the only choices you had were a quality synthetic name-brand ATF, and This Everclear motor oil, you would use the oil?
That's exactly what I'm saying. I would no more top off my crankcase with ATF than I would top it off with WD-40 (a name brand). You may be putting too much faith in a brand. The name on the bottle's label doesn't help the engine's internals. That's the way I look at it....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back