ATF change regiment for a new 2017 Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the wife's new Explorer. We buy vehicles for the long haul, mileage and time, they're too expensive to keep flipping them every few years, especially if you run up lots of miles per year. With her "old" 2005 Explorer, which is now mine
grin.gif
, we changed the pan fluid and filter plus did a complete ATF exchange or just a pan drop and filter every 30,000 miles. At 12 years and 193,000 miles it still runs like brand new. I need to have the 2017 Explorer last even longer without tranny problems. According to the OM the normal ATF service is at 150,000 miles
crazy2.gif
, more severe service calls for 30-60,000 mile ATF services. Considering this vehicle is here for the "long haul" I'm planning on changing the pan fluid and filter plus to a complete fluid exchange at 10,000 miles to get the initial wear crud out. After that at every additional 30,000 miles a pan drop and filter change. At 100,000 miles do another pan drop, filter change plus a complete fluid exchange. After that go back to pan drop and filter exchanges every 30,000 miles. It's a lot cheaper to do that than a replacement transmission
thumbsup2.gif

Whimsey

I'd probably wait till at least 15k for the first spill and fill. That's the shortest interval I've ever heard of which was for the problematic Accord V6 transmission, 1998-2002.

I plan on doing my first pan drop, filter change, and line off exchange at 10K miles on my 16 Rubicon. Then every 30K miles after that, which mirrors your plan.
thumbsup2.gif

Sounds like a good plan. Does it take Mercon LV fluid?

The other thing you might look into is adding or supplementing a trans fluid cooler. Heat kills the additive performance of these fluids so keeping it cool should make it remain effective for longer.

On my Tacoma I am sticking to simple drain and fills of the pan capacity until the power train warranty runs out. At that time I'll upgrade the stock trans cooler with a bigger stacked plate unit and then determine if I can keep doing drain and fills or if a cooler line exchange would work better.

That sounds great. Would the transmission run to 150K on the original fluid? Probably. Would running the original fluid to 150K shorten the life of the transmission? Probably. I'm of the mind of thinking that preventative maintenance goes a long way. I do a single drain and fill on my Accord once a year, this replaces 3 quarts per drain keeping a healthy level of fresh additives in the fluid at all times.

Even more important than the trans fluid is the ptu or transfer case and to a lesser degree the rear diff. I would do them somewhere around every 30k. And u will have to use a suction device to drain and fill

Sounds good. I'd look as space in the pan to place more magnets to pick up wear metals a filter can never touch. Most modern trannies have very little room, so look closely.

Since I've placed more mags inside the tranny, there's less debris spread across the pan or getting back into the valve body where lots of shift problem originate.

Neodynium bar mags 2" long X 3/16" square or so, have a strong field and will show lots of pick up then a cheap ceramic ring magnet. Often, there's only enough room for 1 OEM ring magnet. Bar magnets often get around this limitation.

Good plan to change frequently. Install a drain plug for ease of service.

Installed a drain plug (made from aviation fittings) on my 98 F150 when it was nearly new. Changed 4 quarts with Mobil 1 ATF, every other oil change (10,000) miles, up until the 250K mark. Still going strong with 330,000 miles on it.

I have 15 explorer and plan on a drain and fill every other oil change around 20k. Since the filter is internal and can't be changed with out splitting the case this is really the only thing you can do.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
That sounds great. Would the transmission run to 150K on the original fluid? Probably. Would running the original fluid to 150K shorten the life of the transmission? Probably. I'm of the mind of thinking that preventative maintenance goes a long way. I do a single drain and fill on my Accord once a year, this replaces 3 quarts per drain keeping a healthy level of fresh additives in the fluid at all times.

I have a customer with a F150 4.6l 3V motor and the 6 speed auto that made it to about 140k before the trans went. No major towing and did not make it to 150k. I asked when he changed the fluid and he said "I thought it was filled for life...".

He knows now to change the fluid much more often. A LOT cheaper as well.

I do 30k pan drops or drain/fills.

You might check and see what type of dipstick it uses. If it's like my 14 Mustang GT, its a very short one that you have to access from under the vehicle and the vehicle has to be flat.

I plan on changing mine at 30,000 miles but I have not figured out how to do it since I don't have access to a lift.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

Sounds good. I'd look as space in the pan to place more magnets to pick up wear metals a filter can never touch. Most modern trannies have very little room, so look closely.

Since I've placed more mags inside the tranny, there's less debris spread across the pan or getting back into the valve body where lots of shift problem originate.

Neodynium bar mags 2" long X 3/16" square or so, have a strong field and will show lots of pick up then a cheap ceramic ring magnet. Often, there's only enough room for 1 OEM ring magnet. Bar magnets often get around this limitation.

I like the additional magnets idea. I will be doing that to my Rubicon when I drop the pan. I had done it many years ago to other vehicles and had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder!

Sounds good to me, I am all in favor of changing out ATF at regular intervals. When you see how much one of those transmissions costs, fluid is cheap. Also if your vehicle is AWD, change out the PTU fluid also. I currently have 3 PTUs for CHP Explorers sitting in front of me waiting to be picked up by techs to replace.

I looked at the PTU on my 2015 Explorer - can't find drain or fill so guess it is suck from vent model ?

PTU fill plug is on the passenger side. It is a square-drive plug - a 3/8" drive ratchet extension can be used to remove it.

As previously noted, the 6F transmissions have an internal filter and no pan. The drain plug is easy to find on the bottom of the unit, and the shorty dipstick is located under the air filter housing.

I normally stick to following schedule:
- complete flush on a vehicle with 30K miles and then
- drain and fill every 30K miles

I'd rather have clean - "no suspended abrasive material" fluid to start with at 30K and then flush sediments out often.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
After that at every additional 30,000 miles a pan drop and filter change.

You are crazy, no need to ever drop the pan if you remove suspended transmission grime every 30K.

You are exposing yourself to leaks by dropping the pans and x-threading those ever so soft tranny case, check there may never be a filter in the VB, it may be a screen.

But your PM schedule is indeed crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back