Astro Pneumatic 1/2" ONYX Nano Impact Wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want one, too! It would be super handy in tight spots.

Where is it $95? Cheapest I've found was $100. I may order one this summer.

I don’t own this tool (i will shortly after seeing this
11.gif
) but i do have some onyx air tools like the air buffer. The quality is good, nothing to fear there.

That's pretty neat from a depth and size perspective, but for the casual user, it still has the hassle of air hoses and compressors.

Sure I've foiled some cordless guns with corroded fasteners, and I do own an aircat, but at the end of the day, corded electrics and air tools all hold the same hassles to the casual user - another five minutes to bring out, drag around the car inconveniently, and another thing that's ultimately in the way and has to get put away. Ok call me lazy, it's ok, I said casual user upfront. And many should know that I'm also critical on battery longevity for cordless tools...

It's just to me it seems like a no win and why not fairly easily just get 450 ft-b
Lb with a 2-3' cheater and minimal difficulty?

Signed,

Lazy

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
That's pretty neat from a depth and size perspective, but for the casual user, it still has the hassle of air hoses and compressors.

Sure I've foiled some cordless guns with corroded fasteners, and I do own an aircat, but at the end of the day, corded electrics and air tools all hold the same hassles to the casual user - another five minutes to bring out, drag around the car inconveniently, and another thing that's ultimately in the way and has to get put away. Ok call me lazy, it's ok, I said casual user upfront. And many should know that I'm also critical on battery longevity for cordless tools...

It's just to me it seems like a no win and why not fairly easily just get 450 ft-b
Lb with a 2-3' cheater and minimal difficulty?

Signed,

Lazy

I used to think that way up until I bought a 60 gallon air compressor about 2 months ago to replace a smaller unit. I'm kicking myself for not buying and using more air tools 35+ years ago when I bought my first house.

You're not lazy at all, I'm the lazy one. Now I look for excuses to use air tools. LOL

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I used to think that way up until I bought a 60 gallon air compressor about 2 months ago to replace a smaller unit. I'm kicking myself for not buying and using more air tools 35+ years ago when I bought my first house.

You're not lazy at all, I'm the lazy one. Now I look for excuses to use air tools. LOL

I was late to the impact game because of the same kind of thinking- impacts are for lazy people, abusive mechanics who overtorque everything, it takes time to drag them out, I have a 3' breaker, etc.

Getting older I started looking for ways to both up my game and lower my effort, and impact was the only thing missing. I started out small with the 110 ft-lb Bosch 18V 1/2" impact gun, and was very impressed by the ability to remove spinny things easily, like mower blades and chainsaw clutches. I was kicking myself for not getting one sooner, especially on the mower blade thing, since that is a recurring task and I do twice a year on one 3-blade mower and one 1-blade mower.

Then I got an IR air gun, at first it was lamer than my little Bosch cordless. After eliminating Chinese made Universal quick connects in favor of GuardAir High Flows, I'm kicking myself again. Tire rotations are now quick and easy. My IR is the quiet type, and now that it is getting enough air, I can speed lug nuts on and off on setting 1/5 and just finish-up with my torque wrench. I'm now doing tire rotations as often as I'm supposed to!

I rediscovered my old air ratchet while doing shocks on my truck, due to clearance issues that disallowed both my electric and my air impact. Now I'd hate to do the job without them!

I don't take any position on air versus cordless, use whatever works for you. I use both. Eventually cordless will catch up with the bigger air impacts in power, if not weight. They will probably stay more expensive and need replacement more often, especially if you already have your own air.

no, Im too lazy to pull the air hose to the job, lug the hose and tool around the tires to different sides of the car, etc., then put it away...

The use of impact to simplify and hasten a job is great!

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I was late to the impact game because of the same kind of thinking- impacts are for lazy people, abusive mechanics who overtorque everything, it takes time to drag them out, I have a 3' breaker, etc.

Getting older I started looking for ways to both up my game and lower my effort, and impact was the only thing missing. I started out small with the 110 ft-lb Bosch 18V 1/2" impact gun, and was very impressed by the ability to remove spinny things easily, like mower blades and chainsaw clutches. I was kicking myself for not getting one sooner, especially on the mower blade thing, since that is a recurring task and I do twice a year on one 3-blade mower and one 1-blade mower.

Then I got an IR air gun, at first it was lamer than my little Bosch cordless. After eliminating Chinese made Universal quick connects in favor of GuardAir High Flows, I'm kicking myself again. Tire rotations are now quick and easy. My IR is the quiet type, and now that it is getting enough air, I can speed lug nuts on and off on setting 1/5 and just finish-up with my torque wrench. I'm now doing tire rotations as often as I'm supposed to!

I rediscovered my old air ratchet while doing shocks on my truck, due to clearance issues that disallowed both my electric and my air impact. Now I'd hate to do the job without them!

I don't take any position on air versus cordless, use whatever works for you. I use both. Eventually cordless will catch up with the bigger air impacts in power, if not weight. They will probably stay more expensive and need replacement more often, especially if you already have your own air.

I'm rapidly building my air tool collection now. As I get older I find myself working smarter, looking to save time, and energy any way I possibly can.

I like the IR tools, and Aircat tools. Next tools on the list are the Aircat 1150, an IR air saw, and the Astro tool that started this thread. I should be pretty well set after that. Don't get me wrong cordless tools are good too, but now that I have this bigger compressor the power the air tools offer is awesome.

I will be rust proofing a few vehicles this fall with it too.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
no, Im too lazy to pull the air hose to the job, lug the hose and tool around the tires to different sides of the car, etc., then put it away...

The use of impact to simplify and hasten a job is great!

Get a longer hose. I can jack up and rotate tires so much faster with the aircat. Saves so much time removing the tires. i can probably do a car in 15min. And that's with using a torque wrench by hand for the final tightening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back