Atf for my E4od

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by R1jake
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
26 year old transmission...

Stick with what got u this far. (or dont change it at all).

I will let others chime in but i probably wouldnt go with a full syn.

26 year old transmission with 29,000 miles on it. Picked it up a couple years back with 19,800 miles on the van absolutely mint. I want to keep it nice. I do have paperwork where the sellers had it all gone over and serviced at the dealership after a long sit in a garage. The dealership used motorcraft mercon v. I want a synthetic In it.

I'm not sure Mercon V is the correct fluid for it (although Ford may have superseded the original Mercon since then), but there are many good synthetic Dex/Merc ATFs out there, I use (pricy) Red Line D4 in my F-450's parking brake unit, and there have been good reports on (now fully synthetic) Maxlife ATF. I've just only used (Dexron III) Mercon in them.

Mercon was what was originally what ford specified also specifically stating not to use mercon v then after ford stopped making the mercon they then said to use mercon v. They claim the mercon v formula was updated And it now is good for the E4od and what ford currently recommends. Of coarse there are many saying the mercon v is the same as it always was. Kinda like ford specified 5w 30 for engine oil and has now switched to 5w 20 being recommended for my 1994 e150. Not gonna happen.

Originally Posted by R1jake
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
In the past I used Mercon V (back spec'd) in my E4OD ('93 F150). Last fill was M1 ATF. Trans is original and has never failed or given me problems (255k miles). Probably just jinxed myself!

Wow now this is really good to hear. Does yours have a transmission cooler mounted? Have you done much towing with it? Also do you just do a pan drop or remove a cooler line and replace the entire fluid as well?

No, no transmission cooler.
I've only done light towing and short miles with it. But, The previous (original) owner purchased it as a farm truck and towed farm equipment all the time. He did yearly fluid changes on EVERYTHING.
I drop the pan, drain the converter and replace the filter every 60k miles.

Edit: I get the M1 ATF from Amazon in the six single quart box.

Last edited:
Back